Sign in to follow this  
Knappy

In support of Jameer - please comment if you support him and why?

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

Jameer Nelson can lead this team. He's capable of doing a lot better than he did last season. Thankfully, we'll get a new coach, and Jameer can return to his old form.

Are you gonna make him grow 5 inches? That still wouldn't get him to 6'3!(lol)

We need a point guard that can see the floor better and make good decisions.

Let Jameer come off the bench and play his shooting guard role that he does well.

I'm afraid Otis love affair with Jameer(since he drafted him) is going to hurt us.

I honestly like Carlos better. And more so in an up-tempo game. I'm still seeing our turnovers from last year in my nightmares! Over and over!!

There have been dozens of point guards under 6'0 foot that have had long and very productive careers. Whether Jameer can see the floor properly and make the right decision is a legitimate concern but he shouldn't be written off based solely on his height.

I'd also like to point out that now that Brian Hill's dismissal is official it only makes sense to give Jameer another season and see how he does. His contract won't allow us to get anything of value in a trade so we might as well wait and see. If we can sign a significant free agent without moving his contract I would like to see what Carlos can do as well.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

There have been dozens of point guards under 6'0 foot that have had long and very productive careers. Whether Jameer can see the floor properly and make the right decision is a legitimate concern but he shouldn't be written off based solely on his height.

Come on Emory! You know the deal and you watched games and you have a good basketball mind.

We need more size at the point! It's a fact!!

And talking about uptempo games... Its'nt that the game Carlos played for utah and Puertorican National team ? Thats what Carlos does at his best !

So what should Otis do BJ? There aren't any good point guards available in free agency (I know you still have Billups dreams lol) and there really aren't big point guards that will be available via trade unless we give up significant pieces in return. Big point guards are so hard to find that they are rarely traded.

We aren't going to compete for a championship next year so why not take a wait and see approach? Jameer is obviously capable of playing better. You were big on him at the start of the season as well.

quote:
Originally posted by jonathan:

And talking about uptempo games... Its'nt that the game Carlos played for utah and Puertorican National team ? Thats what Carlos does at his best !

Agree! Plus he is a natural point guard and has been playing that position his entire career.

At least he can control the turnovers. If we lead the league next year in that category I think I'll cry!(lol)

I don't think it's fair to judge Jameer based on one bad season. I know that sounds ridiculous, but let's look at it...

Brian Hill was known (****, I love the past tense) for his controlling attitude. He micromanaged our team to death. Every single play, Jameer had to look over his shoulder at Brian Hill. He had no control over the offense. There's not a point guard in the NBA that can thrive in such a situation.

How do I know Jameer can be better in a new offense? At the end of the '05-06 season, Jameer had that control. Because of all the new players, Ex-Magic Coach Brian Hill (I love it) allowed his players to play freely. Not coincidentally, Jameer played his best basketball. If I remember correctly, Jameer was averaging about 18 PPG, 6 APG, and 3 RPG during our little run. And we were winning.

A little off-topic, but the same can be said for Hedo Turkoglu. He was playing his best basketball in a free offense. Brian Hill ruined a lot of players' seasons this year. I don't think it's fair to hold it against them, especially since we've seen what they're capable of once they're cut loose of Brian's spell.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

So what should Otis do BJ? There aren't any good point guards available in free agency (I know you still have Billups dreams lol) and there really aren't big point guards that will be available via trade unless we give up significant pieces in return. Big point guards are so hard to find that they are rarely traded.

We aren't going to compete for a championship next year so why not take a wait and see approach? Jameer is obviously capable of playing better. You were big on him at the start of the season as well.

His warts were exposed. But you are right though. We don't have any choice unless Otis can turn Chauncy(I know I'm dreaming) or sign someone else which doesn't look likely.

Don't forget, VanderWeide himself said when the season ended, "we have to re-think how we use a 5'10 point guard".

He's a great scorer and can still help this team. They have to use him in the correct role.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Don't forget, VanderWeide himself said when the season ended, "we have to re-think how we use a 5'10 point guard".

He's a great scorer and can still help this team. They have to use him in the correct role.

and that's the point I was trying to make. Jameer might not be the answer at point guard but it really doesn't hurt to adjust his role and find out for sure. It definitely beats giving up on him too early and have him kill us year after year on another team. We've all been there before.

Now with a new coach comming soon I think the best thing to do is leting our point gards fighting the starting spot in the preseason.Thats the main issue to resolve after Darko contract.

I hope all of them receive the same opportunity to prove themselves before anyone been traded . My thoughts are Carlos will win the spot not for his ppg ability but for his play making and asts/to ratio.