Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Houston in need should Otis match? Barnes info(Denton & Povtak)

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

quote:
Originally posted by DontPushMe:

dont forget about the BYC thing, its not going to be easy to trade him for 6 months

Actually it may be a lot easier to trade him since teams wanting him would only have to send back a player making around 2.5 million. Which is a player on a rookie deal.

That's not how BYC trades work. What we can take back and what the other team would have to send are different things. I've already explained this well over a dozen times. I'm ****ing sick of it. If you can't spend the time to read the ****ing Salary Cap FAQ, stop talking. Christ.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

quote:

dont forget about the BYC thing, its not going to be easy to trade him for 6 months

Actually it may be a lot easier to trade him since teams wanting him would only have to send back a player making around 2.5 million. Which is a player on a rookie deal.

That's not how BYC trades work. What we can take back and what the other team would have to send are different things. I've already explained this well over a dozen times. I'm ****ing sick of it. If you can't spend the time to read the ****ing Salary Cap FAQ, stop talking. Christ.

Don't hold back DoM, tell us how you really feel? You could end up with an ulcer suppressing your feelings like that.

I will give the short version for you. We have the big TE from Hedo. We can use it to "get around" the BYC.

In the future, read the FAQ. BYC basically means the receiving team needs to send out payroll to match the new salary, but sending team can only take back 50% of the new salary. (simplified version)

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

quote:
Originally posted by magicfanejc42:

IMO, the best move would be for Houston to re-sign Wafer to a 5yr/11 mil contract, and trade Wafer plus a first to Orlando for Gortat.

Wafer

1st

Cash

For

Gortat

protected 2nd rounder.

Go back to college, rookie. You don't trade a talented big for a less talented small. Ever!

While I agree with your big for a small comment, a 2010 first rounder from houston could very well be a lottery pick...maybe even a good one since they wont have tmac, yao, or artest.

quote:

Don't hold back DoM, tell us how you really feel? You could end up with an ulcer suppressing your feelings like that.

I will give the short version for you. We have the big TE from Hedo. We can use it to "get around" the BYC.

In the future, read the FAQ. BYC basically means the receiving team needs to send out payroll to match the new salary, but sending team can only take back 50% of the new salary. (simplified version)

No. BYC means that the players outgoing salary will be half their current salary or their previous year's salary(whichever is higher) for the team trading the player, but the player will still have incoming salary to the team receiving said player will still be equal to their new salary. If we trade Gortat to Houston, his salary for the purposes of the trade is only 2.9m for us, but it's still 5.8m for Houston, and as such Houston would have to send back out salary for the 5.8m number.

I'm fully aware of how we could circumvent the BYC. I've written multiple threads about it. In fact, for the sake of simplicity, go ahead and assume that in any discussion of anything related to basketball, the Magic, the salary CAP, or anything else that might get discussed on this board, I know more than you.

Obviously, I won't know more than you on EVERY topic, but I'm betting I'll know more than you on most topics, so the "DOM knows more than me" choice will be the more statistically likely, particularly when you're acting smug towards me while explaining your keen knowledge of how to circumvent BYC rules using a TE, apparently blissfully unaware of the fact that the earlier post that explained precisely how to go about doing that where you first learned the idea was a post I wrote.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

No. BYC means that the players outgoing salary will be half their current salary or their previous year's salary(whichever is higher) for the team trading the player, but the player will still have incoming salary to the team receiving said player will still be equal to their new salary. If we trade Gortat to Houston, his salary for the purposes of the trade is only 2.9m for us, but it's still 5.8m for Houston, and as such Houston would have to send back out salary for the 5.8m number.

I'm fully aware of how we could circumvent the BYC. I've written multiple threads about it. In fact, for the sake of simplicity, go ahead and assume that in any discussion of anything related to basketball, the Magic, the salary CAP, or anything else that might get discussed on this board, I know more than you.

Obviously, I won't know more than you on EVERY topic, but I'm betting I'll know more than you on most topics, so the "DOM knows more than me" choice will be the more statistically likely, particularly when you're acting smug towards me while explaining your keen knowledge of how to circumvent BYC rules using a TE, apparently blissfully unaware of the fact that the earlier post that explained precisely how to go about doing that where you first learned the idea was a post I wrote.

Sorry, DoM, but you misunderstood my post. I wasn't trying to say it was my idea, it just seemed you were getting overly upset having to explain it multiple times. I read your original explanation in a former post and it was very comprehensive and clear. I was simply trying to save you having to go through all of it again, and simplifying if for the other poster. That's part of the reason I seconded your "read the FAQ".

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

All that means is that is incoming salary to his new team is higher than his outgoing salary to the Magic. DOM already pointed out how easy it would be to trade Gortat for Battier in another thread.

Like I said before though, picking up Battier is a dream I have, it makes sense for us, and if Houston gets desperate, they might consider it, who knows, but it's just a dream at this point.

The real point here is that matching and retaining Marcin gives us more ability later to tweak this team as needed.

can you send me a link to that id like to read how that would work

I don't remember exactly where DoM originally posted it. There's been so much action on these boards lately it's hard to keep track. Forgive me please DoM if this is simplifying it too much, but the basic idea is you do two trades - Battier to Orlando for portion of Hedo TE, which now gives Houston a TE equal to Battier's salary. Gortat to Houston for part of that TE back. On the second trade, Houston gives up TE equal to Gortat's new salary, but Orlando only gets half of it as a new TE.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

All that means is that is incoming salary to his new team is higher than his outgoing salary to the Magic. DOM already pointed out how easy it would be to trade Gortat for Battier in another thread.

Like I said before though, picking up Battier is a dream I have, it makes sense for us, and if Houston gets desperate, they might consider it, who knows, but it's just a dream at this point.

The real point here is that matching and retaining Marcin gives us more ability later to tweak this team as needed.

can you send me a link to that id like to read how that would work

It was in the "Denton is gone/watercooler thread".

Here:

quote:

A TE like the one the Magic now have makes any 1 player for 1 player trade possible, provided the player the Magic receives makes less than or equal to the amount of the TE, thanks to the capacity within the CBA for what I like to call "FUN WITH TECHNICALITIES ON TIMING RULES".

For instance, if the Magic wanted to trade Gortat to Houston for Battier, it would go something like this.

12:00pm

Orlando obtains Battier from Houston with the TE. A TE equal to Battier's salary(roughly 6.8m I think) is created for Houston.

12:01pm

Houston obtains Marcin Gortat from Orlando with their TE. A 2.9m TE is created for Orlando.

The trades, while they'd be agreed upon as one trade in principal, would actually act as 2 consecutive, independent trades.

quote:

In fact, for the sake of simplicity, go ahead and assume that in any discussion of anything related to basketball, the Magic, the salary CAP, or anything else that might get discussed on this board, I know more than you.

On the other hand, for this part of your post, smug doesn't even begin to cover it. I will take it as just hacked off, and let it pass this time. Generally, I enjoy your posts and agree with most of your viewpoints. I was going to tell you to relax and get a sense of humor, but your assume "DoM knows more than me" attitude obviously shows you do; you don't know me, and we all know what happens when you ASSUme.

DOM, respectfully, I wasnt intending to use the candimann and our collection of useless high first rounders as an example of unprotected picks. I was using them to illustrate that >90% of first round picks fail to ever make an all star game and quite a few are out of the league after the rookie deal. Without a doubt more teams reach for a untalented or underachieving big man because none exist and end up with candi, bogut or joe smith....the list goes on and on for big men.

Gortat is a semi proven commodity. He is young, athletic and showed up in the playoffs in a big way when given the time to play. Other than dwight I cant think of another center who has shown promise more than him drafted in the last 4 years (Oden included...LOL). Please spare me bynum too...he is a head case.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

Man, Gortat seems like he just is dying to leave.

Anyone receiving the treatment he gets from SVG would be dying to leave too, add to that a higher paycheck

I'm an advocate for overpaying Gortat if we have to because he's a great asset BUT, considering what Bass can gives us for the money, I'd take Bass over him