Sign in to follow this  
Knappy

In support of Jameer - please comment if you support him and why?

I will reserve my opinion on Jameer until I've had an opportunity to see him in another offensive system. The one we ran this year didn't play to the strengths of either one of our point guards.

Magic Johnson made a very intersting comment last night during the game. He was commenting on Deron Williams and he said it was amazing how quickly Williams had learned the position when it sometimes takes guys 3 to 4 years to really learn the position. Something to think about...

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

I support Jameer Nelson as our point guard of the future. Knappy, I agree with everything you said.

I remember, at the end of the '05-06 season, ESPN did an article about the 2004 draft class. They said Jameer Nelson was the second best player from that draft.

Coming into this season, our expectations for Jameer were extremely high. Then, once the season started, Jameer played like crap. I don't see how a player can get worse from one year to the next without some outside influence. In Jameer's case, the outside influence was B-Hill's lame offense. Steve Nash couldn't survive in it.

Thanks D-Bo - I agree with you. I am glad that someone else sees the problem as BHill's offense and I agree that Steve Nash couldn't play well in that system - Steve Nash wouldn't put up with it and Brian would have already been gone. But it was very difficult for any of our guards to play that style of play.

I think Jameer can step it up - I just am thinking here - doesn't anyone see the problems BHill's offense causes and can't anyone else see that Jameer and others were negatively affected by BHill - Dwight was negatively affected as were many others.

D-Bo we are in the minority, but I'm glad you can see it to. If Jameer doesn't perform under another coach then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I think this kid is going to be very good - and I mean very good - I just hope it shows up in Orlando and that Jameer isn't lighting it up for another team. I don't want to put Jameer in the group with Chauncy, Ben, Magette, etc.

Knappy, I don't think Jameer's performance this year can be put on Hill. The learning curve in the NBA is steepest for PGs - sometimes it just takes a while to get it. Like five years-ish.

I think Jameer's on the perfect team to thrive (with the twin towers inside). One day.

Its Meers first season as a starting point guard, give him a break.

He has the talent. This year he shot too much. Grant Hill is not a good SG to play with. When Stevenson was around last year, he complemented Jameer better with his speed and willingness to work in the offense. I also think the Magic had a better offensive scheme in the 05-06 season that made it easier to operate in.

I think if Dwight develops into more of an offensive presence it will take the pressure off Nelson. Also, I think JJ should start at SG next year. He is pretty agile and he is a credible scorer. If the defensive matchups are that bad against a particular team-then play zone.

quote:

Carlos played worse than he did the end of 2005, Dwight played worse, Darko played worse, JJ didn't play, Ariza didn't get enough playing time - Grant took time from other players - can we say anyone played better than they did the end of 2005 - I don't think we can say that about any player.

Seems like you think everyone played horribly except Nelson.

Im with magic/miami that nelson is a cancer. The self-proclaimed "leader" of the team got more of an opportunity to prove himself than any other player on the team. His heart and confidence dont make up for his lack of size or lack of discipline in running the point. His selfishness and attitude hurt the magic over and over during the season. He has never acknowledged he needs to improve or change his style of play so I do not beleive he could ever adapt into a productive pg and since hes not tall enough to be sg, nelson's career in the nba may not be as long as some of you expect.

I like Jameer. I dont have a short memory. I remember when Steve-O left and jameer took over. I also know that jameer had a off year, but I think he is an asset to the team. He is young and still in his rookie contact. We should not let another player go and be great for another team like Big Ben. I remember when nelson shoot 48% from the field and 42% from three range, and 48% at guard is special. The team shouldnt be dumb and give up so easy on a player with his skill.

Jameer, you where best when you played full court deffense in 05-06 and took shoots when they came to you.

Bhill Jameer needs shooters on the court so he can pass to someone not clogging the lane and so he can get easier baskets because of spacing.

When Grant Hill is gone the floor will open. Grant is not a 3point threat. There will be passing lanes if there is another shooter. One of the reasons I think Nelson will be better is because Hill will be gone and the players will also have more defined roles and mesh better like at the end of 05-06 season.

i dont have a short memory as well. i recall when jj was in with nelson he refused to pass to him time after time. he hardly ever passed to darko. he let his man get by him all the time putting pressure on darko to defend the basket which got him and battie in foul trouble. his poor decisions on offense resulted in numerous turn overs. he tried to be the man at the end of games and the result was poor on most occasions. he needs to come off the bench and play either pg or sg depending on situation. if he plays smart he gets minutes. if not he sets. end of story. jacklj

I didn't see Jameer refusing to pass to JJ - I saw the opposite - I think Jameer wanted to get the ball to JJ knowing the kid can shoot - I watched probably 75 of the 82 regular season games. JJ was almost never on the floor, but I saw Jameer looking for him and passing to him.

I think Jameer was forced to shoot in BHill's offense as was Arroyo and other point guards, because of the weak offensive plan. I think Jameer is very unselfish and we saw it the end of 05.

I have admitted that Jameer didn't have a good year last year, but I think that is true about every Magic player - Carlos was worse, Dwight was worse, Jameer was worse, Ariza was worse, Grant Hill was worse, Darko was ok, but I'd say worse also, but didn't get enough minutes and he was discouraged from taking the outside shot, Battie - worse?, Hedo?, but all the point guards suffered in this system - the most noticeable declines from the end of 05 were Dwight, Jameer and Carlos.

I say the problem was BHill's system - forcing the guards to create with no time on the shot clock and allowing other teams to focus on them easily. That slow style of play and the immediate double and triple team of Dwight left Jameer or Carlos about 7 seconds to create from the top of the key.

Both Jameer and Carlos will play better next year under a different coach whether in Orlando or elsewhere - they won't get better under Napoleon. I admit that I have high expectations for Nelson - higher than Arroyo - I know the Arroyo fans won't like it, but I think Jameer has much more upside. And, I like Dooling - many people don't but I like his defense and I think he could be good - it would be nice to see him in another system not run by Brian Hill. I hope Arroyo plays well - he and Jameer did pretty well in 2005 so it probably isn't fair to judge Carlos either as he had to play under coach Hill again. I'm not into a Carlos debate here - there is a thread on Carlos - I am talking about Jameer here independent of Carlos. And, I asked for those who supported him what they had to say - I think the majority think he is selfish and a bad player from all the comments - I disagree, but I admit he had a bad year - and I blame that mostly on Brian Hill (it is too bad that I have to try and protect from the Carlos onslaught if you say anything negative about Carlos - I say the same about Carlos - that his game suffered under BHill as well and that Carlos had a bad year as well and I blame that mostly on Brian Hill as well).

I'm sory Knappy, Jameer is a good scoring guard, but to play the pg position you have to be a team player and Jammer isn't a team player. Did you remember the game against Minesota, when he called his own number?. Jameer needs to learn from Carlos, when he said to his fans " They have to understand that this is not about Carlos Arroyo, It's about the Magic team. Carlos said that worlds when Brian Hill sent hin to the bench.

Originally posted by Knappy:

JJ was almost never on the floor, but I saw Jameer looking for him and passing to him.

So thats why he kept throwing the ball out of bounds toward the magic bench. j/j

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

I didn't see Jameer refusing to pass to JJ - I saw the opposite - I think Jameer wanted to get the ball to JJ knowing the kid can shoot - I watched probably 75 of the 82 regular season games. JJ was almost never on the floor, but I saw Jameer looking for him and passing to him.

I think Jameer was forced to shoot in BHill's offense as was Arroyo and other point guards, because of the weak offensive plan. I think Jameer is very unselfish and we saw it the end of 05.

I have admitted that Jameer didn't have a good year last year, but I think that is true about every Magic player - Carlos was worse, Dwight was worse, Jameer was worse, Ariza was worse, Grant Hill was worse, Darko was ok, but I'd say worse also, but didn't get enough minutes and he was discouraged from taking the outside shot, Battie - worse?, Hedo?, but all the point guards suffered in this system - the most noticeable declines from the end of 05 were Dwight, Jameer and Carlos.

I say the problem was BHill's system - forcing the guards to create with no time on the shot clock and allowing other teams to focus on them easily. That slow style of play and the immediate double and triple team of Dwight left Jameer or Carlos about 7 seconds to create from the top of the key.

Both Jameer and Carlos will play better next year under a different coach whether in Orlando or elsewhere - they won't get better under Napoleon. I admit that I have high expectations for Nelson - higher than Arroyo - I know the Arroyo fans won't like it, but I think Jameer has much more upside. And, I like Dooling - many people don't but I like his defense and I think he could be good - it would be nice to see him in another system not run by Brian Hill. I hope Arroyo plays well - he and Jameer did pretty well in 2005 so it probably isn't fair to judge Carlos either as he had to play under coach Hill again. I'm not into a Carlos debate here - there is a thread on Carlos - I am talking about Jameer here independent of Carlos. And, I asked for those who supported him what they had to say - I think the majority think he is selfish and a bad player from all the comments - I disagree, but I admit he had a bad year - and I blame that mostly on Brian Hill (it is too bad that I have to try and protect from the Carlos onslaught if you say anything negative about Carlos - I say the same about Carlos - that his game suffered under BHill as well and that Carlos had a bad year as well and I blame that mostly on Brian Hill as well).

I agree with what you said. I also know about those people that are die heart Arroyo fans. Some people almost seem to think we should build on Arroyo, but howard is our core. I do like arroyo as a player. He has good size, good vission, and he is our best dribbler. I think that if we had played more shoots there would be more people to pass to. JJ was not in the games very much so nelson, howard or any one else did not have alot of chances to get him the ball.

To have an assist you need a good pass and a good SHOT. The one thing i like about Nelson is that he can Spread the court and give other players room to score and reb.