HoopsCzar

HoopsCzar asks if the Bop in Boise was handled fairly

quote:
Originally posted by crisby pancakes:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

How many athletes do we have in this thread? How many college athletes? Zero? I know of one for sure

A subtle way to get your baseball status out there. I would end you on the bball court. smile_bball.gif

Seriously, baseball is a sport?? icon_wink.gif

Well, it's not golf, I'll give you that.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

So if a guy talks smack to you all week, then fails to back it up on the field, calling him out on that means you deserve to gt punched? You all are idiots if you think that.

How many athletes do we have in this thread? How many college athletes? Zero? I know of one for sure, and you all who think Hout got what he deserved are delusional and have no idea of the nature of College sports.

The dumb Oregon **** went after fans, thats why he's gone, the sucker punch because he was butthurt that he lost after talking **** all week just adds to his classless rep. Basically don't talk **** if you can't back it up, then don't sucker punch someone who calls you out on it.

What if Mo Williams sucker punched Rafer Alston after the ECF when he called him out in the press conference? Would you all be defending Williams? Doubt it.

If alston had gotten in his face and talked crap after the conference finals then i would say he deserved whatever punch he got. Not saying that mo wouldnt deserve whatever punishment was levied on him for sucker punching someone.

im not gonna say that Blount is blameless. But to say that Hout is innocent here is just as stupid as saying blount should have thrown the punch. You dont go and humiliate someone after a game like that. It shows just how much of a lack of class you have. Notice how his coach, instead of going to make sure his players didnt get into a brawl with the other team, got right up in the dudes face and let him have it. His own player, who just got punched, and his coach is letting him have it for trash talking.

That just shows you how much of a dick move it was by hout. Now is Blount an absolute idiot for responding the way he did? Yes. Was he a fool for striking his own players and then charging the fans? Hell yes.

That in no way execuses Hout though. He deliberately sought Blount out for the soul purpose of humiliating him after his team already beat them down. I'm sorry, say whatever you want, but that is low. And any real athlete with class will tell you that.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

You dont go and humiliate someone after a game like that. It shows just how much of a lack of class you have.

That in no way execuses Hout though. He deliberately sought Blount out for the soul purpose of humiliating him after his team already beat them down. I'm sorry, say whatever you want, but that is low. And any real athlete with class will tell you that.

All things being equal, yes. But I have to excuse this to some degree based on Blount's trash talking all week long. If you are going to run your mouth talking trash, you better be able to back it up, or be prepared to deal with the other team talking trash when you fail.

Don't start **** you can't finish.

Sure, Hout went out of his way to call Blount out, but in this case, wrong though he may have been in his approach, I can't fault the intent. Blount deserved to be called out. He started the whole mess to begin with.

quote:

Its not like Hout went and called out some random Oregon player after the win, he went directly after the player (Blount) who had been talking **** all week. If you can't handle getting beat, then get out of sports, and stop talking **** if you can't back it up.

And for the people calling Hout a *****, how many times have you been sucker punched?

It wasn't handled fairly at all. I felt like Blount was wrong for reacting the way he did but he shouldn't have been suspended for the rest of the season. It should've been at least 4-6 games suspension for BOTH players. Blount was clearly walking off the field in the video and Hout had to come up to him, put his hand on him and saying something that set him off. This would've never happened if Hout didn't say or do nothing. Things happen and this isn't the first time a fight or punch happened in a football game. The penalty was way to strict and needs to be reduced. Hout just gets a slap on the wrist. Nothing happens to him. If I was Blount I would be contacting Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson immediately. Yeah he was wrong but dang it was not as bad as it seemed. Yeah suspend both players and move on. Not just 1 of them. Hout didn't throw the punch but he instigated it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

It wasn't handled fairly at all. I felt like Blount was wrong for reacting the way he did but he shouldn't have been suspended for the rest of the season. It should've been at least 4-6 games suspension for BOTH players. Blount was clearly walking off the field in the video and Hout had to come up to him, put his hand on him and saying something that set him off. This would've never happened if Hout didn't say or do nothing. Things happen and this isn't the first time a fight or punch happened in a football game. The penalty was way to strict and needs to be reduced. Hout just gets a slap on the wrist. Nothing happens to him. If I was Blount I would be contacting Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson immediately. Yeah he was wrong but dang it was not as bad as it seemed. Yeah suspend both players and move on. Not just 1 of them. Hout didn't throw the punch but he instigated it.

So if you were to shove someone in the arm, and they turned around and shot you in the chest, you'd be equally culpable because you started it?

When things like this happen, I like to think of how it would look if the same thing happened with a group of wild animals instead of humans.

When you've eliminated competition for food, territory and mating opportunities as reasons for physical confrontations, fighting looks incredibly silly.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

All things being equal, yes. But I have to excuse this to some degree based on Blount's trash talking all week long. If you are going to run your mouth talking trash, you better be able to back it up, or be prepared to deal with the other team talking trash when you fail.

Don't start **** you can't finish.

Sure, Hout went out of his way to call Blount out, but in this case, wrong though he may have been in his approach, I can't fault the intent. Blount deserved to be called out. He started the whole mess to begin with.

See the problem is, how often do you hear of people talking smack before a big game. And make no doubt about it. This was the game Oregon and Boise State had circled on their calendars. How many times do we as fans hear smack talk going back and forth before games like this?

A lot. And yet you don't see this kinda crap happen. Examples. Trash talking between rivals like the Gators and Seminoles. Lots of Jawing in the lead up before the game. And only on a few occasions has it ever turned into a fight.

How about closer to home? Mo Williams talks smack on how the Magic cant beat them in a 7 game series and guarantees victory. Now no Magic player goes and gets in his face after the victory and says "how about that guarantee now *****?"

Why? Cause the Magic have players with some real class. But lets just say one of them didn't. Let's just say Rafer went up to him and said that. Now I like to believe in the good in people, but I wouldn't have been surprised at all if Mo didn't just cold **** him right in the face. Would Mo be right at all in doing it? Of course not. But Rafer brought that upon himself by not being the better man and seeking to humiliate his opponent. He incited violence.

Wither or not that violence is wrong is not the question. I think we all can agree that Blount is a moron and was completely wrong here. That does not however excuse Hout of his actions.

quote:

Its not like Hout went and called out some random Oregon player after the win, he went directly after the player (Blount) who had been talking **** all week. If you can't handle getting beat, then get out of sports, and stop talking **** if you can't back it up.

And for the people calling Hout a *****, how many times have you been sucker punched?

Has happened to me a few times actually but I digress. If anything that makes Hout even more dumb. So what, you wanna go right for the guy who is the best player on his team (probably considered a vocal leader in the locker room), and just completely got shut down in the first and one of the biggest games of the season? Not only that but is also probably very embarrassed that he talked so much stuff but then had such a bad game? Yeah that sounds smart.

How about you try walking into a bar. Find a guy who had a really bad day that you know, and talk some smack to his face. If you don't get punched then you know what, your talking to a very good man who knows how to control himself. 70% of the time (and that's being conservative) I guarantee that's not what is going to happen.

quote:

So if you were to shove someone in the arm, and they turned around and shot you in the chest, you'd be equally culpable because you started it?

Definitely not equally culpable, but to say the man is blameless would be pretty dumb. If he doesn't needllesly shove a man in the arm then the other man wouldn't pull a gun out and shoot him.

Just because one man's wrongs outweigh another man's does not mean the lesser wrong is innocent. Especially if his wrong preceded the other man's.

Again I'm not saying that Blount is innocent here. But does this situation happen if Hout is a better, smarter, and classier man? No it does not. To me that makes him guilty. As guilty as Blount? No. But guilty none the less.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

Again I'm not saying that Blount is innocent here. But does this situation happen if Hout is a better, smarter, and classier man? No it does not. To me that makes him guilty. As guilty as Blount? No. But guilty none the less.

In my hypothetical, you never get shot had you been a better, classier man. So you should be thrown in jail, right? Maybe not as long as the person who shot you, but certainly for a while. I mean, you had no right to shove that person in the arm, right?

That's the difference here. You're trying to argue that because Hout acted first, he deserves a suspension, which completely ignores the nature of what Hout actually DID in favor of judging it based on the response it drew. That's stupid.

If a guy grabs slaps your girlfriend at the bar, and you turned around and stabbed him in the throat, his punishment shouldn't be based on you losing your **** mind. His punishment should be based on slapping your girlfriend, because that's the only thing HE did.

Hout? He taunted an opposing player after a game. That's it. That's ALL he did. You can argue it was classless. It was. He should be running the steps for hours at a time(and probably has been). But Hout didn't make Blount sucker punch him, Hout didn't make Blount punch his teammate, and Hout didn't make Blount charge after two fans. Blount did those things.

And even if you wanted to argue that Blount's sucker punch was directly caused by Hout's taunting, a claim that is retarded at best, you still can't say that Hout's taunt led to the punching of a teammate or charging at the fans, and really, we should call a spade a spade: Blount was in a lot more trouble for charging the fans than he ever was for punching Hout. And since Hout was clearly blameless for that, I don't get what your argument is.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

In my hypothetical, you never get shot had you been a better, classier man. So you should be thrown in jail, right? Maybe not as long as the person who shot you, but certainly for a while. I mean, you had no right to shove that person in the arm, right?

That's the difference here. You're trying to argue that because Hout acted first, he deserves a suspension, which completely ignores the nature of what Hout actually DID in favor of judging it based on the response it drew. That's stupid.

If a guy grabs slaps your girlfriend at the bar, and you turned around and stabbed him in the throat, his punishment shouldn't be based on you losing your **** mind. His punishment should be based on slapping your girlfriend, because that's the only thing HE did.

Hout? He taunted an opposing player after a game. That's it. That's ALL he did. You can argue it was classless. It was. He should be running the steps for hours at a time(and probably has been). But Hout didn't make Blount sucker punch him, Hout didn't make Blount punch his teammate, and Hout didn't make Blount charge after two fans. Blount did those things.

And even if you wanted to argue that Blount's sucker punch was directly caused by Hout's taunting, a claim that is retarded at best, you still can't say that Hout's taunt led to the punching of a teammate or charging at the fans, and really, we should call a spade a spade: Blount was in a lot more trouble for charging the fans than he ever was for punching Hout. And since Hout was clearly blameless for that, I don't get what your argument is.

I do believe that if your crime incites another more serious crime, your crime should be handled in a different manner. Why? Because you have completely changed the situation because of your acts.

If you were to slap a man's girlfriend, with full knowledge that the boyfriend was there, (I say full knowledge because, Hout knew what Blount had said, and as a fellow football player, should know what his state of mind would be after a loss), his crime is not only for slapping the girl, but also for Inciting Violence by the Boyfriend.

And sorry but saying Blount's punch was directly caused by Hout's words isn't retarded buddy. It's called Inciting Violence and it is actually a legal term that is punishable by law. That's why I say that Hout's offense is more then just simply being classless and warrants more then just simply running steps (which actually was my favorite drill in football... I was one of the few that hated weight training but loved conditioning).

And as for the argument of Blount's actions after the punch, I am not trying to defend those at all. If anything I think his worse offense was charging the fans, followed by hitting his own team mates, then finally punching Hout, in that order. And I believe that if he did deserve a full season suspension, it should be for the reason of charging the Fan's before any one else. So I am in complete agreement with you there.

Now does he end up doing those other two things if Hout whips him up into that fury with his words? I really don't know. Who knows what could have set Blount off. My key worry here is that Hout incited Violence and has basically got off scot free.

What a stunning display of ignorance on the part of so many.

Where in our society is it deemed acceptable to respond to taunting words with acts of violence? Or where is the equality in those actions?

Some folks have been watching the WWWF (or whatever professional wrestling league you now watch) for wwwaaaaaayyyyyyy too long, and they actually base their conscious on these concepts. Jerry Springer would be proud.

Being totally disconnected from rational thought must be a disturbing existence.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

What a stunning display of ignorance on the part of so many.

Where in our society is it deemed acceptable to respond to taunting words with acts of violence? Or where is the equality in those actions?

Some folks have been watching the WWWF (or whatever professional wrestling league you now watch) for wwwaaaaaayyyyyyy too long, and they actually base their conscious on these concepts. Jerry Springer would be proud.

Being totally disconnected from rational thought must be a disturbing existence.

Who here has said what Blount did is acceptable. I know I haven't, and I don't seem to remember any one else saying it either. What most people seem to be arguing right now is wither or not Hout's actions deserved a harsher punishment.

Your post seems to be one of the more ignorant one's in this entire thread.