Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Otis's timing on our next PG acquisition? With help from Howard Mass(RealGM)

Is there a possibily that we look oversea to find a PG with some experience?

San Antonio signed a PF from Europe for cheap this offseason.

Any thoughts?

jj at pg is not an option... barnes can play Point-Foward so it is not as big of a problem as some may think...

Barnes & VC > Turk & Lee

At helping at point duties

AJ is good for a few starts, just not long term like last year...I say we get a cheap vet and trade if needed at deadline...

Short handed line up

D12

Lewis

Barnes point-forward

Carter Backup Handler

MP

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

1.) Are you comfortable going into next season with just Jameer and A.J. as our only two PG's on the roster?

We kinda did the same last year. It worked until the injury. With that said. No I would like to see another serviceable PG signed and go through training camp and learn the system from the beginning. Just in case.

2.) Do you think Otis will acquire a PG before the season starts?

I think so, but it won't be a big name. It will be another 3rd stringer or maybe some young guy we can try and mold into a serviceable PG. Unless Carlos is signed then He'll start over Jameer. JK .

3.) Would you rather Stan let Vince or possibly even J.J. Redick play 3rd string PG until we find the need again like last year?

No. I rather see a guy here from the beginning.

4.) Do you want Otis to acquire another PG before the season starts because you are not comfortable as is?

These are getting redundant now..lol..uhmm yes I would.

5.) All things considered(player tradeability, being in a position of not being desperate, etc.), when is the best time to try and get another back-up for Jameer...now, or at the trade deadline?

Now.

quote:
Originally posted by NickAnderson:

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

Well at the risk of getting slammed, I think we wait and get someone quality at maybe the deadline, or maybe get someone if we deal Gortat.

I think with a training camp under his belt and some real practice/game time, JJ can fill the bill for limited minutes.

If you give Jameer 30-35 minutes a game, I think JJ could provide 10 minutes at the position and give good contribution. And I think his defense is good enough to keep up with second string talent.

My point is that pickins are slim at this point of the year, but good options may be available at the deadline. And I think that we can get a good pro that can pick things up quickly and keep us going. Rafer did it, why can't anyone else??

I'd rather see JJ there than Jamaal Tinsley or Jason Williams.

Do you think that JJ can start for us of Meer goes down?

No I don't. Im looking at him solely on limited minutes until we find a good fit, not just any fit.

I think JJ can handle limited minutes until we find the right player, and I think we have a better chance at finding a great fit and a good player at the deadline or close to it.

JJ can handle second team PG's. He has enough offense to keep the defense honest. His defense has improved enough to do it IMO. From what I saw last year, I think his distribution skills are good enough, and I think hes smart enough.

I just don't think grasping at marginal or players past their prime is the way to go. I think we have added great pieces that I think will fit and improve our ball club. I believe Jameer will come back healthy and do a great job. And I think a 7 million TPE could net us a great player at the deadline.

But we all know that our additions kinda push JJ back into the depths of our rotation, and I think we can use his talent to our benefit.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well at the risk of getting slammed, I think we wait and get someone quality at maybe the deadline, or maybe get someone if we deal Gortat.

I think with a training camp under his belt and some real practice/game time, JJ can fill the bill for limited minutes.

If you give Jameer 30-35 minutes a game, I think JJ could provide 10 minutes at the position and give good contribution. And I think his defense is good enough to keep up with second string talent.

My point is that pickins are slim at this point of the year, but good options may be available at the deadline. And I think that we can get a good pro that can pick things up quickly and keep us going. Rafer did it, why can't anyone else??

No I don't. Im looking at him solely on limited minutes until we find a good fit, not just any fit.

I think JJ can handle limited minutes until we find the right player, and I think we have a better chance at finding a great fit and a good player at the deadline or close to it.

JJ can handle second team PG's. He has enough offense to keep the defense honest. His defense has improved enough to do it IMO. From what I saw last year, I think his distribution skills are good enough, and I think hes smart enough.

I just don't think grasping at marginal or players past their prime is the way to go. I think we have added great pieces that I think will fit and improve our ball club. I believe Jameer will come back healthy and do a great job. And I think a 7 million TPE could net us a great player at the deadline.

But we all know that our additions kinda push JJ back into the depths of our rotation, and I think we can use his talent to our benefit.

Yeah! JJ can take Lue's minutes!

quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDarwin:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah! JJ can take Lue's minutes!

and richardson's... lol

quote:

quote:
and richardson's... lol

Check out this video Click Here

Lol! You must be LaVar Henry! Right!

yes, that is part of my sig...

quote:
Originally posted by Blackhennie:

quote:

quote:
and richardson's... lol

Check out this video Click Here

Lol! You must be LaVar Henry! Right!

yes, that is part of my sig...

I must say...nice Purple rain! Good work my friend! Now I believe in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde!

Just joking! I Liked it, congratulations for your beautiful work!

Now, here are some questions for discussion purposes...

1.) Are you comfortable going into next season with just Jameer and A.J. as our only two PG's on the roster?

I'm not comfortable at all with going into the season with two PG's on the roster

2.) Do you think Otis will acquire a PG before the season starts?

Yes I think he will

3.) Would you rather Stan let Vince or possibly even J.J. Redick play 3rd string PG until we find the need again like last year?

No I wouldn't, Take care of the problem now so we don't have to worry about it INCASE an injury happens

4.) Do you want Otis to acquire another PG before the season starts because you are not comfortable as is?

That's exactly the reason; If you take a look around the leauge it seems like 90% of the teams have 3 PG's because the know the importance of the point guard position. Unlike most people I don't mind Redick on the team but I'd rather get rid of him and acquire much needed depth at the 1 instead of him being here and only playing about 5-7 mins a game.

5.) All things considered(player tradeability, being in a position of not being desperate, etc.), when is the best time to try and get another back-up for Jameer...now, or at the trade deadline?

I honestly think a trade needs to happen now and I think our team will be set and ready to get to work. It may be me panicking a little but I think PG is the one position besides C that you need to have extra depth because those are usually the 2 spots that other position players can't rotate over to play. For example, Lewis and Anderson can play the 3 and 4 but we wouldn't dare to try to put them at the 5.

These are some trades that I wouldn't mind doing to acquire another PG:

A sign an trade with Memphis with J.J. Redick for Juan Carlos Navarro and cash considerations

J.J. Redick to the Kings for Sergio Rodriquez and cash considerations

Trade the TPE to the Bucks for Luke Ridnour

J.J. Redick to the Lakers for Jordan Farmar and Cash considerations (Pretty much a long shot but it'd be nice though)

With the glut of players we have that can play SG, I think JJ might want to get a feel for the PG position.

He's an undersized 2, but a pretty good-sized 1.