Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

HoopsWorld ranks NBA PG's-Jameer not top 12- Disrespect?

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

Rondo is 10x better defensively, a better passer,rebounder and has improved his jumpshot a lot and is younger. He has more upside plain and simple. As far as the attitude I pointed that out in an earlier post and who really knows how bad it is, but I think Boston has enough veteran players it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

You keep repeating this bolded point, and no matter how many times you do so, it won't make it true. Rondo had an 37.5% eFG%, which is less than 5% higher than Dwight Howard's. His 3pt% went up a little, I guess, but we're talking about a sample size of .6 attempts a game, which is hardly definitive.

And Rondo isn't a great man defender, no matter how many times you say he is either. He's a player who gambles a lot for steals and sags WAY off his man, but has a good enough defense behind him to get away with it. Put Rondo on a bad defensive team, and he's a slightly better version of Larry Hughes on defense.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:

I think Meer should be on the list but the guy has had 1/2 a good season. So I can see why he is not, he is undersized and is still learning how to run an offense. Add in what a huge defensive liability he is and it makes sense. Now if he can come in this year and play a whole year like he did last year and lead his team through the playoffs he will get the respect. As far as Rondo, I think he might be the best PG in the east, maybe Harris. The guy is an elite defender at his position ,runs an offense well, elite rebounder at his position and has gotten better every year with his shooting. So saying oh Rondo sucks is nothing but being a homer and not being objective. I would take Rondo on my team in a heartbeat, and sorry to say but if Boston offered me Rondo for Meer straight up I would do it.

I personally think that Tony Parker is the best PG in the league. Paul has crazy stats but has won nothing and has not shown up in big games. Parker last year carried the Spurs by himself and is the best PG at getting to the rim in the league.

Jameer is a better on ball defender than Rondo. Rajon Rondo is a defensive liability because he just doesn't want to try to keep his man in front, he wants to try to make a spectactular defensive play and seven times out of eight, he is leaving a lane wide open. Anybody who is best known for "playing behind his man" SUCKS AT DEFENSE. And Harris isn't a better player than Jameer. Jameer can do more things offensively but he isn't asked to. Switch roles and the Magic would have an underachieving point guard while the Nets would get a 20+ point per game player in Jameer.

That said, you are right with Parker. Although I don't think he is the best in the league, I think Chauncey Billups and him are neck and neck. All Paul has done is get popular because of gaudy statlines with Billups and Parker, you know, win games and championships.

hahaha WHAT?!

That is a reason why Rondo is considered to be so good. He's one of the best defenders in the game, on ball at least.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

Rondo is 10x better defensively, a better passer,rebounder and has improved his jumpshot a lot and is younger. He has more upside plain and simple. As far as the attitude I pointed that out in an earlier post and who really knows how bad it is, but I think Boston has enough veteran players it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

You keep repeating this bolded point, and no matter how many times you do so, it won't make it true. Rondo had an 37.5% eFG%, which is less than 5% higher than Dwight Howard's. His 3pt% went up a little, I guess, but we're talking about a sample size of .6 attempts a game, which is hardly definitive.

And Rondo isn't a great man defender, no matter how many times you say he is either. He's a player who gambles a lot for steals and sags WAY off his man, but has a good enough defense behind him to get away with it. Put Rondo on a bad defensive team, and he's a slightly better version of Larry Hughes on defense.

I never said Rondo was a great jump shooter. I said he improved a lot in one year which he did. In 2007 he shot 32.5 eFG%, as you already pointed out in 2008 he shot 37.5%. That is a big jump for a 22 year old kid. His FG% went up from 42% to 50%. So exactly like I said he improved a lot and would not be surprised to see him shoot nearly 40% this year which would be really good.

Hughes was known as a very good defender, so slightly better is a compliment. He is the best defensive PG in the league, you could argue a couple other but you have to put Rondo up their. Meer is average on his best day but his size makes him a liability ALWAYS. Put in Rondo's age and we have not seen a PG defensively like him in a while. The guy is probably 3 years away from his prime.

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:

I think Meer should be on the list but the guy has had 1/2 a good season. So I can see why he is not, he is undersized and is still learning how to run an offense. Add in what a huge defensive liability he is and it makes sense. Now if he can come in this year and play a whole year like he did last year and lead his team through the playoffs he will get the respect. As far as Rondo, I think he might be the best PG in the east, maybe Harris. The guy is an elite defender at his position ,runs an offense well, elite rebounder at his position and has gotten better every year with his shooting. So saying oh Rondo sucks is nothing but being a homer and not being objective. I would take Rondo on my team in a heartbeat, and sorry to say but if Boston offered me Rondo for Meer straight up I would do it.

I personally think that Tony Parker is the best PG in the league. Paul has crazy stats but has won nothing and has not shown up in big games. Parker last year carried the Spurs by himself and is the best PG at getting to the rim in the league.

Jameer is a better on ball defender than Rondo. Rajon Rondo is a defensive liability because he just doesn't want to try to keep his man in front, he wants to try to make a spectactular defensive play and seven times out of eight, he is leaving a lane wide open. Anybody who is best known for "playing behind his man" SUCKS AT DEFENSE. And Harris isn't a better player than Jameer. Jameer can do more things offensively but he isn't asked to. Switch roles and the Magic would have an underachieving point guard while the Nets would get a 20+ point per game player in Jameer.

That said, you are right with Parker. Although I don't think he is the best in the league, I think Chauncey Billups and him are neck and neck. All Paul has done is get popular because of gaudy statlines with Billups and Parker, you know, win games and championships.

hahaha WHAT?!

That is a reason why Rondo is considered to be so good. He's one of the best defenders in the game, on ball at least.

Yeah try telling that to these guys, if they don't play for the Magic they suck. Meer is one of the worst defensive Pg's in the league and Rondo is known for his defense and rebounding and penetration.

quote:

2 weeks before he got hurt his numbers started to decline and i would bet money his FG% goes down because it is not realistic.

Do you think about anything you write before you post it? At all? I mean, basic fact checking proves this point to be pulled completely out of fantasy, and you look like a complete fool for writing something so blatantly at war with reality.

In the last 10 games Jameer played in the regular season, including the game he got hurt, he was 62 out of 128, for a FG% of 48.44%. That's less than 2% off his regular season total. Literally, if he makes 2 more shots over a 10 game period, he's shooting his season average.

And that's during a time frame where he was shooting what was a hugely disproportionate number of 3s. Jameer averaged 4.3 3PAs a game for the year out of 12.4 shot attempts, so 34.68% of his attempts were 3s, but during that period 50 out of those 128 shots were 3 point attempts, or 39.06% of his shot attempts. So shooting an extra half 3PA a game, his FG% was 2% lower than it was overall. Wow, we need to stop the presses on that one.

Jameer DID have a very rough first half of January, but since that was already included in his season average, AND he'd clearly moved past that slump already(as indicated by the stats from mid January into early February I've provided). Honestly, dude, I just feel bad for you at this point.

This is the part where you tell me I'm wrong because your dad was a scout.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sometimes I think you post the most outlandish thing that pops into your head just to get a reaction.

I said Rondo was better right now than Meer, and that Tony Parker is the best PG in the league, hardly seems outlandish.

Its a toss up between Jameer and Rondo. I can see both sides of that argument. The idea that Parker is a better point guard than Paul is laughably absurd. I'm sure you will out do yourself eventually...but that is a winner.

Its actually not absurd at all, Parker is a winner and makes his whole team better. But if you don't agree thats fine, but saying oh thats laughable makes you sound ignorant. Its not like I'm saying Rafer Alston is, now that would be absurd.

Chris Paul doesn't make his team better? The Hornets would be fortunate to win 35 games without Paul on the roster. Please tell me one thing that Parker does better than Paul. Anything. Your "he's a winner" argument is a load of hogwash. Put Tim Duncan on the Hornets and I would venture a guess that the Hornets win a few championships as well. I stand by my original statement. Your opinion on this matter is laughably absurd.

quote:

quote:

2 weeks before he got hurt his numbers started to decline and i would bet money his FG% goes down because it is not realistic.

Do you think about anything you write before you post it? At all? I mean, basic fact checking proves this point to be pulled completely out of fantasy, and you look like a complete fool for writing something so blatantly at war with reality.

In the last 10 games Jameer played in the regular season, including the game he got hurt, he was 62 out of 128, for a FG% of 48.44%. That's less than 2% off his regular season total. Literally, if he makes 2 more shots over a 10 game period, he's shooting his season average.

And that's during a time frame where he was shooting what was a hugely disproportionate number of 3s. Jameer averaged 4.3 3PAs a game for the year out of 12.4 shot attempts, so 34.68% of his attempts were 3s, but during that period 50 out of those 128 shots were 3 point attempts, or 39.06% of his shot attempts. So shooting an extra half 3PA a game, his FG% was 2% lower than it was overall. Wow, we need to stop the presses on that one.

Jameer DID have a very rough first half of January, but since that was already included in his season average, AND he'd clearly moved past that slump already(as indicated by the stats from mid January into early February I've provided). Honestly, dude, I just feel bad for you at this point.

This is the part where you tell me I'm wrong because your dad was a scout.

I didn't check the exact dates and as you showed his numbers declined, he went through a slump but was not fully out of it. Do you honestly believe his FG% will be as high? Thats not a good bet, thats my point is he had a career year shooting wise. Look at all good shooters they all have a year where they just shot an unreal percentage. Now a lot of that had to do with open looks because teams left Meer open which I doubt they do this year.

quote:

I never said Rondo was a great jump shooter. I said he improved a lot in one year which he did. In 2007 he shot 32.5 eFG%, as you already pointed out in 2008 he shot 37.5%. That is a big jump for a 22 year old kid. His FG% went up from 42% to 50%. So exactly like I said he improved a lot and would not be surprised to see him shoot nearly 40% this year which would be really good.

Hughes was known as a very good defender, so slightly better is a compliment. He is the best defensive PG in the league, you could argue a couple other but you have to put Rondo up their. Meer is average on his best day but his size makes him a liability ALWAYS. Put in Rondo's age and we have not seen a PG defensively like him in a while. The guy is probably 3 years away from his prime.

Rondo's FG% improved because he started driving more between '07 and '08. That and his obvious ginormous improvements in becoming the zen master of point guards. Nothing else happened in the summer of '07, right? Oh wait, I remember now.

KG and Ray Allen happened. If you honestly think the fact that Rondo was suddenly an afterthought on defense wasn't THE reason his FG% improved, then you might be the dumbest person on the planet.

And why the hell would I care what you think will happen with Rondo's shooting? You think he'll shoot 40% on jumpers? So what? How does that opinion matter at all? This of course ignores the fact too that his shooting percentages on jumpers went DOWN last year from the previous year from and eFG% of .422 to the dismal .375 he posted. So your idea that he'll "continue to improve" when he's currently regressing is on the whole pretty funny in a sad way.

And Larry Hughes was only considered a "good" defender by complete morons. His team(s) would repeatedly get torched by his man because he'd leave them wide open in favor of sagging off his man for weakside steals and playing passing lanes(hey, Rondo does that too!), and got badly exposed as a gambler and terrible man defender when he was all of a sudden on a team that actually cared about defense just enough that he could no longer blame those failures on team philosophy or his teammates like he did in Golden State and Washington.

quote:

quote:

Rondo's FG% improved because he started driving more between '07 and '08. That and his obvious ginormous improvements in becoming the zen master of point guards. Nothing else happened in the summer of '07, right? Oh wait, I remember now.

KG and Ray Allen happened. If you honestly think the fact that Rondo was suddenly an afterthought on defense wasn't THE reason his FG% improved, then you might be the dumbest person on the planet.

And why the hell would I care what you think will happen with Rondo's shooting? You think he'll shoot 40% on jumpers? So what? How does that opinion matter at all? This of course ignores the fact too that his shooting percentages on jumpers went DOWN last year from the previous year from and eFG% of .422 to the dismal .375 he posted. So your idea that he'll "continue to improve" when he's currently regressing is on the whole pretty funny in a sad way.

And Larry Hughes was only considered a "good" defender by complete morons. His team(s) would repeatedly get torched by his man because he'd leave them wide open in favor of sagging off his man for weakside steals and playing passing lanes(hey, Rondo does that too!), and got badly exposed as a gambler and terrible man defender when he was all of a sudden on a team that actually cared about defense just enough that he could no longer blame those failures on team philosophy or his teammates like he did in Golden State and Washington.

Your right Rondo sucks, he might be the worst PG in the NBA. He also has not improved at all since coming to the NBA a s 20 year old kid. He is past his prime and we will see a slow decline in his numbers from now until he retires.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sometimes I think you post the most outlandish thing that pops into your head just to get a reaction.

I said Rondo was better right now than Meer, and that Tony Parker is the best PG in the league, hardly seems outlandish.

Its a toss up between Jameer and Rondo. I can see both sides of that argument. The idea that Parker is a better point guard than Paul is laughably absurd. I'm sure you will out do yourself eventually...but that is a winner.

Its actually not absurd at all, Parker is a winner and makes his whole team better. But if you don't agree thats fine, but saying oh thats laughable makes you sound ignorant. Its not like I'm saying Rafer Alston is, now that would be absurd.

Chris Paul doesn't make his team better? The Hornets would be fortunate to win 35 games without Paul on the roster. Please tell me one thing that Parker does better than Paul. Anything. Your "he's a winner" argument is a load of hogwash. Put Tim Duncan on the Hornets and I would venture a guess that the Hornets win a few championships as well. I stand by my original statement. Your opinion on this matter is laughably absurd.

Yep paul is by far the best PG in the league, no one will have that title until he retires. Who would want to win championships when you could pad your stats on a mediocre team? To think that their is more to the NBA than stats and ESPN tells me so is crazy.

quote:

Your right Rondo sucks, he might be the worst PG in the NBA. He also has not improved at all since coming to the NBA a s 20 year old kid. He is past his prime and we will see a slow decline in his numbers from now until he retires.

Strong work. Rather than make a counter-argument, you act like a petulant, addle-witted child and then hyperbolize my point. Well done.

I think I'd be offended if it wasn't so pathetic.

quote:

quote:

Strong work. Rather than make a counter-argument, you act like a petulant, addle-witted child and then hyperbolize my point. Well done.

I think I'd be offended if it wasn't so pathetic.

Make a counter argument to what? Rondo is a bad man defender? Or anyone who thinks Hughes is good defensively is a moron? Its all just you typing nonsense on your computer. Throw in the pathetic comments and you might be the stupidest person alive and it does not make me want to respond to anything you say.