moldy_hobo

Sentinel now confirming Magic matching to retain Gortat

quote:
Originally posted by ChevyBallinHot:

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:
Originally posted by ChevyBallinHot:

The way I see it is that Gortat really doesn't care where he plays. By signing an offer it's guaranteed money from Orlando that Otis wasn't willing to put on the table in the first place. Now that Gortat did find a suitor in Dallas he pushed Otis over the limit and able to get the money he was looking for no matter where he ends up.

basically setting market price, maybe they thought he was going to go for more.

True...don't mind though, we are short on that bench as of right now.

Otis will probably analyze the team in the first month and either 1. keep Gortat 2. pull a killer Otis move or 3. Feb trade deadline.

yeah great move, i remember him distincly saying that he wanted turk to go out there and see what he gets offered to him, i guess he used the same idea with marcin.

dec. 15th is the earliest we can trade, should be an interesting december if we drop a couple of easy games, or if marcin blows up like a stud.

Now that gives us 10 players...We need 3 more for the NBA minimum. Who will it be???

My choices are:

Barnes for the remaining MLE we did not spend.

Ratliff to back up Howard and Gortat.

3rd guy can be anyone. I prefer a veteran. Von wafer for the minimum if he can play point guard in a pinch. Iverson for the minimum to play behind Jameer. I think our only concern for the 13th player means he needs to be a player that can back up Jameer as good or better than AJ.

quote:
Originally posted by MavsFan:

quote:
Originally posted by God hates Magic fans: He wont be here 5 years, therefore, wrong.....

Once more, I posted reaction from Mavs fans, stated fact (Which, whether or not they will keep Gortat is irrelevant to what is currently fact...he's on the hook for 60 million) and I don't say anything else.

In response to that, I'm labeled a "Bitter" person and that you can't use logic when talking to Mavs fans.

Not sure I understand the heart behind the response.

The Magic will only hang on to Gortat until he can be traded. He won't count against the luxury tax because he won't be in Orlando. He will be traded for an asset. His salary can be traded at around $3 million - half the new salary - that is it.

So, the comments that Gortat will cost the Magic is not true unless the Magic kept him for the full term of the contract and they remained above the luxury tax by $6 million.

He won't be here - he will most likely be traded to Houston in December for something in return. So the Magic will have to pay part year salary on the $5.8 million and no luxury tax on Gortat - the player they pick up in return will keep the Magic over the tax, but it won't be a $5.8 m player for Gortat.

The Magic may make some other move, but Gortat only counts around $3 m for the trade.

Others explain it better in a different thread on here regarding Gortat.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

Sounds like people are just a tad nervous about Gortat and did Otis or didn't he match.

Okay, seriously. What?

That's a worm hole you don't wanna enter.

Sybil was probably easier to have a discussion with.

how often is pec going to be wrong?

"in this economy gortat would be lucky to get $900,000"

And he is still overpaid for a backup center.

Plus check to see how many teams dumped salary. That's right a lot more then those who added.

So yes its the economy stupid.