Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN Magic blogger Zach McCann on Marcin & the future(link)

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Some bullet-points on the move:

quote:
Originally posted by clarkn1237:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

I know everyone seems to be pumped about maybe getting Battier for Gortat, but why not try to get Bosh? I'm no cap expert but just looking at the salaries roughly I think that we could make it work.

We all know that Bosh is going to opt out after this coming season and the odds are pretty good that he's not going back to the Raps, so I think they would be very interested in getting Gortat and teaming him up with Turk and Bargnani.

So Bosh makes around $15 mil, I know that Gortat's salary is only worth about $3 mill in a trade right now cause of it being his first yr in a new contract, or something like that.

So you take that $3 mil, plus the cash we got in the Turk deal that brings us in around $10, so then we throw in maybe Pietrus to make it work. So you give up Gortat, Pietrus and the trade exemption for Bosh, correct me if I'm off with the numbers.

But man what a lineup of Nelson, Carter, Lewis, Bosh and Dwight. And if we pick up Barnes as a FA we really don't lose anything in Pietrus cause there almost the same player.

Any takers on this trade?

You can't combine a TE with a player salary to take on a larger salary. So no, there will be no takers on that trade.

**** it, I knew it was too good to be true, so if that's the case, I'm kind of bummed/ticked that we resigned Gortat, I thought that we could land a TOP-NOTCH SUPERSTAR (and Battier isn't one of them) for Gortat + the TE but if we can't use the 2 together, I don't see us getting anything remotely close to being worth that kind of cash.

Right when I think Otis does something good. So it looks like the Gortat signing will match the Lewis signing in one of the most OVERPAID contracts in the league.

Relax man! After a year we can trade Gortat for the full value of the contract. So we are only overpaying him for one year. If we win the championship this year it will be well worth it, wouldn't you agree?!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

At this point, Gortat is probably a legitimate top 20 center in the NBA. That says more about how bad the center position is right now than it does about him, but it means that the Magic have a top 20 center signed for the league average. Samuel Dalembert makes double that, and Gortat took his lunch money him in a playoff game that was Gortat's 6th start ever.

In terms of basketball talent, this was a GREAT signing.

Come on dude, seriously? I like Gortat but saying he's one of the 20 best centers in the league isn't saying much. I would much rather have had a proven vet like Mcdysse or Sheed on this team rather than Gortat for the money.

Heck I wouldn't have minded us losing Gortat if it would have gotten us ZaZa, to me there about the same, cept ZaZa might have an edge in toughness.

Bottom line is I think Gortat might be fools gold, and I'm either going to be dead wrong (which I hope I am) or I'm dead right, and if that's the case we're stuck with Ike Austin version 2.0

Did Ike Austin ever block a shot? I mean ever? Gortat block LBJ twice in about a three minute period. McDyess and Wallace were out of our range and quite frankly I think Bass is a better fit for us anyways. Look at it this way. We have a coveted center signed at a reasonable contract and an $8M trade exception to play with for the next year. How can you be upset about this?

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

McCann isn't a "beat writer" for ESPN. He is a blogger who ESPN links too... Big difference.

Important point here. If only to completely recognize and understand the source.

This is not coming from an ESPN beat writer. This is coming from a fan blog that is part of ESPN's truehoop network.

Though Zach's blog is pretty good, it's still important to know the source and not misrepresent it as something it's not.

I like Battier,I don't think Bosh would be a good fit because he needs the ball. That is now how you build a team,we would have to many guys who want to score and won't do the dirty work. IMO the top 3 would be

1.Battier- Great guy,team guy,good locker room guy and will battle and does not care about shots.

2. Prince- Great guy again,proven winner,does the dirty work,great defender and rebounder.

3.Butler- The best player out of these 3, never really won which worries me, can defend and score well,good passer and rebounder(only is my last choice because the other 2 guys I think play without the ball better)

I think Prince and Battier will be their to be had,Detoit and Houston def need front court help,and prince has already been rumored to be on the block. Butler if the wizards struggle could be available(if they play well though I doubt it) Haywood missed last year and if he is not the same player Gortat could fit nicely.

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

WHOS OUR BACKUP CENTER if we trade Gortat for Battier...

JJ. He can play all 5 positions.

Seriously though, I don't think Otis pulls the trigger on that deal unless he has a 2nd deal lined up to use the TE (or maybe JJ) to obtain a backup center. Or, there could be a veteran left sitting out in the cold after this season, or who have their contract rescinded, that might be available for the vet minimum.

The beauty of the move is that it has bought Otis a lot of time to be very flexible.

My biggest question about the TE is, at what point does ownership give Otis permission to add that much more salary onto the payroll, particularly considering the possible luxury tax considerations?

To be honest, If Otis pulls in Barnes and/or Wafer, that would make JJ expandable.

Which means, by deadline, or December 15th, JJ/Anderson/Gortat could be packaged for Bosh..

Which makes our team like this.

Nelson/AJ/?

Carter/Wafer

Lewis/Pietrus

Bosh/Bass

Dwight/?

Use the TPE for another BIG.. Brad Miller? Eddy Curry? Ronnie Turiaf? Then BAM..Championship.