Sign in to follow this  
noypi_magic

Point Guard Trade Thread

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Nelson has been let off the leash, freed up to play his game, without anyone trying to force him into a playing style he isn't comfortable with, and without having to look over his shoulder and wonder if someone is challenging him for playing time.

It's a difficult balance to find someone good enough to play the back up role, but humble enough to take the little bit of backup minutes left after Jameer gets the lions share.

With Jameer playing the way he is, I doubt you would ever see Otis and Stan move to another lineup where we are splitting the PG minutes fairly evenly between two players.

That's why AJ is a good backup for this team right now. He is a solid vet, nothing flashy. He isn't going to really push the tempo, he isn't going to wow you with Carlitoesque passes nor upset you with mental mistakes (stupid turnovers etc).

Combine that with the ability for Hedo and Lee (somewhat) to also being the ball up the court, and I think the need for a backup PG is near the bottom of the list.

For those reasons, I think a lot of the suggestions here wouldn't work. Diener would be an okay fit, but would you trust him running the team?

Guys like Watson and Hinrich would hate the position they were in, and guys like Jackson are fan favorites for their team, no way they get traded for trash. A guy like Bayless isn't going to get playing time to develop into a PG here. Lee is getting minimal time to work that angle, why trade to give that to someone else?

No way the Hawks trade anyone to the Magic. I am as certain of this as I am that we wouldn't trade JJ to Boston. Why help the team you are trying to pass get better?

I think a more likely solution would be to see who is out there as a free agent that we could pick up without trying to pawn of players other teams don't want or pieces Otis isn't willing to move.

Anyone know who is sitting out there waiting for a phone call?

AJ is not a good pg. It's great that jameer doesn't have to look over his shoulder, but with the exception of Hinrich (maybe), do you really think he would have anything to worry about with any of those guys mentioned?

The offense suffers with AJ and his defense is just above terrible. Putting our need for a backup pg at "the bottom of the list" is insane to me. It is clearly our weakest spot.

The problem with acquiring a pricey PG is that we don't have anything to offer in return that would be attractive enough to land a PG making more than the MLE. So while it's nice to work ourselves into a lather with thoughts of obtaining Hinrich, Watson, etc, we should, and likely will, look to the waiver wire, the list of players bought out, or the small list of free agents still available, to sign a part-time backup to a very reasonable contract that won't leave us cap strapped even further.

The same thing applies to the PF quest. Affordability is the word of the day.

Well we did acquire a really good SG last year's draft, what about trying to do a good job scouting again??? Another choice we have is to wait some time until more guys are released from teams and then we can pick them up at a bargain so it's basically the waiting game. I don't think we can really do a trade unless we trade Bogans somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Sorry guys. Didn't look to see if the thread had been created.

Again ... One guy I think Otis could obtain and probably is watching is the former Geiko Lizard, Mr. Tyronn Lue. He ain't special, he ain't pretty, but he is an experienced, high energy, shooting pg. KITNO, tell me I'm wrong.

Bogans and 2nd for Lue: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?playe...eams=15~19&te=&cash=

Lue was def on the Magics radar at the time Jameer was injured. I have no idea if he remains a player of interest for them, but I would imagine the Bucks would be happy to give him away now that Luke is back.

Im still of the opinion that we need to canvas the D-League and find a young man that would be very hungry and give us 10 min or so a game.

We all have some issues with AJ, but I think he does a commendable job most nights and I dont think we really do any better supplanting him.

On the PF front, id love to add a Collison or someone of his ilk, but that takes money and we dont have it. I have been on the Hedo trade bandwagon but in light of our terrific play, ill agree with some that we shouldnt mess up what has brought us so much success, and thats our chemistry.

AJ sucks, i think we can all agree on that.

The problem with getting a backup PG (which i think is our biggest need) is he needs to be cheap, and gettable without giving up more than Cook & Bogans. That really limits you. I dont think a move is going to be made.

The only move that i could see happening is cook for an expiring, if anyones stupid enough to take him.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Sorry guys. Didn't look to see if the thread had been created.

Again ... One guy I think Otis could obtain and probably is watching is the former Geiko Lizard, Mr. Tyronn Lue. He ain't special, he ain't pretty, but he is an experienced, high energy, shooting pg. KITNO, tell me I'm wrong.

Bogans and 2nd for Lue: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?playe...eams=15~19&te=&cash=

Lue was def on the Magics radar at the time Jameer was injured. I have no idea if he remains a player of interest for them, but I would imagine the Bucks would be happy to give him away now that Luke is back.

i think that we have enough citrus fruit here to lure lue.

we'd seriously need an ultra scout in our situation if we want to get a guy who can put up or shut up behind jameer without horribly failing and losing cook, i mean who will foyle fight with over the last bag of potato chips on the bench if we trade him?

alot can be said about a player's mentality in correlation with a losing team, who was boris daiw in atl before he went to a winning situation on pheonix?

i'd take a good look at teams with poor chemistry, along with a terrible record, and start looking at players on the bench that could contribute but are in a bad situation for themselves. think about all of those promising draft picks that went by in the last couple of years and what a system like orlando could do for their game as well as morale. example the clippers, they seem to eat good picks for breakfast, i'm sure one of their many busts can turn out to contribute.

25 Mardy Collins PG 24 6-6 220 Temple $1,034,760

6 Jason Hart PG 30 6-3 180 Syracuse $2,484,000

4 Mike Taylor PG 23 6-2 165 Iowa State $500,000

this is just an example, i'm not calling them busts, but with baron davis as their first and obvious pg i'm sure the clips aren't using all of these guys. and to tell you the truth there is a boris diaw story waiting to be written again, somewhere.

quote:

Nelson has been let off the leash, freed up to play his game, without anyone trying to force him into a playing style he isn't comfortable with, and without having to look over his shoulder and wonder if someone is challenging him for playing time.

It's a difficult balance to find someone good enough to play the back up role, but humble enough to take the little bit of backup minutes left after Jameer gets the lions share.

With Jameer playing the way he is, I doubt you would ever see Otis and Stan move to another lineup where we are splitting the PG minutes fairly evenly between two players.

That's why AJ is a good backup for this team right now. He is a solid vet, nothing flashy. He isn't going to really push the tempo, he isn't going to wow you with Carlitoesque passes nor upset you with mental mistakes (stupid turnovers etc).

Combine that with the ability for Hedo and Lee (somewhat) to also being the ball up the court, and I think the need for a backup PG is near the bottom of the list.

For those reasons, I think a lot of the suggestions here wouldn't work. Diener would be an okay fit, but would you trust him running the team?

Guys like Watson and Hinrich would hate the position they were in, and guys like Jackson are fan favorites for their team, no way they get traded for trash. A guy like Bayless isn't going to get playing time to develop into a PG here. Lee is getting minimal time to work that angle, why trade to give that to someone else?

No way the Hawks trade anyone to the Magic. I am as certain of this as I am that we wouldn't trade JJ to Boston. Why help the team you are trying to pass get better?

I think a more likely solution would be to see who is out there as a free agent that we could pick up without trying to pawn of players other teams don't want or pieces Otis isn't willing to move.

Right now pg is not a problem the team has 3 players who backup Nelson.

For once I agree with Kyler who said that Otis is happy with Nelson, AJ and Hedo (and throw in Lee when needed).

Right now Otis is staying pat not making a move since no one wants Cook. To think that last year the trade was for Cook and Evans was the throw in and yet it turned out that Cook was worth not much and Evans worked. So the Magic end up with Cook for this year and maybe next if no one wants him.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:

Combine that with the ability for Hedo and Lee (somewhat) to also bring the ball up the court, and I think the need for a backup PG is near the bottom of the list.

Right now pg is not a problem the team has 3 players who backup Nelson.

For once I agree with Kyler who said that Otis is happy with Nelson, AJ and Hedo (and throw in Lee when needed).

Right now Otis is staying pat not making a move since no one wants Cook. To think that last year the trade was for Cook and Evans was the throw in and yet it turned out that Cook was worth not much and Evans worked. So the Magic end up with Cook for this year and maybe next if no one wants him.