Sign in to follow this  
Bianchi

Bianchi blog: Is Game 7 victory over Celtics biggest win in Magic history?

I have to agree with Live or Die Magic on this one. For me, "The Steal" game was just as important as the other two mentioned.

Top 5 in history, but I still put the Pacers game and "The Steal" over it.

Very, very big win though.

It's the biggest win since that era. Maybe we can stop living in the past now? I mean those mid 90's teams didn't actually accomplish anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

No, Game 7 against the Pacers in the '95 ECF was bigger. This is #2 though.

Yup.

1. Game 7 v. Pacers, '95 ECF

2. Game 7 v. Celtics, '09 ECSF

3. Game 1 v. Bulls "Nick stole the ball," '95 ECSF

4. everything else

Jec, that team still hung up an Eastern Conference Championship banner. This one hasn't done that yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

I was at that game against the Pacers.

The answer to this question is a resounding no.

I was at that game too and I have to somewhat agree with you and disagree with you.

Let me elaborate. Because we were there we both know the atmosphere was unbelievable, we also know that you could barely hear the person next to you if they said something. However here is where I separate this team from 2009 to the team from 1995.

In 1995 I never got the sense that from player #1 Shaq to player #12 Brooks Thompson that there was the same sense of desire and hard work. That team in 1995 was supposed to beat the Pacers. This team in 2009 was supposed to be beat by the Celtics. The only thing the Pacers had going for them was they had what we did not "deep playoff experience". I remember hearing Reggie Miller saying in an interview before the game that it was the Pacers time, how they had been there before, ran the gaunlet and they were the team prepared to go to the finals. But he was the only one saying that because most everyone was picking the Magic to go to the finals regardless of how young we were.

This years team no one has given an ounce of credit to. It is like those 59 wins are more of a mirage than an actual accomplishment. That 1995 team did not have that us against the world mentality, but the 2009 team does. It is why I think when you look at all the accomplishments of this infant franchise this one ranks at the top. The one in 1995 was wan where no one really could properly appreciate because we had two dream teamers and it was very obvious that Shaq was the next great center that only comes around every 20+ years.

Dwight, even with his newly minted defensive player of the year award does not get the same respect Shaq got as a rookie. Dwight is constantly criticized for his lack of offensive game even though he averages over 20ppg and is still the age of most 1st year rookies after their senior year. Few want to remember Shaq for what he truly was as a Magician. He was constantly trying to see what he could get away with. He was constantly trying to figure out how many games he could not play hard or how many practices he could not have to compete in. He was not and never has been a determined player. To Shaq life is just a party where he is the honored guest. To Dwight, life is something he never take for granted and works each day to make himself better in every aspect on and off the court.

So when you ask the question is this game bigger? I say YES and here are my bullet point reasons.

#1 This is the rebirth of something we almost had, but more importantly this is the first step of a long career journey for OUR OWN Dwight Howard. In 1995 that was Shaq's first step toward the Lakers.

#2 This win is something the Magic can always build on and point to since the major players are locked up long term. In 1995 we were just 2 years away from having to start all over.

#3 This is a win against what amount to the New York Yankees of our sport. Sports are long in tradition and to beat a team like the C's with their history and tradition should mean more than a win over the Pacers in a year that most experts point to as a down year for the NBA since Jordan had taken 2 years off.

#4 This year if we go all the way should mean more because it means we went up against this generation's Michael Jordan. In 1995 we did not have to deal with the loaded Bulls team of 1996. It was a much easier journey. The Rockets never get the proper respect they deserve for their championships because most experts say they would have never won them had Jordan stayed in the league. (A valid point I would say given his 3-peat that is sandwiched on each in on the Rockets repeat.)

#5 This is a better team, with a deeper bench, a more balance scoring attack and definitely mouch stronger defensively.

#6 Finally I would conclude when you are a team that is expected to lose and you prevail it is much better than a team that should have never allowed the Pacers to force a game 7.

EDIT:

I really needed to add I think it is much tougher silencing a crowd and having them leave early in a game 7 than it is to play on your own home floor and get a big win against the Pacers.

Ok so I want an answer to this, if we beat the Cavs but in say 5 or 6 games not 7 which win would be bigger?

1995 Pacers

2009 Celtics

2009 Cavs

Obviously if we ever win it all that will be the biggest win in franchise history. But the teams of the 1990's only won basketball games, they did not really win anything else. They were the second loser once and got swept to boot. That sweep tells you a lot about the heart of that team. Does anyone think this Magic team would get swept now? It is why I think last nights game is the biggest because it shows us fans how determined this team is to win it all. The Shaq team of 1995 had no clue what they needed to do to win it all and when the going got tough, they got swept and cracked under pressure.

Every team has to have that defining moment you can point to and say that is where we took the next step. Last night was that defining moment. It came after facing a game six elimination and a game 7 at Boston. I just cannot imagine the 1995 team coming through that. They would have folded. That team in 1995 was good, but did not have the heart of a champion. They had a team of exceptional talent and looking back that talent should have won the championship. But their lack of determination and the fact they were led by a coach that could not coach and a player in Shaq that was not as determined as Dwight, well there you have another reason I feel last night was the biggest win in franchise history.

you just can't point to a game because it advanced the team farther and say it was a bigger game. You have to look at the totality of how that win effected the team as it went forward. That win in 1995 in reality did nothing but build up a lot and I mean a lot of false hopes because Shaq was gone 2 years later. This victory will be looked at in history a much different way. It will be seen as the moment Orlando took over their dominant position in the NBA for a long long time. How you compare the two with those set of facts is beyond comprehension to me.

I would say that this game has to be in the discussion. Beating the defending champs on their home court in a game 7 is one of the top 5 moments in this franchise's history. It may become even more important depending on how the next series unfolds.