Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

Player Grades: Jameer Nelson

Can I try to make a comparison and see if it jives...

So I am in an accounting class and I am just crushing it all semester. Well suddendly half way through I become very ill to the point where I cannot even attend class. Luckily for me all that is left is the Final. The professor tells me to take all the time I need and that he will give me an incomplete if need be. I assure him that I am studying and will be ready for the Final. When I take the Final I bomb it and get a F. I now get a C in the class.

Was that the fair thing to do?

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

If I am a painter, and I have a canvas, and on half of it I paint the most beautiful thing ever, but then I paint the rest like a 3rd grader... If you were to judge the entire canvas, would you say it is great just because that one part is nice, but the rest sucks?

I think the more accurate analogy would be what if the painter dies before he completes the other half of the painting. Do you grade the part that was completed or include the blank canvas?

But then does the painter come back to life a few months later and paint the rest of it like a drunk baby?

z44326926.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If I am a painter, and I have a canvas, and on half of it I paint the most beautiful thing ever, but then I paint the rest like a 3rd grader... If you were to judge the entire canvas, would you say it is great just because that one part is nice, but the rest sucks?

I think the more accurate analogy would be what if the painter dies before he completes the other half of the painting. Do you grade the part that was completed or include the blank canvas?

But then does the painter come back to life a few months later and paint the rest of it like a drunk baby?

z44326926.jpg

I have yet to see you explain how the writer guy or I am wrong...

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

So I am in an accounting class and I am just crushing it all semester. Well suddendly half way through I become very ill to the point where I cannot even attend class. Luckily for me all that is left is the Final. The professor tells me to take all the time I need and that he will give me an incomplete if need be. I assure him that I am studying and will be ready for the Final. When I take the Final I bomb it and get a F. I now get a C in the class.

The fair thing to do is kick your *** because you are taking an accounting class. What a nerd.

quote:

The problem with relating basketball to other real life scenarios is that the comparisons often times don't fit.

The difference between Jameer coming back to play in the finals and your college analogy is that Jameer wasn't expected to perform at the same level that he was previously playing at. When the student said he was ready to test, he was saying, "There is nothing holding me back from aceing this exam." Therefore, yes, you would deserve the C. Jameer, on the other hand, wasn't expecting to have the finals count as 25 percent of his total grade for the season.

quote:

quote:

The fair thing to do is kick your *** because you are taking an accounting class. What a nerd.

HEY! I took an accounting class, i need them for my major, BUSINESS! YOU BRING ME DAH BIDNEZ

I clicked on the blog to review the other players grades for a comparison. I understand that the grades were written by different bloggers but its still interesting for conversation sake.

Hedo Turkoglu - B+

JJ Redick - C-

Marcin Gortat - A/B

Tony Battie - D

Jeremy Richardson - "A solid B+. Keep up the good work J-Rich. We <3 you."

Courtney Lee - A-

Now for the most part, I agree with these grades. Courtney is probably a little high and Marcin is more of a B (and Richardson's was written because technically he's part of the team) but they are fair.

My question is when looking at these players grades and then measuring them against Jameer's impact on the team, is it still fair to give Jameer a C?

Keep in mind that the only reason Jameer is getting marked down 2 grades is a freak collision with Erik Dampier.

quote:

I clicked on the blog to review the other players grades for a comparison. I understand that the grades were written by different bloggers but its still interesting for conversation sake.

Hedo Turkoglu - B+

JJ Redick - C-

Marcin Gortat - A/B

Tony Battie - D

Jeremy Richardson - "A solid B+. Keep up the good work J-Rich. We <3 you."

Courtney Lee - A-

Now for the most part, I agree with these grades. Courtney is probably a little high and Marcin is more of a B (and Richardson's was written because technically he's part of the team) but they are fair.

My question is when looking at these players grades and then measuring them against Jameer's impact on the team, is it still fair to give Jameer a C?

Keep in mind that the only reason Jameer is getting marked down 2 grades is a freak collision with Erik Dampier.

If Jameer doesn't get injured, and plays the second half as well as the first, definite A+.

Now, let me ask you this, say for whatever reason, the first half of Jameer's season mirrored his second half instead? He fails, right? I mean, Hill fails for never really playing here, if Jameer doesn't play for the entire season, it has to be considered a failed season on his part, correct?

quote:

quote:

The problem with relating basketball to other real life scenarios is that the comparisons often times don't fit.

The difference between Jameer coming back to play in the finals and your college analogy is that Jameer wasn't expected to perform at the same level that he was previously playing at. When the student said he was ready to test, he was saying, "There is nothing holding me back from aceing this exam." Therefore, yes, you would deserve the C. Jameer, on the other hand, wasn't expecting to have the finals count as 25 percent of his total grade for the season.

I see, so each player is graded on what is expected of him. So, given that, Jeremy Richardson should have earned an A, right?