Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Ya'll sure we're looking for a wing? Vince says...(link)

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Pargo showed me nothing during Summer League. I would give Robinson, Powell and Hendrix training camp invites and let them fight it out for two roster spots likely left if we be back Foyle and sign Barnes.

I don't see Otis carrying 15 players when paying the tax.

Bingo.

Either way. I just think we need to step off the FA market and get some young guys who will practice with our guys hard, have a genuine willingness to be here, and be decent insurance for the "ifs" in Magicland.

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

quote:

quote:

Pargo showed me nothing during Summer League. I would give Robinson, Powell and Hendrix training camp invites and let them fight it out for two roster spots likely left if we be back Foyle and sign Barnes.

Bingo.

Either way. I just think we need to step off the FA market and get some young guys who will practice with our guys hard, have a genuine willingness to be here, and be decent insurance for the "ifs" in Magicland.

I think a Brevin Knight or a Damon Jones would be upgrades over AJ personally. I say Jones because his best year was with SVG.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bingo.

I think a Brevin Knight or a Damon Jones would be upgrades over AJ personally. I say Jones because his best year was with SVG.
I would add Anthony Carter to that list. But I think out of the 3 Damon Jones is the best due to his 3 point shooting percentage and having played with a big man (Shaq) in Miami. Not to mention he was let go by the Cavs which I would think he would want to stick it to them.

quote:
Originally posted by ReeceGaines:

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

I'll say it again. There's no PG we could sign better than AJ. Barnes needs to be the first priority, then Wafer, then Carney I guess though i'm not a big fan.

CJ Watson and Bobby Jackson would be significant upgrades at PG within our 2 million dollar price range; also possibly Flip Murray [though he might ask for more];

Flip is not a PG. Why do people keep putting him down as a possible PG?

quote:

Hinrich is not coming here, wake up from the dream.

Bobby Jackson hasn't been worth a crap for a few years now.

Id love to see Duhon here and his salary is reasonable, but I doubt New York gives him up.

I wish we had went after Janerro Pargo, he went cheap to Chicago.

Sign Powell and Hendrix.

Sign Jeremy Pargo

Let JJ run the point in limited minutes.

If you have a second unit of

JJ/Pietrus/Powell/Anderson/Gortat, I think you have great firepower and very good size. I think you could run with that lineup for 15 min a game and be pleased.

And we have flexability at the deadline if you want to get someone. Not to mention three players that are hungry to be here and will give all for the team.

My thoughts anyway.

Since when do you play 5 backups at once during a game? One or two players come in at one time then after an extnded period at least one of those starters comes back in. Then other subs come in for the remaining starters. But when has there ever been a time when there are even 4 bench players on the court?

I'm not sure what the rotation is going to be for the Magic, but here is an example with the current players on the roster, this isn't me predicting who will be starting or what the rotations will be, only an example. Starting lineup: Jameer, VC, Lewis, Bass, Dwight. First subs: Pietrus and Anderson for Jameer and Bass. Vince brings up the ball, acts as point. Anderson goes to the 4. Next sub: Jameer and Gortat for VC and Dwight. Rotations continue. There is never a time during a game when 5 subs are on the court at once, barring a blowout.

This team needs a professional set up man who can defend. If he can knock down 3's, it's a bonus.

JJ at PG is hilarity. He improved his D, but he's still a blow by waiting to happen in iso unless he yields a 10 ft cushion. That doesn't translate well to defending PG's. JJ bringing the ball up the floor on the regular would have people begging for Reece Gaines.

quote:
Originally posted by one9:

quote:

Id love to see Duhon here and his salary is reasonable, but I doubt New York gives him up.

Sign Powell and Hendrix.

Sign Jeremy Pargo

JJ/Pietrus/Powell/Anderson/Gortat, I think you have great firepower and very good size. I think you could run with that lineup for 15 min a game and be pleased.

And we have flexability at the deadline if you want to get someone. Not to mention three players that are hungry to be here and will give all for the team.

My thoughts anyway.

Since when do you play 5 backups at once during a game? One or two players come in at one time then after an extnded period at least one of those starters comes back in. Then other subs come in for the remaining starters. But when has there ever been a time when there are even 4 bench players on the court?

I'm not sure what the rotation is going to be for the Magic, but here is an example with the current players on the roster, this isn't me predicting who will be starting or what the rotations will be, only an example. Starting lineup: Jameer, VC, Lewis, Bass, Dwight. First subs: Pietrus and Anderson for Jameer and Bass. Vince brings up the ball, acts as point. Anderson goes to the 4. Next sub: Jameer and Gortat for VC and Dwight. Rotations continue. There is never a time during a game when 5 subs are on the court at once, barring a blowout.

Buddy, i've watched enough NBA and Magic basketball enough to know that on most given nights, different players are substituted on a night to night basis.

We set up starting rotations and second units for the benefit of guessing what a rotation will be, and maybe projecting where a certain player will play. Its fun, you should try it.

I disagree with you somewhat Killing on JJ. The lateral quickness is a bit of a problem, but I honestly don't think he will get killed by anyone. I think defensively, hes improved enough to get the go.

Bottom line, I think he has the skills to get the job done, and i'd rather have him than another cronie like AJ taking money or a roster spot.

Vince is dead on. I do believe a point guard is what we need the most right now. The frontcourt is GOLDEN. For our 2 and 3 spots we have Vince, JJ, Lewis, and Pietrus. What we really need is a #2 point guard. I REALLY liked Rafer Alston. I mean let's give him a lot of credit, he took us to the finals. IMO if we could have held on to Rafer, we would be the deepest, best team in the NBA (and we are anyway!). But if we had him still...god ****! But we don't, and as much as I like AJ...let's face it, we can do better. We are just fortunate enough to know it isn't a dire need, it would just be nice to pick up somebody who fits in as our backup better than AJ. Personally, it isn't a huge concern, but it's the only thing I'm slightly concerned about at this point (no pun intended). Even if AJ remains the #2 guy, we must find a serviceable #3 for insurance. Jameer's a tough guy, but we all know he is small and injuries happen.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by one9:

quote:

Sign Powell and Hendrix.

Sign Jeremy Pargo

My thoughts anyway.

Buddy, i've watched enough NBA and Magic basketball enough to know that on most given nights, different players are substituted on a night to night basis.

We set up starting rotations and second units for the benefit of guessing what a rotation will be, and maybe projecting where a certain player will play. Its fun, you should try it.

I disagree with you somewhat Killing on JJ. The lateral quickness is a bit of a problem, but I honestly don't think he will get killed by anyone. I think defensively, hes improved enough to get the go.

Bottom line, I think he has the skills to get the job done, and i'd rather have him than another cronie like AJ taking money or a roster spot.

When you say things about a lineup of JJ, Pietrus, Powell, Anderson, and Gortat like "I think you could run with that lineup for 15 min a game and be pleased" then clearly you don't know how NBA rotations work.