Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Prediction Time! How much $$$ and years are you giving Turk to re-sign?(link)

From Steve Kyler in his morning report:

quote:

Word is Babby is sticking to his initial line - $10 million per season to retain Turkoglu. The Magic were thinking $7 million according to sources. Magic GM Otis Smith has been given permission by ownership to delve into the Luxury Tax to keep Turkoglu, but sources near the situation say it's more than paying tax, it's about setting a market value Orlando cannot maintain.

The interesting side note about Luxury Tax in the coming year is that fewer and fewer teams will be paying into it in 2009-2010 and not anywhere close to the dollars those teams used to pay. The Tax was always viewed as the double penalty

From Steve Kyler in his morning report:

quote:

Word is Babby is sticking to his initial line - $10 million per season to retain Turkoglu. The Magic were thinking $7 million according to sources. Magic GM Otis Smith has been given permission by ownership to delve into the Luxury Tax to keep Turkoglu, but sources near the situation say it's more than paying tax, it's about setting a market value Orlando cannot maintain.

The interesting side note about Luxury Tax in the coming year is that fewer and fewer teams will be paying into it in 2009-2010 and not anywhere close to the dollars those teams used to pay. The Tax was always viewed as the double penalty

I thought he was already making 7 million a year?

Anywho, I'm not a salary cap expert by any means, but I'd say 8 million tops right? Or is that too much?

A part of me hates the Turk that shows up during the regular season. Then, I am superstitious and feel that if we let him go it will come back to bite us.

I don't know.

I think we pay what we have to in order to keep Hedo around. Without going bananas with the contract.

Yes, he is notoriously inconsistent. But he was a vital, core player on a finals team. We ought to hang on to Turk.

If you give Turk a slight raise over next year's salary to say 8 million it would enable him to earn around 10 million a season over 5 years or around 9.3 million for four years. Using 10.5% increases the salaries would be:

Year 1: 8,000,000

Year 2: 8,840,000

Year 3: 9,768,200

Year 4: 10,793,861

Year 5: 11,927,216

Average over 5 years: 9,865,855

Average over 4 years: 9,350,515

Now if I were the Magic and assuming you give him what he wants (I wouldn't) the best option would be to make his contract decline so that as Shard and Dwight's high salaries keep increasing his is coming down and you can try and kind of balance things out.

His agent told to the turkish media that they want to have a deal similar to corey maggette had last summer, 5 year 50 mil total...

Also, I read that portland is the one chasing him, they really want to have him for their sf spot...

quote:
Originally posted by TURBEY:

His agent told to the turkish media that they want to have a deal similar to corey maggette had last summer, 5 year 50 mil total...

Also, I read that portland is the one chasing him, they really want to have him for their sf spot...

TURBEY, what would you give him?...Is that a fair deal to you...?

Also, do you think the Blazers would throw that kind of money around to acquire him...?

Much appreciation...

based on market value, and seeing the list of current players making between 8.5 and 12 million a season, I would say that Hedo is probably worth $10 million a season, if not more in a stronger off season...ideally I would like to ink him to a 5/40 or 5/45 type of deal at the most, but I don't think 5/50 is all that bad, especially considering there will probably be a provision or two and I would assume the last year isnt fully guaranteed.

really for me it all hinges upon what else will we do if we do re-sign Hedo, and what is realistically on the table should we lose him?

if BVW was being truthful, and the Magic really are gunning to re-sign Hedo and bring in a real PF that can contribute, to me, it's a win/win...

I'm far more concerned with years than $'s. 3 years is the max. $'s are less relevant. You're over the cap, you're over the cap. That's really a matter of ownerships threshold.

For every 30 year old signed to a long term deal who produces up to the level of his contract, there are a handful that instantly become "bad contracts".

I don't see how you can afford to do that with Shard's deal already on the books, but there's no way in hell you want Hedo's deal extended beyond Shards.