Sign in to follow this  
Rodriguez

What Otis is going to do w/ Alston next year?

Depends on how our season is going. If we have an amazing record and have 40 or more wins before the AS break then we keep him. If we have glaring needs then he is gone.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

Alston will start next season with the Magic, then maybe deal off his expiring at the deadline next year.

alston isn't going to start next year...all star pgs don't just lose their spots like that.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

quote:

Alston will start next season with the Magic, then maybe deal off his expiring at the deadline next year.

alston isn't going to start next year...all star pgs don't just lose their spots like that.

I guess I worded that wrong. I didn't mean he'll be the starter, I meant he will start the season in Orlando. My bad.

quote:

quote:

Do we need to open up a thread for the Nelson Bandwagon?

quote:

quote:

I think he meant he's going to start with the Magic, as in start off on our team, then maybe deal off his expiring at the deadline next year...

quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess I worded that wrong. I didn't mean he'll be the starter, I meant he will start the season in Orlando. My bad.

maybe i read it wrong...i see what you mean now.

Question to people familiar with Alston. Will 15 minutes a game be enough for him? He is used to starting for playoff teams and for his minutes and role to be slashed so dramatically may be tough. And if you don't think he'd accept it well, could short stints of a Nelson-Alston backcourt be effective at all?

quote:
Originally posted by CoachTsurfing:

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

I don't think Alston's going anywhere. He should backup Jameer as we make our best push yet to a championship. Otis should just let Lue expire this summer, and then A.J. the summer after.

He has a gaurented contract for next year at 2.5 mil. Not to high for a back-up pg. There isn't a heck of a lot of drop off defensively between him and Nelson. Alston might be even a bit better. About the same as far as distributing the ball. Nelson obvisouly shoots better. I'd say he will stay until his contract is up and if it pans out I hope we sign him.

Here is an update about Rafer's salary and everyone should read.

It's from the O.S. via ESPN:

To ensure that the $5.3 million on the final season of his contract in 2009-10 is a fully guaranteed $5.3 million, Orlando's Rafer Alston has to be on the active list for only 70 regular-season games (he's already at 52 entering Friday's play) and participate in 40 regular-season wins (he's at 30).

He'll obviously get to those reasonable contract benchmarks in both cases comfortably as long as he avoids injury.

Don't think the Magic will complain, though. Even if they have to pay Alston his full $5.3 million next season, bringing him in just before the deadline didn't stick them with a long-term obligation. So Alston gives Orlando hope of salvaging something from this season without Jameer Nelson ... and without making it too much tougher for the Magic to re-sign Hedo Turkoglu than it already was.

So it appears that next year the Magic will be paying 5.3 for Rafer not the 2.5 as reported big difference.

btw espn trade machine has the Magic with a total of 4.4 million in trade exceptions that includes the last trade made by the Magic for Rafer.

quote:
btw espn trade machine has the Magic with a total of 4.4 million in trade exceptions that includes the last trade made by the Magic for Rafer.

Well if thats true, it should get us a pretty high first rounder if Otis is so inclined.

Thats the route im hoping for anyway

I'm not so sure about that, glancing at our financial outlook, considering what we may or may not have to do in the summer, I'm not even sold on the idea of Otis trying to acquire another 1st round pick because of salary constraint, let alone pick up a 2nd rounder...there is part of me that believes he will use the TPE on a 1st, but there is another part that says the reason Otis decided to spend our first on Alston is because he is looking beyond the draft and is not planning on drafting this year...2nd rounder is a possibility, non guaranteed contracts and all, but the talent pool is usually slim, each year there are only about 1 or 2 guys at most that end up becoming anything...