Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Stan Van Gundy wants to add elements of the Lakers' triangle offense to the Magic

quote:
After getting away for a few days to "decompress," Orlando Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy will return to drawing up X's and O's. And some of his new plays will involve incorporating things the Los Angeles Lakers used to beat the Magic in the NBA Finals.

"I want to watch and try to steal ideas. I always have different projects in the summer. I watch how certain people do things. I like what L.A. does with the triangle offense, watch what San Antonio does," he said. "One of the things we want to do this summer is work on our post-up offense, how to cut and move and what we can do when the ball gets thrown into Dwight [Howard]."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...2009,0,6698618.story

If you can't beat them, join them.

quote:
After getting away for a few days to "decompress," Orlando Magic Coach Stan Van Gundy will return to drawing up X's and O's. And some of his new plays will involve incorporating things the Los Angeles Lakers used to beat the Magic in the NBA Finals.

"I want to watch and try to steal ideas. I always have different projects in the summer. I watch how certain people do things. I like what L.A. does with the triangle offense, watch what San Antonio does," he said. "One of the things we want to do this summer is work on our post-up offense, how to cut and move and what we can do when the ball gets thrown into Dwight [Howard]."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...2009,0,6698618.story

If you can't beat them, join them.

One thing Stan has done, that I think has been effective for this team, is to add to his base approach a little at a time. instead of dumping a lot of things on them from the get go, he seems to work it a little at a time, making sure they grasp core concepts first, then adding wrinkles along the way.

Every year this team gets better, and I am excited to see where they go next season.

What are the key elements of a triangle offense? I know a low post guy with passing skills, and Phil's teams have had the benefit of Kobe and Jordan, but what are the other elements that are needed?

quote:
Q. This is a hypothetical, obviously. But how would you guys look without Hedo Turkoglu, who has said he will opt out of his contract?

SVG: That's hard to say. That means we would do something else [either in free agency or in a possible trade] and what that would be, we don't know. I don't know where that would leave us. We would be different. How you do it, I really just don't know. Turk's a unique guy who would be hard to replace. It's obvious what he has meant to us.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

What are the key elements of a triangle offense? I know a low post guy with passing skills, and Phil's teams have had the benefit of Kobe and Jordan, but what are the other elements that are needed?

The whole point of the triangle is to have an available 3 man game between a guard, a forward and a center on one side of the court(creating a triangle), with an available 2 man game on the other.

Ideally, you need a center who is at least a decent passer, a 4 who can play the weakside high-post effectively, and a 1, 2 and 3 who are all capable of throwing good passes, particularly entry passes into the post, and who can all move without the ball.

we have to do something different when dwight gets the ball. everyone just stands around waiting for him to pass back out. cutting/moving around and screening to get guys open would help.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

its somewhat complicated but heres how its set up

http://www.nba.com/step_up/lakers_diagram.html

I like that we slowly add things to our playbook. It makes us harder to stop in the future.

nvm that one sucks, look at this one http://www.metacafe.com/watch/...ngle_offense_basics/

Just another reason for us to resign Hedo. If we are going to have our own version of the triangle offense you need a passer/3 point shooter at the top of the triangle. Then need the man in the post at the bottom of the triangle. The you need the slasher coming from the top of the key in the triangle.

But you need it on both sides of the court. So on one side you have Hedo the other Rashard. Your slasher is Jameer, Lee or MP. I like the idea, but the man at the top of the triangle at the 3 point line has to be a great passer and preferably tall. It is what Pippen did for Jordan when he would post up.

The ball goes in tot he post. The post player reads the defense. But the other two players have to act in sync at the same time reading the defense. It is a reaction offense.

For example, when the ball is kicked out of the post to the 3 point shooter, the shooter has three options. Sometimes called the triple threat. He can shoot it, pass it back in the post of hit the cutter.

The triangle is not that complicated. It is much like the pick and roll where you train your team to react to the defense to get your shot. You are just starting from the triangle and each player knows their roll. It takes chemistry between the players and we have that, so it should not be that hard to incorporate.