Sign in to follow this  
Nelson3

Top 10 players in Magic history

My list of players who had the most impact with the Magic.

1. Shaq- He put Orlando on the Map as a basketball team.

2. Dwight Howard- Defensive player of the year, all nba 1st team, slam dunk champ, lead us to the finals, do I need to go on?

3. Tmac- Say what you will about him as a person. But this guy was a highlight reel that kept the team in the media's eyes. Without him in the early 2000's..We might be cheering for the OKC Magic.

4. Penny Hardaway- This guy with Shaq got us to our first finals. Even when Shaq left their was debate that Hardaway was one of the best players in the NBA. Then the injurys piled up..but say what you will Penny and Little Penny had a huge impact on the Magic.

5. Daryl Armstrong- Heart and Hustle...this guy was Heart and Hustle. He basically is the reason Doc Rivers won coach of the year. He gave the magic everything he got..every game he played. He is the definition of FAN FAVORITE.

6. Nick Anderson- The Magic's first Draft Pick..and our first good Draft Pick. He was a scorer, and made one of the greatest Magic plays of all time when he stole the ball from Jordan in the playoffs. He also made one of the worst plays in the Finals when he missed 4 straight free throws. That being said he is now a still with the magic organization working with the community. A great guy, and a great player.

7. Shard Lewis- Yes he is over paid...but he is an all star who is the Glue that got our team to the Finals last year. He has ice in his vains and hits big 3 after big 3. He is a perfect fit next to Dwight, and maybe the most underated player in Magic history.

8. Ho Grant- He was brought in by Shaq to get us to the Finals..and he did just that. When he arrived Magic mania went to an all time high. His trade mark blue goggles were even on the Earfull tower at MGM studios. He teamed as a great rebounder with Shaq, and was deadly with his top of the key shot that was money, when Shaq would pass out of the double team.

9. Bo Outlaw- Another heart and hustle player like Armstrong that gave all he could on the floor. He still is making a difference working with the community of Orlando to this day.

10. Otis Smith- Not only was he a good player on the 1989 Magic team, and scoring the first basket in Magic history. He is also the greatest GM in Magic history. He brought in SVG as coach. He was the main reason we brought in Howard and Nelson, when Hockey puc was our GM. Most of the NBA threw stones at him for taking Howard over Okafor. He played hard ball with Darko and Turk. Tricked Dallas with the Bass/Gortat situation. Stole Alston for a draft pick to make a run for the finals instead of throwing in the towel. Grabbed rising star in C Lee with a 20 plus pick. Took a chance on Peaches and got Barnes for pennys on the dollar. The only mistake he made was taking Fran Vasquez over the likes of Danny Granger....even though most of the board wanted us to draft Sean May or Green that year..

Tmac had the 9nth best season in NBA history or something in 2002-2003.

If these stats dont blow you away, idk what does.

32.1 PPG! 5.5AST. 6.5RB. .386 3pt%

^that is ridiculous. He had his best in every category accept Rebounds.

might be a bit of a cop-out but I have 2 lists to avoid eligibility issues (no particular order)

Top 10 most important players

- Penny Hardaway

- Nick Anderson

- Dennis Scott

- Scott Skiles

- Darrell Armstrong

- Bo Outlaw

- Horace Grant

- Dwight Howard

- Shaquille O'Neal

- Tracy McGrady

Top 10 to ever play for the Magic

- Penny Hardaway

- Dwight Howard

- Shaquille O'Neal

- Tracy McGrady

- Dominique Wilkins

- Grant Hill

- Ben Wallace

- Shawn Kemp

- Patrick Ewing

- Vince Carter

Chauncey Billups is worth a subtle mention but since he didn't even play a single game the whole year he was here (injured) I thought it would be a bit tenuous

thoughts?

OK, I'll play!

I've often pondered this question many-a-time but since the OP was too vague I'll use my own criteria which is:

Assemble the best team possible of any player ever to play for the Magic regardless of when, for how long or how they played for the Magic meaning we could "Magically" assume each player to be in their primes.

So without further ado, here's my All-Time best Possible B-Ball Team comprised entirely of former Magic Players . . .

C - Shaq/Ewing/Dwight

PF - Kemp/Horace/Wallace

SF - Hill/Rashard/Hedo

SG - T-Mac/Dominique/Carter

PG - Penny/Price/Jameer

That's one sick team!!! With the exception of Turk the entire roster is comprised of All-stars and we all know Turk should've been an all-star a couple of years ago. I think that team could definitely win Olympic Gold & unless, I missed someone, I think this is the best All-Time Magic Team possible.

I did have a little trouble deciding on the depth rotation at PF and the entire rotation at SG. Other than those 2 it feels right to me.

Also, much props to TheDarkSide for posting that all-time roster link as it was quite helpful!

quote:
Originally posted by blue-blood:

OK, I'll play!

I've often pondered this question many-a-time but since the OP was too vague I'll use my own criteria which is:

Assemble the best team possible of any player ever to play for the Magic regardless of when, for how long or how they played for the Magic meaning we could "Magically" assume each player to be in their primes.

So without further ado, here's my All-Time best Possible B-Ball Team comprised entirely of former Magic Players . . .

C - Shaq/Ewing/Dwight

PF - Kemp/Horace/Wallace

SF - Hill/Rashard/Hedo

SG - T-Mac/Dominique/Carter

PG - Penny/Price/Jameer

That's one sick team!!! With the exception of Turk the entire roster is comprised of All-stars and we all know Turk should've been an all-star a couple of years ago. I think that team could definitely win Olympic Gold & unless, I missed someone, I think this is the best All-Time Magic Team possible.

I did have a little trouble deciding on the depth rotation at PF and the entire rotation at SG. Other than those 2 it feels right to me.

Also, much props to TheDarkSide for posting that all-time roster link as it was quite helpful!

CRAP!

I just realized that going by my own criteria I'd have to bump Jameer in favor of Billups. Sorry Jameer!

And here is the team of my all time worst players in Magic history:

C- Greg Hammink, Greg Kite, Joe Wolf

PF- Olumide Oyedeji, Ryan Humphrey, David Vaughn

SF- Jonny Taylor, Doug Christie and Jackie Christie

SG- Rease Gains, Miles Simon

PG- Jeryl Sasser, Brook Thompson

quote:
Originally posted by adsm:

might be a bit of a cop-out but I have 2 lists to avoid eligibility issues (no particular order)

Top 10 most important players

- Penny Hardaway

- Nick Anderson

- Dennis Scott

- Scott Skiles

- Darrell Armstrong

- Bo Outlaw

- Horace Grant

- Dwight Howard

- Shaquille O'Neal

- Tracy McGrady

Top 10 to ever play for the Magic

- Penny Hardaway

- Dwight Howard

- Shaquille O'Neal

- Tracy McGrady

- Dominique Wilkins

- Grant Hill

- Ben Wallace

- Shawn Kemp

- Patrick Ewing

- Vince Carter

Chauncey Billups is worth a subtle mention but since he didn't even play a single game the whole year he was here (injured) I thought it would be a bit tenuous

thoughts?

I agree

Any top-10 list that doesn't include Joe Wolf is not legit or complete.

Darth Evil Dead...kindly remove Joe Wolf and Brooks Thompson from your "worst" list. Thompson had 20 points in one quarter for Mookie Blaylock's sake!

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Evil Dead:

My list of players who had the most impact with the Magic.

1. Shaq- He put Orlando on the Map as a basketball team.

2. Dwight Howard- Defensive player of the year, all nba 1st team, slam dunk champ, lead us to the finals, do I need to go on?

3. Tmac- Say what you will about him as a person. But this guy was a highlight reel that kept the team in the media's eyes. Without him in the early 2000's..We might be cheering for the OKC Magic.

4. Penny Hardaway- This guy with Shaq got us to our first finals. Even when Shaq left their was debate that Hardaway was one of the best players in the NBA. Then the injurys piled up..but say what you will Penny and Little Penny had a huge impact on the Magic.

5. Daryl Armstrong- Heart and Hustle...this guy was Heart and Hustle. He basically is the reason Doc Rivers won coach of the year. He gave the magic everything he got..every game he played. He is the definition of FAN FAVORITE.

6. Nick Anderson- The Magic's first Draft Pick..and our first good Draft Pick. He was a scorer, and made one of the greatest Magic plays of all time when he stole the ball from Jordan in the playoffs. He also made one of the worst plays in the Finals when he missed 4 straight free throws. That being said he is now a still with the magic organization working with the community. A great guy, and a great player.

7. Shard Lewis- Yes he is over paid...but he is an all star who is the Glue that got our team to the Finals last year. He has ice in his vains and hits big 3 after big 3. He is a perfect fit next to Dwight, and maybe the most underated player in Magic history.

8. Ho Grant- He was brought in by Shaq to get us to the Finals..and he did just that. When he arrived Magic mania went to an all time high. His trade mark blue goggles were even on the Earfull tower at MGM studios. He teamed as a great rebounder with Shaq, and was deadly with his top of the key shot that was money, when Shaq would pass out of the double team.

9. Bo Outlaw- Another heart and hustle player like Armstrong that gave all he could on the floor. He still is making a difference working with the community of Orlando to this day.

10. Otis Smith- Not only was he a good player on the 1989 Magic team, and scoring the first basket in Magic history. He is also the greatest GM in Magic history. He brought in SVG as coach. He was the main reason we brought in Howard and Nelson, when Hockey puc was our GM. Most of the NBA threw stones at him for taking Howard over Okafor. He played hard ball with Darko and Turk. Tricked Dallas with the Bass/Gortat situation. Stole Alston for a draft pick to make a run for the finals instead of throwing in the towel. Grabbed rising star in C Lee with a 20 plus pick. Took a chance on Peaches and got Barnes for pennys on the dollar. The only mistake he made was taking Fran Vasquez over the likes of Danny Granger....even though most of the board wanted us to draft Sean May or Green that year..

That was pure poetry!

i second that but you have to put in context how or what time they were in their career becuase dominque wilkins, pat ewing, shawn kemp, grant hill just to name a few were washed up when they played for the magic but if you look at their overall career they would all be on the top 10 list for the magic.