Sign in to follow this  
PEC

Magic Need Backup PG, Unless Y'all Prefer AJ!!

quote:
Originally posted by Da_Coach:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by M4G1C:

are you new? people have been saying/talking about this for a while now..also there are no available pg's good enough to get starter minutes if meer goes down again. you could certainly find a 3rd string pg or maybe someone who could compete for the backup pg spot. but there is definitely nobody good enough on the free agent market to start.

Right now we have Nelson to start I am talking about a player who can back him up better then AJ.

So you don't really see anyone out their that could do that better then AJ.

Plus I have noticed several threads talking about players that would just add to overcrowding not to area's where the Magic need help now.

So please point out to me about the thread talking about filling the backup pg slot. ....

That's right there isn't any it's all about wing men instead of a dire need for the Magic and that being PG.

Here's 3

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Discussion 3

There's plenty more, but I think these should get the point across.

LOL i was going to post those exact threads. i laughed when she said there wasn't any and tried to make me look dumb. i also love how she started this thread by saying we needed another pg to backup nelson or take his spot if he gets hurt. then when i mention that there is nobody available that is good enough to get starter minutes if meer goes down again, she backtracks and says she's only talking about a backup...

quote:
Originally posted by Eyriq:

I'm going with a Dark Horse in this race; JJ Redick. His AST% increased from 10.3% to 15.4% in the playoffs, and in the playoffs two years ago he had a 29% AST%. He moves well with the ball and the fact that his defender has to hug him so tight he can get his passes by his man and to the open guy. I've always thought that he was one of our better post entry passers.

jj has the passing ability and court vision to be a point guard but he does not have the ball handling quite down yet. if he works on that i wouldn't mind him being a pg

i think you will see jj in that spot. he can surely hold his on against the 2nd and 3rd pg's in the nba. plus he is a good passer and decision maker. the magic have decided to live or die with nelson so without going for a starter at pg get another big. jacklj

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

are you new? people have been saying/talking about this for a while now..also there are no available pg's good enough to get starter minutes if meer goes down again. you could certainly find a 3rd string pg or maybe someone who could compete for the backup pg spot. but there is definitely nobody good enough on the free agent market to start.

Right now we have Nelson to start I am talking about a player who can back him up better then AJ.

Plus I have noticed several threads talking about players that would just add to overcrowding not to area's where the Magic need help now.

So please point out to me about the thread talking about filling the backup pg slot. ....

That's right there isn't any it's all about wing men instead of a dire need for the Magic and that being PG.

Here's 3

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Discussion 3

LOL i was going to post those exact threads. i laughed when she said there wasn't any and tried to make me look dumb. i also love how she started this thread by saying we needed another pg to backup nelson or take his spot if he gets hurt. then when i mention that there is nobody available that is good enough to get starter minutes if meer goes down again, she backtracks and says she's only talking about a backup...

quote:

I'm going with a Dark Horse in this race; JJ Redick. His AST% increased from 10.3% to 15.4% in the playoffs, and in the playoffs two years ago he had a 29% AST%. He moves well with the ball and the fact that his defender has to hug him so tight he can get his passes by his man and to the open guy. I've always thought that he was one of our better post entry passers.

jj has the passing ability and court vision to be a point guard but he does not have the ball handling quite down yet. if he works on that i wouldn't mind him being a pg

What??? No, JJ can't play defense at the point. You need to be able to stop the ball, and play on ball defense, he dosen't do that well. If he, by some miracle, could do that then he would already be logging many minutes at point, with some kind of triangle offense.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's 3

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Discussion 3

quote:

he does not have the quickness either... You don't learn how to be a pg this late in your carrer... Getting better ball handles is a very big deal at point guard...

It is a dead topic... It is not going to happen...

quote:

+1

quote:

quote:

+1

lke i said before...he does not have the quickness either... You don't learn how to be a pg this late in your carrer... Getting better ball handles is a very big deal at point guard...

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's 3

Discussion 1

Discussion 2

Discussion 3

quote:

JJ has the passing ability and court vision??

last I saw he played he was passing the ball to Dfisher with his near perfect court vision, cost us the game though.

if that's what you mean , hell yes he is darn good at passing the ball to the opponent.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackhennie:

quote:

quote:

+1

lke i said before...he does not have the quickness either... You don't learn how to be a pg this late in your carrer... Getting better ball handles is a very big deal at point guard...

I don't know what your disagreeing with here. The poster is merely pointing out that jj is a solid passer and has good court vision, but lacks the ball handling skills to be a point guard.

I would tend to agree with that assessment. As far as a defender, I think because of his hustle and effort he has improved immensely even in just one year. I disagree about his quickness, he is very quick, look at the job he did on ray allen, that was mainly due to his quickness being able to chase allen around the many screens that were set. On the ball, I would agree he has some work to do. I don't think either of us believes jj will develop good enough handles to play the point, and besides that is not what the coaching staff is focusing on with him. We were manly pointing out jj's good vision and passing ability, which are key point guard intangibles.

how about sebastian telfair?

minnesota drafted 3 point guards, and it's looking like they might get rubio to come over next season. telfair can be traded for straight up with jj.

quote:
Originally posted by D-White:

how about sebastian telfair?

minnesota drafted 3 point guards, and it's looking like they might get rubio to come over next season. telfair can be traded for straight up with jj.

Telfair is small, and not really a pass first PG. If we're going to get another backup PG, it needs to be someone with some size.

quote:

I'd agree with JJ. He definitely is our best post-entry passer and his IQ allows him to make the smartest pass. One of the few players on the team with very good court awareness.

My only thing is him guarding opposing PGs. God forbid, could you imagine him defending Rondo?