Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanBen

Would you pick up these players?

Ok I am just wondering the opinion TRUE Magic fans would have on this.

I was discussing with a friend of mine that by the end of next season the Magic will be THE team every vet will want to hitch a ride with. It just so happens to be the year both Shaq and Hill will be free agents. Both have said they will probably retire. I hold my own opinion in this BUT.

Would you pick them up to split the MLE? They would be around 37/38 in age. So they would only be good for Bench roles. But we all know that in spurts a 50% Shaq can kick the crap out of most of the league. Put him in the second team and it would be murder since there would be no second team guy that could hold him down for 15 minutes a game as Dwight's back up.

So here is the two sides of the argument. First with Shaq. You either hold the grudge and NOT let him be apart of any potential championship. OR you sign him to a role that is well below anything he probably ever thought he would accept.

Now on Hill, He seems to be a curse to team as I told my friend. He goes to a loaded Suns team and they implode. Now I had assumed most Magic fans would say no to Hill under any circumstances, but I wanted to put it out there. I think Hill would take away time from JJ & CLee. I figure both of those guys then would be out scoring from the bench.

I am posting this after reading an article about how the Suns will probably have to rebuild this summer if they do not win it all.

Ok I am just wondering the opinion TRUE Magic fans would have on this.

I was discussing with a friend of mine that by the end of next season the Magic will be THE team every vet will want to hitch a ride with. It just so happens to be the year both Shaq and Hill will be free agents. Both have said they will probably retire. I hold my own opinion in this BUT.

Would you pick them up to split the MLE? They would be around 37/38 in age. So they would only be good for Bench roles. But we all know that in spurts a 50% Shaq can kick the crap out of most of the league. Put him in the second team and it would be murder since there would be no second team guy that could hold him down for 15 minutes a game as Dwight's back up.

So here is the two sides of the argument. First with Shaq. You either hold the grudge and NOT let him be apart of any potential championship. OR you sign him to a role that is well below anything he probably ever thought he would accept.

Now on Hill, He seems to be a curse to team as I told my friend. He goes to a loaded Suns team and they implode. Now I had assumed most Magic fans would say no to Hill under any circumstances, but I wanted to put it out there. I think Hill would take away time from JJ & CLee. I figure both of those guys then would be out scoring from the bench.

I am posting this after reading an article about how the Suns will probably have to rebuild this summer if they do not win it all.

No. Too old and both have the chief complex ... meaning they demand, both spoken and unspoken, that they be the leaders and not followers.

No to Hill, yes to Shaq.

I hated Shaq for a long time, but he has reached out to Dwight and has been fairly cordial to Orlando. He has lost a lot of ego in his old age, but keeps that youthful jovial attitude.

Grant Hill, those wounds are too fresh.

Same as above, would take Shaq back in an instant. It's not like it was foolish for him to leave, as he got the Championships.

If he comes cheap enough, both him and Howard would overpower any team and I think he would know that as much as anyone. To get another ring while barely playing? I think he wouldn't mind that.

Grant Hill is a curse. Every team he's left has gotten better and if we win a championship in the next few years, then we can say every team he's left has won a championship. That's a good enough reason for me to not want him back, not counting the 7 years he killed the team.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

no and no

this reeks of payton/malone to LA to me. Too many egos, only one ball.

I have to agree here with you no ma'am. A big NO to Hill and one for Shaq. Yes it looks very nice in paper but Shaq will be asking for a bigger role and that could end up hurting the team like Malone and Payton did for L.A.

Yes to Shaq, I don't think you can have enough decent cover in the frontcourt, and would have at least 3 bodies who could foul when called upon.

No way to Hill, he's a loser through and through.

My opinion is the same as much of yours. I would probably take back Shaq and put him in s Tree Rollins role from the early 90's. It could not hurt to have him around to at least teach Dwight a few things and then to have him come in for 10 minutes stretches in each half.

You know Shaq would want to do it to try and mend any fences in Orlando. But I am telling you as a die hard Magic fan, it would be really really tough to take him on the team just because of the History. I would not want the team to ever retire his jersey, but you know ifhe came back it would end up happening since no one has worn it since he left. it has essentially been retired since 1996.