Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

around the watercooler...

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

I'm not one to shoot the messenger, especially when I have a high opinion of said messenger.

A couple of concerns...

If we match any offer (and I hope we do), we will match the mid-level for Gortat. Wouldn't it be more prudent to spend that money on someone that plays more than 10mpg?

Secondly, isn't it likely we could get more in return, trading Gortat signed at the MLE, then splitting the MLE among lesser tier free agents? Then we would be free to spend the whole MLE on someone like Bass/Sheed/McDyess, considering the same amount of money would be spent.

IMO where Sheed goes, the championship goes with him. Especially if he goes to San Antonio or Boston. Sheed/Duncan/Jefferson/Ginobili/Parker? YIKES. Sheed and Perkins defending Dwight with a healthy KG, Pierce, Allen and a vastly improved Rondo? In our conference? Let's just pray he retires if we are out of the running.

im in the same boat. I dont doubt what you've heard as junkie has been known to be the first guy to post things on here.

A lot of what you've stated just doesnt make sense from a basketball standpoint. We cant talk about a lack of money in one hand then overpay gortat for the heck of it in another.

It would be like spending the full MLE on a backup point guard or Shooting guard. we have a need for a backup, but those players we bring in wont play more than 18 minutes a game at best. so why pay that much for them.

quote:

I'm not one to shoot the messenger, especially when I have a high opinion of said messenger.

A couple of concerns...

If we match any offer (and I hope we do), we will match the mid-level for Gortat. Wouldn't it be more prudent to spend that money on someone that plays more than 10mpg?

Secondly, isn't it likely we could get more in return, trading Gortat signed at the MLE, then splitting the MLE among lesser tier free agents? Then we would be free to spend the whole MLE on someone like Bass/Sheed/McDyess, considering the same amount of money would be spent.

IMO where Sheed goes, the championship goes with him. Especially if he goes to San Antonio or Boston. Sheed/Duncan/Jefferson/Ginobili/Parker? YIKES. Sheed and Perkins defending Dwight with a healthy KG, Pierce, Allen and a vastly improved Rondo? In our conference? Let's just pray he retires if we are out of the running.

Gortat is the single best player on the market we could sign with the MLE. And he won't even take up the MLE slot if we re-sign him...if we choose to pay huge tax dollars. Your opinion of Sheed is hugely out of wack. He's a shell of his former self, which, by the way was hugely inconsistent even in his prime. Dude's played 1100 NBA games.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

I'm just as frusted as everyone and don't understand what's going through Otis' mind.

We'll see how we look when the dust settles.

You have NO CLUE what's going through Otis' mind, so lose the frustration. Did you know what was going through it the day before we got Vince? Calm down and let the chips fall.

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

quote:

A couple of concerns...

Gortat is the single best player on the market we could sign with the MLE. And he won't even take up the MLE slot if we re-sign him...if we choose to pay huge tax dollars. Your opinion of Sheed is hugely out of wack. He's a shell of his former self, which, by the way was hugely inconsistent even in his prime. Dude's played 1100 NBA games.

You're right about gortat. but it doesn't make sense that we wont use 5.7 million to sign a starting SF (if we go small), SG (if jj is the starter), or PF (if we decide to go big). If we're strapped for cash now why would we sign a backup to a huge contract?

I would be a little disappointed if our starting lineup is Dwight, Rashard, Vince, JJ, and, Jameer. That's still a pretty strong starting unit but I thought the loss of Turk signaled the return of Lewis to the small forward spot and a legit 4 like Bass stepping in. Vince is an upgrade at the 3 obviously but starting JJ would be a downgrade imo.

We'll see what happens, still a lot of time left in free agency maybe we'll get a few bargains.

Looking at this from a financial sense, matching the league average/mid-level for Gortat, and splitting our MLE between two or three players (most likely 2), we are saying we are willing to spend 10.6 million on 3 players, 5.3 million of it on one.

We all love Gortat, but shouldn't that 5.3 million be spent on someone that will play 25-30 mpg? I'm willing to bet Gortat will fetch us a better two player package, than the MLE will. Atleast one of the two players we get is likely to be a rotation player, the other will suffice as depth.

Then we would be free to spend the full MLE on a player who shores up a big weakness (ie PF and lets us move Lewis to SF and put JJ back on the end of the bench).

That gives us 10 rotation players, an 11th bench guy, and then we can fill out our remaining roster with Summer Leaguers.

Stan is exstatic with what Carter will bring to the table...said it is a big upgrade...John even asked Vince the question I asked the board the other day...

Hey Vince...do you think you can handle Stan's ranting and raving???

Vince answer...Lawrence Frank cusses like a sailor...I'm sure I can,lol...

quote:
Originally posted by CaliMagicFan:

quote:

A couple of concerns...

Actually, you have no idea what my opinion of Sheed is. He is a role player at this point, and a very good one. With the possibility of Yao's career ending, Sheed is one of two players in the entire league that can defend Dwight one on one, the other being Perkins. They gave us all we wanted and more without their best player and 3rd best big man.

San Antonio and Boston were scary enough and legitimate threats without Sheed. Upgrading their defense while having a player that will spread the floor and take Dwight away from the basket on defense makes either one the team to beat IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Escobar06:

Keeping Gortat would be huge because with the lack of resources Orlando has to use if they lose Gortat our backup C position is going to be atrocious. Dwight will almost have to change his play in order to reduce the number of fouls he would pick up.

Getting Vince was big IF they add some pieces, as is this is looking like a disaster. Nobody can tell me that our team has improved so far. Yes it's early in FA but if these rumors are true and they are splitting the MLE we can forget about vast improvement.

Jameer

JJ

Vince

Lewis

Howard

is NOT an improved team. Everything Vince does better than Hedo is wiped away by what Lee does better than JJ, aka....it's a wash. Add in that our bench is very thin at the moment, and it's clear a step back has been taken. Otis better have a plan, because he just took a finals roster and blew it up.

I disagree. I think we do have an improved team at this moment. Replacing Turk with Vince was for the best and drastically improves our starting lineup. Battie was garbage, alston was a short-term fix with an attitude problem, and Lee, a promising rookie was replaced by another promising rookie that plays a position of greater need. WE DID NOT BLOW A FINALS TEAM UP. Our core of Howard, Lewis and Jameer is still here and we just added a top 10 talent to it.

Lets wait and see how the rest of the roster shakes out. I have a feeling that we will be happy with our prospects of winning it all next year.

Gortat has too much upside to let him go... we can groom him for big minutes at the 4 and slide Shard to the 3 and VC to the 2. When Warlock is ready we can run:

Meer/AJ

VC/JJ/MP

Shard/MP

Gortat/Anderson

D12/Gortat/Battie(if bought out)/Foyle

Throw in whatever FAs and summer league pick ups and we contend again!

Let's not forget in addition to adding VC and Anderson we also have our starting all star PG Back!

Imagine if you would have traded Turk, CLee, Battie, and Alston for a healthy Meer, VC, and Anderson and that's where we are right now!

ALL WE NEED IS A FEW ROLE PLAYERS AND WE ARE OFF TO THE RACES AGAIN!