Sign in to follow this  
TheRevTy

Will this matter?

The NBA changed the rims on the backboard this year, so as to add a side-breakaway feature. However, they also tweaked the construction of the rim:

rimh.jpg

While this may seem insignificant, if any of you have ever tried shooting on a 'double rim' (which are often found on outdoor hoops) balls tend to rim out a lot more often. I am not sure if the actual width of the metal on the rim has changed, so I don't know if it will make a difference. Interesting to note nonetheless.

The NBA changed the rims on the backboard this year, so as to add a side-breakaway feature. However, they also tweaked the construction of the rim:

rimh.jpg

While this may seem insignificant, if any of you have ever tried shooting on a 'double rim' (which are often found on outdoor hoops) balls tend to rim out a lot more often. I am not sure if the actual width of the metal on the rim has changed, so I don't know if it will make a difference. Interesting to note nonetheless.

The players will probably complain about it until they change it back at the All Star break.

Nice call Jec. Double rims do have the tendency to make the ball rattle out of the rim. Those are the most annoying type of rims to me.

this can't be good for jj... in the grand scheme of things, i think you will see bigger clanks, but i don't believe it will be that much of a difference. just one more thing boston and cleveland can use an excuse though... icon_smile.gif

Nice find. Not a fan of those 'double-rimmed; hoops. They really suck for shooters, but at the same time those long rebounds might benefit us because of all the 3 pointers we shoot.

Kind of makes you wonder if this has anything to do with Vince's shooting woes thus far in the preseason. A seasoned vet would probably be affected more by this than a young guy who recently played college ball.

What is the NBA's fascination with altering things? First the ball, now this? Its not like there are that many requirements to play basketball. A ball. A rim.

What's next? Sythetic floor? Saran Wrap backboards?

And WHAT's the deal with airline food??? I can even look at it, the guy next to me is ordering seconds!