Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Magic trade for Veteran PG Rafer Alston!

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:
Originally posted by WalterQ26:

quote:
Originally posted by Svanxx:

If I was on the Rockets, I'd be looking for mine too. That team is a mess. SVG has coached him before, so I think he'd be fine, also being on a contender makes you play much differently.

The team is a mess because of Tmac and the injurys. When Tmac sits and Brooks plays, we are fine. I love Lowry and what he brings to the team. Rafer couldn't run a fast break, he would jack up threes with 3 on 1s lol.

U guys did get much better but Rafer Alston is not that good.

Lowry isn't very good. He shoots a very low percentage and hasn't proven anything. Rafer Alston is the kind of player who can come in and be surrounded by the closest and friendliest team in the NBA playing under a genius of a coach who he is familiar with and be rejuvinated, not thinking about a team that is known for losing and careers falling apart, but a team that is just winning. The Magic are on pace with the Cavs and Celtics now that we have an adequate point guard, who will be considerabaly better with this new team. Next season though, this makes the 'Gic the best team in the league with a lot of expirings and teams desperate for them

True Lowry can not hit the outside shot but that is not his game? Rondo, Parker none of those guys can shoot the ball.

I think Lowry given the right situation will be fine. Brooks is the outside shooter, Lowry can penetrate way better than Alston ever has. Lets just say this.. When we played the Grizzles, Lowry raped Alston down the court.

Rafer is in a great situation. I am just trying to point out he is not that great of a player. His shot is horrendous. He fits in with the Magic "lets take 50 threes tonight" philosophy. I just don't like when teams live by the three.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If I was on the Rockets, I'd be looking for mine too. That team is a mess. SVG has coached him before, so I think he'd be fine, also being on a contender makes you play much differently.

The team is a mess because of Tmac and the injurys. When Tmac sits and Brooks plays, we are fine. I love Lowry and what he brings to the team. Rafer couldn't run a fast break, he would jack up threes with 3 on 1s lol.

Lowry isn't very good. He shoots a very low percentage and hasn't proven anything. Rafer Alston is the kind of player who can come in and be surrounded by the closest and friendliest team in the NBA playing under a genius of a coach who he is familiar with and be rejuvinated, not thinking about a team that is known for losing and careers falling apart, but a team that is just winning. The Magic are on pace with the Cavs and Celtics now that we have an adequate point guard, who will be considerabaly better with this new team. Next season though, this makes the 'Gic the best team in the league with a lot of expirings and teams desperate for them

True Lowry can not hit the outside shot but that is not his game? Rondo, Parker none of those guys can shoot the ball.

I think Lowry given the right situation will be fine. Brooks is the outside shooter, Lowry can penetrate way better than Alston ever has. Lets just say this.. When we played the Grizzles, Lowry raped Alston down the court.

Rafer is in a great situation. I am just trying to point out he is not that great of a player. His shot is horrendous. He fits in with the Magic "lets take 50 threes tonight" philosophy. I just don't like when teams live by the three.

Before the season was Jameer that great of a player? Was Hedo even a servicable starter before Van Gundy? Were there any Dwight-Moses comparsions three seasons ago? Nope, everything changes when you play for Stan Van Gundy and Rafer Alston will take this and turn into some great numbers, play hard defensively and lead us to the second round something Rocket's fans don't really get the luxury of having. And yeah, at some point, sub-30% from beyond the arc will hurt you because Yao ain't Tim Duncan and the less and less spacing you have the worse of you'll be.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Before the season was Jameer that great of a player? Was Hedo even a servicable starter before Van Gundy? Were there any Dwight-Moses comparsions three seasons ago? Nope, everything changes when you play for Stan Van Gundy and Rafer Alston will take this and turn into some great numbers, play hard defensively and lead us to the second round something Rocket's fans don't really get the luxury of having. And yeah, at some point, sub-30% from beyond the arc will hurt you because Yao ain't Tim Duncan and the less and less spacing you have the worse of you'll be.

Stan Van Gundy will never be in the same field as Jerry Sloan (Who I HATE) but respect.

I think Jameer was a fine player. Hedo had a great year last yr, not so this year. I wish Rashard got the start at SF instead because that is his true position.

Well maybe we didnt get to the 2nd round because of Rafers inconsistent shooting and defending?! haha

Obviously the Magic have a better team. I am not trying to compare two teams but Rafer had enough talent around him. He was always the most hated guy from the FANS VIEWS. I am just here to say that should say something? Yao gave him open looks almost every time. The other players on the team seemed to have no problem. Rafer cant attack the basket like Brooks or Lowry.

One thing I can say is that Rafer is a great person. Don't believe the hype about his off the court issues. He is one of the nicest NBA players you will meet. He loves to party as well, and is very approachable.. will talk about basketball all day.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

Chad Ford at it again!

quote:
1. ORLANDO MAGIC

Positive Spin: The combination of Tyronn Lue and Anthony Johnson just wasn't going to cut it. Rafer Alston gives Orlando a legit point guard to handle the team while Jameer Nelson sits out the rest of the season after shoulder surgery. Alston's contract is guaranteed for only $2.5 million next year.

Negative Spin: The Magic had to give up a first-round pick, which hurts. It's still highly doubtful that -- even with Alston -- this team can beat the Celtics and/or Cavs in a seven-game series. And I'm told they passed on a deal for a better point guard: Jamaal Tinsley.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/...age=TradeEval-090220

Really Chad? Jamal Tinsley is a better Point Guard than Rafer Alston? Well, even if that is the case, his contract certainly is not.

Plus it sounds like Chad likes a cancer and that is what Tinsley would have been to the Magic no better then Marbury why do you think the Pacers could never unload him.

I take Rafer any day over Jamal. Plus in the last two games Rafer played for Houston he had 24 assists playing an average of 31 minutes for each game.

Sounds like the Magic hit a home run with this trade.

Plus Chad is an idiot not an expert when it comes to basketball.

Sorry to tell you this but Jamal Tinsley is a way better PG than Alston. This is coming from a Rockets fan.

Then why has his team banned him and would have taken anything to dump him?

Talent wise, he is a better PG. Injury, head case and contract wise he loses out when compared to Alston as an option for us.

I got a kick out of Chad Ford's comment on this also. So it would have been better to go after a guy that hasn't played all year and has never been known for working hard to stay in shape? Tinsley played less D than just about any other point in the league, how exactly would that have been better? Tinsley is also extremely injury prone and cost's more why would that have been a better move?

quote:

He fits in with the Magic "lets take 50 threes tonight" philosophy. I just don't like when teams live by the three.

You must not have been a Rockets fan back from '93-'95. They managed to field two title teams by surrounding a dominant big man with timely outside shooters.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

He fits in with the Magic "lets take 50 threes tonight" philosophy. I just don't like when teams live by the three.

You must not have been a Rockets fan back from '93-'95. They managed to field two title teams by surrounding a dominant big man with timely outside shooters.

Not to mention that we also play D unlike many teams that live and die by the 3.

Didn't think we could get any takers for Cook, so I am not mad at this trade. If it gives the guys their fight back then we can compete again.

Skip and Lee give us hella speed in the backcourt. Looking forward to seeing how this will play out.