Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Houston in need should Otis match? Barnes info(Denton & Povtak)

quote:
Originally posted by DontPushMe:

dont forget about the BYC thing, its not going to be easy to trade him for 6 months

All that means is that is incoming salary to his new team is higher than his outgoing salary to the Magic. DOM already pointed out how easy it would be to trade Gortat for Battier in another thread.

Like I said before though, picking up Battier is a dream I have, it makes sense for us, and if Houston gets desperate, they might consider it, who knows, but it's just a dream at this point.

The real point here is that matching and retaining Marcin gives us more ability later to tweak this team as needed.

quote:

dont forget about the BYC thing, its not going to be easy to trade him for 6 months

A) He's BYC until the end of the season, not 6 months.

B) I've already demonstrated, twice, how a trade for Gortat could be done to get around his BYC contract stipulations. The only issue is that it would have to be a 1 for 1 trade.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

A) He's BYC until the end of the season, not 6 months.

B) I've already demonstrated, twice, how a trade for Gortat could be done to get around his BYC contract stipulations. The only issue is that it would have to be a 1 for 1 trade.

I was trying to beat you to the punch to save you from having to repeat yourself yet again.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Adding Battier would create a large logjam at the 2/3, especially if we go through with the Barnes signing. Truth be told, I don't know what other pieces we need. Back-up C, back-up PG?

Kyle Lowey...?...Tempting isn't it...and of course another piece depending on salaries...

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

man, I'd match and KEEP Gortat. Our front line would be the best for the next 3-4 yrs.

Obviously, I don't care about the money because I'm not paying anything.

Agree totally - this is pretty much what I said in a previous thread word for word lol

IMO, the best move would be for Houston to re-sign Wafer to a 5yr/11 mil contract, and trade Wafer plus a first to Orlando for Gortat.

Wafer

1st

Cash

For

Gortat

protected 2nd rounder.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

The Orlando Magic have an agreement in place with blossoming power forward Brandon Bass on a four-year, $18 million free-agent contract, a deal that increases the likelihood that they won't match Marcin Gortat's $33.9 million offer sheet from the Dallas Mavericks.

"It just doesn't look like they are going to pay all of that money to a backup player who plays 10 minutes a night," Gortat said from the Orlando Pro Summer League, where he's been a spectator all week. "(The Bass signing) explains a lot to me and it looks like I've got to get ready for a trip to Dallas."

If Orlando does decide to match Gortat's offer sheet, it would likely be doing so it order to use the promising center as a trade asset. Houston, which was the first team to call Gortat on July 1, would likely be interested in Gortat wil Yao Ming expected to miss all of next season.

I know what I would do, lol...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13262

The Magic won't sign him - he is too expensive - it would cost the Magic about $11.6 million to sign him with the luxury tax - plus they had a nod and wink with Dallas - we won't go after Bass and you don't go after Gortat unfortunately.

We are being bit by the Lewis signing here - we could have matched Gortat if we paid the proper price for Lewis or have retained Hedo, but I think that was a hefty price for Hedo and I have been wanting to see this team get tougher with a real power forward. Nice to see Bass come aboard.

I think it you go after Gortat you do it to trade him. You could package JJ and the exception may allow you to keep the cost reasonable - I know the exception could be used if necessary. You could trade Gortat and JJ for a good player, but I wouldn't mind seeing another year of JJ - that is if he can make some shots.

Orlando helped them land Marion, we don't owe Dallas any favors. They had no need for Bass anymore after landing Marion.

Personally, I would love to see Otis match and retain Gortat to either keep and play or use as a trade asset.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Are you sure that was the nod and wink, or was it Dallas backing off of Bass and Orlando, in turn, agreeing to help with the Toronto trade?

Orlando helped them land Marion, we don't owe Dallas any favors. They had no need for Bass anymore after landing Marion.

Exactly.

Man that would be dirty if we sign and traded Gortat to the Rockets for Battier when all this time the Mavericks thinking they about to get him. They would be pissed.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Are you sure that was the nod and wink, or was it Dallas backing off of Bass and Orlando, in turn, agreeing to help with the Toronto trade?

I think that is what happened - so Gortat could still be in play, but he is too expensive to backup Dwight, but he does have real trade value. Of course I would like us to match and trade him, but I don't think the Magic will do it, but they have surprised me recently with some excellent moves.

DeVos wants to win a championship and he has a lot of money. He can try and shed some payroll next year.