Sign in to follow this  
EnFuego

The Magic are better with Skip than Jameer

This should read, "The Magic have a different look to throw at teams with Skip on the floor." We were still capable of kicking peoples butts with Jameer on the floor we just did it a little differently.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

This should read, "The Magic have a different look to throw at teams with Skip on the floor." We were still capable of kicking peoples butts with Jameer on the floor we just did it a little differently.

I would be salivating at the prospect of having Jameer come back this season and play the role of scorer off the bench behind Alston. Otis says he didn't want Jameer coming back this season because it would push surgery and rehab to the beginning of next season and effect two seasons. I would rather have Jameer for the playoffs this year and his availability for the very beginning of next season isn't nearly as important with Alston on board. But, why do it today when there's tomorrow?

If we could find a way to ship Battie & AJ's expirings for a legit PF in the offseason, this roster would be Kitno certified.

Im glad we have both....

As far as, who is the better Point leader is for this team...

You have to give the nod to the "ALL STAR" Nelson.

Alston is good, quick, always looking.. but Nelson has proved to be better...

Nelson is simply a killer

Jameer leads the team to one of their best starts ever... gets injured... Alston plays two games with the Magic (against Charlotte and Miami) and already someone wants to say the team is better off with Alston?

Get real.

Alston is going to be great for this team, but check back on overall impact after the second half of the season is over, not after his second game.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I would be salivating at the prospect of having Jameer come back this season and play the role of scorer off the bench behind Alston. Otis says he didn't want Jameer coming back this season because it would push surgery and rehab to the beginning of next season and effect two seasons. I would rather have Jameer for the playoffs this year and his availability for the very beginning of next season isn't nearly as important with Alston on board. But, why do it today when there's tomorrow?

If we could find a way to ship Battie & AJ's expirings for a legit PF in the offseason, this roster would be Kitno certified.

If anyone on our team has the mindset and toughness to rehab and come back from surgery faster than expected, I would have to put my money on Nelson. Wouldn't you?

I was kind of hoping Boston and Cleveland would be fighting for Smith and we could land Moore, looks like that wont happen though.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

Saw this thread coming....

Did you watch the first 45 games En?

lol, I felt this thread coming too. But I think I was actually about to write one before I saw it this morning..

Albeit with a question mark at the end of the statement..

;-)

O.K. Let me preface my points with a couple things before I briefly lay out my case:

1. Jameer Nelson is a better player than Rafer Alston

2. I would take Nelson back in a heartbeat

However, with that said, there has been one major point on my mind in this whole thing: giving up Nelson for Alston is NOT simply a case of replacing player A with player B. It's easy to look at it that way, but it definitely isn't that simple. These two guys clearly have different games and our players around them are naturally reacting differently than they would with player A. That much is agreed on. Are the Magic better with player B? I honestly think that may prove to be at least debatable.

The obvious points have already been made: Alston is a facilitator. He is a pure, pass-first PG that we've never really had with this team. He seems to be making Hedo and Rashard better. He seems to be pushing the tempo and getting us into a great rhythm. The ball movement looks phenomenal right now. He's a good defender.

Jameer is clearly a better scorer (in a variety of ways) and is a big-time motivator and clutch performer (the most irreplaceable attribute), but I happen to think that we just might have other players on this team that can actually replace that.

And there are things from Jameer's game that he simply replaces: he keeps Lee in the starting 5 and puts Pietrus back as the spark where he belongs. A.J. is back to the bench putting up better numbers in 17 min. than he did for us in 30 min.

All those points are easy, so I'm going to make a new one:

82 games is a long, long, long season. We've all seen teams have great regular seasons only to eventually crumble when the spotlight gets brighter. Heck, we've probably seen that more often than a great regular season actually being rewarded. The pressure is quite intense when you're playing to legitimize your past. How many of you would have been a bit nervous had we won 62 games and captured the first seed? I know I would have felt a bit of that pressure, and I'm a freakin' fan!

I guess what I'm saying is that bringing in Alston is a way to eliminate some of those pressure points. I know it sounds like a bunch of superstitious hogwash, but I truly feel that when I watch a team (in any sport) that plays a long, long season with consistent success with the same players within the same system - - there IS a tendency to burn out. There is a tendency for "going through the motions." Only suddenly, those shots aren't falling.

What I'm really saying here is that Alston has eliminated that fear for me. I see a team that (if healthy) has not only revived that energy and confidence, but will have a *fresh* outlook come April. 29 games is perfect, IMO, to get Alston in here and ready for the postseason.

This was kind of a long rant here for me to basically just to say that I believe in U.F.O.'s, but come on. Hear me out ;-)

Alston give a new dimension to the team. Orlando has been talking about running the ball fast for the past 2 seasons. But we do not have anyone that can actually run. Now we have Alston.

From last year playoff, we saw how Philly brought Detroit to 7 games and how Atlanta brought Celtics to 7 games. They ran. They score before Celtics and Detroit has the chanes to set up their defend.

We have MP, Lee and Alston this year. Hopefully SVG will work something for the 3 of them to run and score against Detroit and Boston.

I read all these posts and all I can think and do is look up and say thankyou. We all have stated the importance of a good back up point guard. Well I think we have a good back up starting. Who could be considered very good by playing on this Magic team, simply because of his "fit" on this team. His skills are tailormade for the Magic. He doesn't need to be a scorer with his passing ability. Orlando has the shooters. I really liked what he has stated, everywhere he looked there are weapons. I love Jameer, and I wish him a quick and healthy return, but right now I can enjoy Rafer's time to shine. For the rest of this season we as fan's don't have a choice anyway. Next year, lets hope they cohabitate well. Both of their cases could be stated depending on who the other team is. That is amazing to me since the bigger points who often try and bully Jameer will have Rafer to also go against. This team is getting down right scary good. Stan now has an added weapon to handle what a team throws at us. This is Win Win and I see allot of Winning for the Orlando Magic.

Disagree, what made jameer an allstar, and what put us at an Elite level was his game changing offensive ability and his 50% shooting, hes not an AMAZING passer but i would still rather have the 20+ pts instead of having tons of assist and low points. I didnt mind that jameer didnt have tons of assists, he would still most of the time make the right pass at the time in a key situation. If he would have only 5 assist, it might look bad just looking at a stat sheet but in the game those 5 assist were probably the most important passes in the game.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

OK,

I know it's a ridiculously small amount of actual game history I'm going on here but Skip has the best court vision of any PG we've had in the Dwight era.

Jameer was playing great and next year he will surely get the starting position but I wonder how used Dwight and company will get to a pass first energy PG as the season and the playoffs go on. Surely we are hopeful we make a long and lasting impression on the playoffs this year and if Skip becomes an integral part of the team, the whispers will start that we're better with a true point guard.

FAIL!!