Sign in to follow this  
PNuT1423

chad ford chat 1p.m(2/24)- somehow turned to "stern should cut these teams" talk 2/25

i didn't see any q and a's about the magic, but of course someone in cavs land got something answered, it's a good answer though:

Dan, Cleveland: Can you explain what's happening with the salary cap. I keep reading bits and pieces, but would really like the big picture?

Chad Ford: (1:14 PM ET ) Most likely the salary cap will go down slightly this summer. This year it was set at $58.6 million. The NBA cap experts I talk with are projecting it at $58 million. That's down from the $62 million they were projecting six months ago. The reason is the economy. Teams are taking a beating in attendance right now. That also means that the luxury tax number will go down as well. The expert I speak with has it falling from $71 million to $70 million. Again, teams were planning for an increase, not a decrease. Two more interesting things. First, in the summer of 2010, the expert I'm consulting with says it's possible the cap could fall again, this time to as low as $55 million. The league is worried about season ticket and luxury box renewals in the bad economy. That could leave teams with $9 million less than they thought they'd have in the summer of 2010. The other interesting note is that the league sent out a memo of hypothetical scenarios the day before the trade deadline. Those scenarios had the cap coming in at $57.3 million ... that scared a lot of owners to death. They were hypothetical, mind you, but I think it had a major chilling effect on the last day of the trade deadline.

i think that signals the end for turk. if we resign him at 8mill then were still over the lux tax by 2, if 10 then 4. doubt the owners wanna do that, and thats assuming fran doesnt come and we dont aquire another 1st w/ the trade exception

if turk doesnt opt out, we're still right at the lux cap. personally if i were turk, id finish my contract in hopes that the economy shows signs of improving and trying to grab leftover cash from bigger FA's misses in 2010

I read that in the CBA there is a clause that if the salary cap goes down that the following season it is supposed to go up no matter what.. i cant remember where i read that but i will look and see where i saw that.

Smack or Junkie either of you guys read this also?

This is the problem with over expansion. You can't sell out arenas in 15 cities when games happen so frequently. Just isn't happening, not enough demand for the product.

Edit: I said 15 because on any given night, that is how many cities have a game going on. Just to clarify.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

This is the problem with over expansion. You can't sell out arenas in 15 cities when games happen so frequently. Just isn't happening, not enough demand for the product.

Edit: I said 15 because on any given night, that is how many cities have a game going on. Just to clarify.

That makes little sense. So because Boston is playing at the same time, fans in Utah are less likely to go to a game? Am I misreading the point? If anything, the real problem lies in the long schedule, not the large number of teams.

quote:
Originally posted by ufballer86:

i think that signals the end for turk. if we resign him at 8mill then were still over the lux tax by 2, if 10 then 4. doubt the owners wanna do that, and thats assuming fran doesnt come and we dont aquire another 1st w/ the trade exception

if turk doesnt opt out, we're still right at the lux cap. personally if i were turk, id finish my contract in hopes that the economy shows signs of improving and trying to grab leftover cash from bigger FA's misses in 2010

This doesn't really affect our signing of Hedo at all IMO. His pay decreases across the board, not just in Orlando's offer.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:

That makes little sense. So because Boston is playing at the same time, fans in Utah are less likely to go to a game? Am I misreading the point? If anything, the real problem lies in the long schedule, not the large number of teams.

Yeah, I was afraid I didn't word that properly. What I meant was there isn't enough demand around the country in cities like Milwaukee and Memphis to see the watered down talent. The more teams there are, the more talent is spread around. And the NBA, moreso than any other sport, is based on talent and star power. What average citizen is going to go to a Bobcats - Sacramento game on a Tuesday night? Now, when Lebron comes to town, that person has some incentive. Not sure if that makes sense the way I worded it.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:

Yeah, I was afraid I didn't word that properly. What I meant was there isn't enough demand around the country in cities like Milwaukee and Memphis to see the watered down talent. The more teams there are, the more talent is spread around. And the NBA, moreso than any other sport, is based on talent and star power. What average citizen is going to go to a Bobcats - Sacramento game on a Tuesday night? Now, when Lebron comes to town, that person has some incentive. Not sure if that makes sense the way I worded it.

Essentially what I think Ty is saying is that the league markets individual players rather than marketing whole teams. The more teams there are in the league, the less likely it is that any one team will have one of the players that the NBA is actively marketing. Ergo, dilution of the talent pool diminishes returns on the marketing. To established fans, that means nothing. I went to a Wizards/Spurs game over the weekend solely because it was a game and I could get cheap tickets, but it's a problem trying to get non-fans interested in games that don't carry marketable individual players.