Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Alston Making Immediate Impact

Rashard and Hedo proved how much they need a play making pg to be successful after Jameer went down. Both of them were just downright awful up until we made this trade. With Alston here, this offense looks very sharp again.

Everyone is talking about the immediate effect of Alston. I'm more excited for next year when we have Jameer and Alston working together. I think all it can do is make both players better with their different styles. Just like Superman12 said Nelson hasn't yet completely developed his court vision and I'm hoping Skip is the veteran guy to help him out.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Rashard and Hedo proved how much they need a play making pg to be successful after Jameer went down. Both of them were just downright awful up until we made this trade. With Alston here, this offense looks very sharp again.

Bingo.....If Skip maintains this pace, I don't see a battle for the starting position next season as much as I see a plain and simple battle for Minutes!

As for this season, if we make it beyond the second round with Skip at the helm, then I think the discussion will turn to Jameer taking this team to the championship, only a ring will settle that arguement!

Another great article Mr. Savage. Your posts and interaction on the message board is really appreciated.

On Rafer, I cant say enough about this guy. I have always been a fan of his and watching him run this athletic team of jump shooters has been awesome. Its only going to get better once he starts calling the plays and gets on the same page as Dwight when passing toward the rim. Once he becomes fully acclimated with the offense I think we will see atleast 2-3 alley's a game. The man has such a good feel for the game.

On a side note his signing only more proves how much we over paid for Shard. The man CAN NOT make his own shots. Without a ball handler to find him open he really struggled. Thankfully we have just enough cap to fill in some role players but o how I wish he was making 8-10 mill a year.

quote:
Originally posted by InsideoutO:

Another great article Mr. Savage. Your posts and interaction on the message board is really appreciated.

On Rafer, I cant say enough about this guy. I have always been a fan of his and watching him run this athletic team of jump shooters has been awesome. Its only going to get better once he starts calling the plays and gets on the same page as Dwight when passing toward the rim. Once he becomes fully acclimated with the offense I think we will see atleast 2-3 alley's a game. The man has such a good feel for the game.

On a side note his signing only more proves how much we over paid for Shard. The man CAN NOT make his own shots. Without a ball handler to find him open he really struggled. Thankfully we have just enough cap to fill in some role players but o how I wish he was making 8-10 mill a year.

I disagree. The reason we overpaid Rashard isn't his lack of shot creating, it's simply a lack of youth and defense. He is ideal for this team because between Dwight, Jameer, and Hedo, we don't have much room for another player who needs to handle the ball to be effective. When Hedo scores 20, he is the primary ball handler. When Dwight scores 20, he is getting the post fed well. When Jameer scores 20, he is handling the ball. When Rashard scores 20, well, I don't even notice it because he lets the game come to him. He is the ideal player to put next to a superstar which is why we had to fight with Cleveland to sign him.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

He (Lewis) is the ideal player to put next to a superstar which is why we had to fight with Cleveland to sign him.

+1

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:
Originally posted by InsideoutO:

I disagree. The reason we overpaid Rashard isn't his lack of shot creating, it's simply a lack of youth and defense. He is ideal for this team because between Dwight, Jameer, and Hedo, we don't have much room for another player who needs to handle the ball to be effective. When Hedo scores 20, he is the primary ball handler. When Dwight scores 20, he is getting the post fed well. When Jameer scores 20, he is handling the ball. When Rashard scores 20, well, I don't even notice it because he lets the game come to him. He is the ideal player to put next to a superstar which is why we had to fight with Cleveland to sign him.

He still isnt a Max deal player. What he brings to the table could be had any many other forms for much less. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate him as a player but I expect more from a max deal guy. His age is fine for his contract. When its up he will be around Rafers age which from start to finish of contact covers yoru physical prime. His problems on D can be attributed to him playing out of position(even tho his lateral movement and speed make it hard for him to cover the 3). At the end of the day you dont sign a guy who only does 1-2 things well. You sign a guy to a Max deal who does most all things or atleast show great potential to do all things right.

Sorry for the thread derail. Back to topic!

Edit: I'm pretty sure Houston was our main competition for Shard.