Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

VanderWeide, "we have to re-think how we use a 5"10 point guard in our system"

Jameer is still the point guard of our future. He has a lot of room for improvement, but we've all seen what he's capable of. I think his bad play this season was the result of Brian Hill's offense.

6th man? Jameer? No way. How about as 9th man? That sounds a whole lot more like it.

Like bring him in when the opponent brings in a slow 5'5" PG and let them go at it.

I see JJ as the 6th man; I see Carlos as the 6th man; I see Grant Hill as the 6th man; I see anyone who fills a specific need for a specific game as the 6th man.

JJ would be that guy more often, if he is not starting. I don't want him to be crowded out by playing Jameer ahead of him. It would be bad enough to crowd Vince Carter ahead of him, or Grant Hill.

I would really like to try Deiner or Dooling as the starting PG with the other coming in to relieve him; JJ or KeBo starting and the other as sub; Hedo and Ariza in the same situation; Of course, Dwight and Darko starting with Battie and Augustine getting floor time. Either Dwight or Darko should be on the floor at all times; both as much as possible.

Grant could work out at the 2 and 3, and get enough time to matter. By all-star break, this team would be ready to break out, with the right coach.

If we could manage to get a decent, physically capable PG, so much the better, but I don't see it happening.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Redick and Jameer starting together in the backcourt is a disaster waiting to happen.

For the other team, baby!!

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

or NY uses(Spontaneous) Nate Robinson.

I'll be expecting my royalty check.

i agree with a few posters saying that Jameer would flourish with a faster pace offense.

Here's the problem with Jameer:

When the offense is slowed down, Jameer has to rely on his jump shot, which, let me be the first to say, is bad.

If we ran, he could use his speed, and passing ability, which he has, because we have seen him use, and he could go by guys on the fast break.

I can almost guarentee you that Jameer would average more assists, less to's, and less shots if we ran on a fast pace.

Bottom Line:

GIVE JAMEER A SECOND CHANCE NEXT YEAR WITH FAST PACE!!!!

Quote frome J-money92

i agree with a few posters saying that Jameer would flourish with a faster pace offense.

Here's the problem with Jameer:

When the offense is slowed down, Jameer has to rely on his jump shot, which, let me be the first to say, is bad.

If we ran, he could use his speed, and passing ability, which he has, because we have seen him use, and he could go by guys on the fast break.

I can almost guarentee you that Jameer would average more assists, less to's, and less shots if we ran on a fast pace.

Bottom Line:

GIVE JAMEER A SECOND CHANCE NEXT YEAR WITH FAST PACE!!!!

I belive that Jameer is not a pg, he is a good scoring guard, he doesn't have the passing ability ( more of the time he has to hop before pass the ball), some time look careless with the ball and that could be to danger when you try to play run and gun offensive. May be I'm wrong, that why , I going to give him a second chance. I hope he works in his game this summer.

You can't force Jameer to be what he's not. He's not a point guard. He's a natural shooting guard. Now, the problem is that he's not tall enough in the NBA to be a shooting guard, and not good enough in defense to guard either a PG or a shooting guard. Therefore, he's a liability. You can't build this team around Dwight and at the same time keep Jameer. I believe we've got to find a real PG, a passer, with a dynamic sense to find open players

One more thought on this subject since every thread here is on Brian Hill and frankly I'm getting tired of talking about the guy. There's no new news to report on the subject anyway.

Obviously VanderWeide is not sure what to do with Nelson either, hence the statement he made before leaving to go back to Michigan.

Now, it is possible that VanderWeide and Otis don't agree either. I've seen some quotes from Otis in that MC article that says he thinks Jameer can flourish in an up-tempo offense. Otis specifically used an example of the Sacremento Kings and compared Jameer as a carbon copy of Mike Bibby. Here's my problem with that I'm going strictly from the memory cells in my brain so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike Bibby has been playing the point guard position his entire life. It's the same position his Dad played in college and the NBA. I would be willing to bet that when Jameer played in high school he was a shooting guard. I know in college at St. Joe's he played point guard his last 2 years and mostly shooting guard his first two years, taking turns with Delonte West as to who ran the point.

Mike Bibby has been a point guard his entire life. Coaches have tried to convert Jameer to the point with marginal success. He is a natural shooting or scoring guard. Mike Bibby is a good passer. I don't see Jameer as a great passer. He almost always looks right at the person whom he is going to pass the ball too. Any good point guard knows at times you have to be deceptive with your passes. I just don't see that in Jameer.

Some of my friends and I saw Jameer play in the NCAA tournament in Tampa a couple of seasons age when they played Auburn(I think). St. Joe pulled the upset. Mostly because of Jameer and mostly cause he was hitting jumpers and getting to the basket. Not because of his playmaking skills.

Is Jameer a good to great scorer? Yes. Is he the next Mike Bibby? Let's just say I have some serious doubts.

There is just so many more skills required into being a good point guard than shooting.

Let's also don't forget Bibby is at least 6-foot tall. I honestly don't think Jameer is 5'10. Maybe 5'9? I have not seen him all year long get a defensive push from the point guard postion cause he is not capable. I actually like Arroyo better in an up-tempo offense and from a defensive standpoint also.

I refer back to VanderWeide's quote in my initial post. "We have to re-think how we use a 5'10 point guard in our system". In other words, VanderWeide is not as sure as Otis is that Jameer is the point guard of the future. Just like me.

If the Magic decide to go up-tempo with Jameer running the show, I have my doubts. Off the bench as a spark? I'm much more comfortable with that.

Junkie, I have withheld my position on Jameer for most of this season, as with many others, I really expected more from him this season over the last. I still find myself wanting him to be successful with the Magic, but a lot of his warts where exposed during the course of the season, that where not all the fault of Brian Hill......O.K. knock me over with a feather, but Jameer's offensive decisions this year, caused me to lose faith in his complete package, because of his inabilities to overcome his disadvantages, especially on defense. I think you may be right, I am leaning towards him not being able to over come his defensive problems, and his inability to keep up with the Billups, T.J. Ford types in the league!