Sign in to follow this  
Darrell_Armstrong

Hedo: Sign-and-Trade Options

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

sign & trade for camby and thornton.

thats too much money

edit: im wrong about that. i thought Camby made a lot more, but seriously we would only get 48 games out of him anyway.

Alrighty, long time lurker first post here. I had to finally post on this one.

I dont think any of you realize how a sign and trade works. If you "sign" Hedo to a $10 million per year contract and trade him for what would be equal value ($10 million). That would count against your cap. So that would be...one: impossible and two: completely pointless. If you were just going to pony up $10 million for so and so, than why wouldnt you just keep Hedo? That is how it works.

The best you could hope for are cheap players in return or a pick. Something that we can actually fit into our cap situation. Take Sacramento. They're about $7 million under the cap. We on the other hand are far over the cap, in luxury tax territory w/ VC's addition. If they want Hedo, they dont have enough. So, they would need to shed about $3 million in salary. So the best we could hope for is one or two players in return who's salary equals about $3 million. The only way you work out a dollar for dollar trade is if both teams were over the cap. Because, they would cancel eachother out and neither team's cap situation would take a hit. A good example is the Bulls/Knicks deal a few years ago involving Eddie Curry. This is not the case w/ Hedo. If we trade for two guys that equal his $10 million, which isnt currently effecting our cap, that is an additional $10 million on top of where it is at now. So again, if that was the case...they would just re-sign Hedo. But they're not going to add $10 million to their cap as it is.

Our team is dominant, in a city with good weather, and a state with no income taxes. I'd rather let Hedo walk to see what we can do in free agency

quote:
Originally posted by New Guy:

I dont think any of you realize how a sign and trade works. If you "sign" Hedo to a $10 million per year contract and trade him for what would be equal value ($10 million). That would count against your cap. So that would be...one: impossible and two: completely pointless. If you were just going to pony up $10 million for so and so, than why wouldnt you just keep Hedo? That is how it works.

The best you could hope for are cheap players in return or a pick. Something that we can actually fit into our cap situation. Take Sacramento. They're about $7 million under the cap. We on the other hand are far over the cap, in luxury tax territory w/ VC's addition. If they want Hedo, they dont have enough. So, they would need to shed about $3 million in salary. So the best we could hope for is one or two players in return who's salary equals about $3 million. The only way you work out a dollar for dollar trade is if both teams were over the cap. Because, they would cancel eachother out and neither team's cap situation would take a hit. A good example is the Bulls/Knicks deal a few years ago involving Eddie Curry. This is not the case w/ Hedo. If we trade for two guys that equal his $10 million, which isnt currently effecting our cap, that is an additional $10 million on top of where it is at now. So again, if that was the case...they would just re-sign Hedo. But they're not going to add $10 million to their cap as it is.

Your first point is wrong, which you eventually pointed out later in your post; it is possible to S&T Hedo for equal value. The Magic have the Larry Bird Exception in play so they can sign Hedo and then trade him for equal value, no matter their cap situation.

Point two is also wrong; the Magic can S&T Hedo for a player that fits the personnel better. With the addition of Vince Carter Hedo's skill set is now redundant. Yet we still will have a void at the 3, so you look at the resources we have available to fill it; the MLE or the Hedo S&T worth ~10 mil. You can get the better player with the Hedo S&T option than with the MLE on the open market just by nature of the extra ~5 mil that Hedo's contract will garner over the MLE. Do the Magic use this option?

Doubtful, but not for the two reasons you pointed out.

quote:
Originally posted by Eyriq:

quote:

Your first point is wrong, which you eventually pointed out later in your post; it is possible to S&T Hedo for equal value. The Magic have the Larry Bird Exception in play so they can sign Hedo and then trade him for equal value, no matter their cap situation.

Point two is also wrong; the Magic can S&T Hedo for a player that fits the personnel better. With the addition of Vince Carter Hedo's skill set is now redundant. Yet we still will have a void at the 3, so you look at the resources we have available to fill it; the MLE or the Hedo S&T worth ~10 mil. You can get the better player with the Hedo S&T option than with the MLE on the open market just by nature of the extra ~5 mil that Hedo's contract will garner over the MLE. Do the Magic use this option?

It's also worth noting that the Magic can S&T Hedo to any team that wants him and still receive less salary back than what he gets paid. Specifically, they can take back as little as 80% of what he gets or so if they trade him to another team that's well over the CAP, or even less if they trade him to a team with CAP space.

In the instance of a S&T where Hedo gets 10m, it would actually be in Orlando's interest to not take back full salary match because a) it saves CAP space if they don't want to use it, B) it likely forces the other team to include non-player compensation as part of the trade, and c) it creates a TE, which the Magic can use to sign whomever the hell they want.

Honestly, if someone told me we could S&T Hedo to someone at 9.5m/yr in exchange for a massively protected future 1st, I'd make that trade in a half a heartbeat, because a 9.5m TE is likely enough to put Jarrett Jack, Anthony Parker AND Brandon Bass on our team, at which point we'd have turned Rafer Alston, Tony Battie, Courtney Lee and Hedo Turkoglu into Vince Carter, Ryan Anderson, Brandon Bass, Anthony Parker, Jarrett Jack and a future 1st, and we'd have a rotation of:

Nelson/Jack/Johnson/(Parker)

Carter/Parker/Pietrus

Lewis/Pietrus/(Parker)

Bass/Anderson/Lewis

Dwight/?

And that's having not even used our MLE yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Eyriq:

quote:

It's also worth noting that the Magic can S&T Hedo to any team that wants him and still receive less salary back than what he gets paid. Specifically, they can take back as little as 80% of what he gets or so if they trade him to another team that's well over the CAP, or even less if they trade him to a team with CAP space.

In the instance of a S&T where Hedo gets 10m, it would actually be in Orlando's interest to not take back full salary match because a) it saves CAP space if they don't want to use it, B) it likely forces the other team to include non-player compensation as part of the trade, and c) it creates a TE, which the Magic can use to sign whomever the hell they want.

Honestly, if someone told me we could S&T Hedo to someone at 9.5m/yr in exchange for a massively protected future 1st, I'd make that trade in a half a heartbeat, because a 9.5m TE is likely enough to put Jarrett Jack, Anthony Parker AND Brandon Bass on our team, at which point we'd have turned Rafer Alston, Tony Battie, Courtney Lee and Hedo Turkoglu into Vince Carter, Ryan Anderson, Brandon Bass, Anthony Parker, Jarrett Jack and a future 1st, and we'd have a rotation of:

Nelson/Jack/Johnson/(Parker)

Carter/Parker/Pietrus

Lewis/Pietrus/(Parker)

Bass/Anderson/Lewis

Dwight/?

And that's having not even used our MLE yet.

DoM speaks wisdom.

Come on, we arent the knicks, theres no way we could afford bosh along with rashard, dwight, nelson, and carter. Would be nice though because thats a freaking dynasty.

I think the best move would be to trade hedo to Portland for Outlaw/Webster and Blake/Mills/Bayless (Preference being Outlaw and Bayless, but i highly doubt they give up Bayless) then sign Bass with as much of the MLE as it takes and resign Gortat. After that just find cheap vets chasing rings or young guys to fill it out.

Nelson/Bayless/AJ

Carter/Pietrus/Redick

Lewis/Outlaw

Bass/Anderson

Howard/Gortat

That would be unbelieveable. Or we could keep Lewis at PF and start Outlaw or Pietrus at SF.

Wed probably be fine without resigning Gortat here either, just have Bass backup howard.

I like dom's idea too.