Sign in to follow this  
chosen12

Interesting position on Rashards contract...what side do you fall on?

quote:
Originally posted by nbr:

All in all, the majority of these athletes don't deserve the kinda money their on. So good luck to him and them.

For anyone who agrees with the above statement, I'd like to get a better understanding of your position. I have two questions and probably some follow up questions if anyone answers this.

Why do they not deserve the money they make? What kind of money do they deserve?

I'm being completely serious here, I really would like to know the answers to these questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

All in all, the majority of these athletes don't deserve the kinda money their on. So good luck to him and them.

For anyone who agrees with the above statement, I'd like to get a better understanding of your position. I have two questions and probably some follow up questions if anyone answers this.

Why do they not deserve the money they make? What kind of money do they deserve?

I'm being completely serious here, I really would like to know the answers to these questions.

Maybe this may help clarify my position...........

NSCMCB3-coal-miner-mallet-1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bauncey Chillups:

Rashard's awesome expiring contract will get us Chris Paul. He'll be yearning to play next to two-time Finals MVP Dwight Howard.

Don't tease the gullible Magic fans into believing this, Thats just mean and un-realistic. Asmuch as I'd love for it to happen we all know it won't.

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

I always wondered if Rashard read this board....now I know he does. Sure he should be getting paid more than Dwight, Kobe, Lebron and everyone (read everyone) in the NBA LOL. If we decide to pay lux tax and it isnt my money...why not?

Isn't he like the sixteenth highest player in the league? Behind a lot of players obviously inferior to him?

And he may not be a franchise calibur player, but if it really required us to pay him a max deal, then he wasn't overpaid. He is an influential piece of a team that should compete for the next decade. Valuable.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Isn't he like the sixteenth highest player in the league? Behind a lot of players obviously inferior to him?

shard is 9th in the league as far as salary goes. ahead of him in order are...

1. tmac - 23,239,561

2. kobe - 23,034,375

3. jermaine o'neal - 22,995,000

4. duncan - 22,183,218

5. shaq - 20,000,000

6. dirk - 19,795,714

7. pierce - 19,795,712

8. allen - 19,766,860

9. shard - 18,876,000

10. redd - 17,040,000

quote:
Originally posted by M4G1C:

shard is 9th in the league as far as salary goes. ahead of him in order are...

1. tmac - 23,239,561

2. kobe - 23,034,375

3. jermaine o'neal - 22,995,000

4. duncan - 22,183,218

5. shaq - 20,000,000

6. dirk - 19,795,714

7. pierce - 19,795,712

8. allen - 19,766,860

9. shard - 18,876,000

10. redd - 17,040,000

So, which players above him are worth more?

1) TMac - frequently injured, never played past the 1st round of the playoffs - No

2) Kobe - duh, - YES

3) J O'Neal - put a fork in him, he's done - No

4) Duncan - with recent injury problems, this one is wait and see - Maybe

5) Shaq - if he stays focused and in shape, Maybe - if he becomes final year in Miami Shaq - No

6) Dirk - the player whose game best compares with Shard's, both have gone to the finals - Even

7) Pierce - I'm not a big fan, but finals MVP has to count for something - Reluctantly Yes

8) R Allen - if he plays like he did in the 1st round playoffs, Maybe - playoffs vs Magic - NO

Okay, so how about below him. D12, Wade, KG (if healthy), Melo, Lebron, CP3, are probably worth more and receive less. Roy, Bosh, DWilliams, Odom, P Gasol, Boozer, VCarter are probably worth about the same. If you have an "omission", tell me who and why. I might disagree with you, or I might have just missed them. After all, there are 450 player slots available in the NBA. FYI, I didn't miss Durant, I just don't think he merits inclusion in this discussion yet. Maybe in a year or two, but I don't think he has done enough to improve his team yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

You can't put a price on the amount of money they deserve and really, I'm surprised this needs explaining.

Consider the body of work for the cause, the money these athletes earn is hardly deserving. Money isn't the be all and end all of a happy life, but it goes a long way toward the ease at which one can live, financially.

They play basketball.

quote:

Consider the body of work for the cause, the money these athletes earn is hardly deserving. Money isn't the be all and end all of a happy life, but it goes a long way toward the ease at which one can live, financially.

They play basketball.

The body of work has nothing to do with the equation. The NBA is a business, a very successful business, that markets itself by marketing it's players. They are being paid exorbitant amounts of money because the league makes exorbitant amounts of money, and as the focal point of the product, they deserve to be paid accordingly.

You can sit here and say that they don't "deserve" all this money, but the fact that you are "sitting here" on an NBA forum supporting an NBA team, most likely means that you feed into the system and help create the value of the league today. Don't the players deserve their piece of the action?

Aside from echo's explanation, these are arguably the best of the best basketball players in the world. Very few people can put their bodies through the stressful activity basketball, and most sports, players can for roughly 10 years. They deserve it.

quote:

You can't put a price on the amount of money they deserve and really, I'm surprised this needs explaining.

They play basketball.

You still haven't explained anything. You've restated your position that athletes don't deserve the money they make because they are athletes. What I want to know is why they don't deserve it. What about the fact that they get paid to play basketball makes them undeserving?

Is it that what they do isn't noble in your opinion? Is it the amount of physical labor involved? By your use of a picture of a miner I would assume that the very least you believe that miners deserve more money than athletes. Why? Please elaborate.

The question about how much money they do deserve is important as well, because it determines how you think the NBA and other sports leagues should ideally be run. Saying that you can't quantify how much they deserve defeats your entire argument. For you to be able to say that they are undeserving of what they currently make, there must be a threshold somewhere. An exact figure isn't necessary, but you can at least give me a ballpark number of what would be acceptable.