Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Will Brian make adjustments?

wow, MM sounds frustrated. arent we all though??? for the most part, it appears to me that the detroit bball fans have less IQ the the magic posters...so there is no need to apologize to them. i do understand his frustration though. we are slated to lose this series in five games, but i truly think we have the ability to extend the series. adjustments need to be made. ghill cant keep up with the 2 on all those screens, so he should guard the point. dooling has the length to atleast try guarding the 2, he should be given the task. turk should guard the 3, he has the length necessary for prince. darko matches up well with 'sheed.

onto offense...i think that coach should recognize quicker if a certain lineup isnt working. he seems to wait a little too long to make changes, thats the extent of the problem with him. i wish jj would get in, he has plenty of playoff experience where he was the man, so i think that him being a sixth man isnt too far off. however, bhill is not one to take chances on rookies. despite how well he has been playing, we cant rely on ghill's offense. that should just be a plus. unless the pistons are over the limit on fouls then let ghill work to get to the line if our offense is stagnant. i like ariza, but we need him and dooling to concentrate on D. bottom line, turk and howard have to step up. i think that jameer is overdue for a twenty point game. i dont expect that it will happen tonight, i am just pointing it out. it would be nice if we got an unexpected boost from someone like arroyo or redick. maybe like 10 points. i dont know for sure, but i bet if a stat guru checks, he will find that everytime jj scores 10 or more, we have a very high winning %. just a hunch though. I would say something about darko, but i dont want to jinx him. i will say one thing though...he could be our x-factor this series. lets see how he plays tonight!

who thinks dwight will get 20 boards tonight???

JJ's Rotaional mistakes...now that's funny!! All year I have been watching a team get beat and it is because JJ makes rotational mistakes??? Mind you, Military Mistake, it would be different if JJ played for NC or another of your favorite teams, but he was coached by one of the best defensive coaches in the nation...you know the guy whose coaching the FIBA and Olympic team.

I can assure you JJ knows how to rotate on defense...no matter whose dumb system it is. His IQ is very high on and off the court. I am sure he can catch on pretty quickly. Let me explain this to you....everyone gets beat on defense...ah...thats how the other team scores...understand that so far? It is when it happens repeatedly that it becomes a liability...you know like Jameer does. Newbies your all alike. I don't mean as a poster just as a fan Military.

Ok Military, I think I understand you a little bit better now.

However, I feel I must point out this:

The reason most of us are commenting that changes should be made in the starting lineup is because B Hill has a very predictable substitution pattern that leaves a "group" of players on the court for extended period. Case in point, the 10 1/2 minutes that our starters played during the 1st and 3rd quarters that I referencd in previous posts. I'm sure many of us would feel fine with the starting unit remaining as is, if we had any confidence in B Hill's ability to recognize momentum changes, mismatches, etc, and consequently make player substitutions in no pre-arranged order.

I must ask though, how would you suggest that the Magic deal with the mismatch at PG with Jameer Nelson matched up against Billups?

And, although I follow your reasoning regarding Darko, I still think it is important at some point for our coach to demonstarte supreme confidence in Darko's ability to match up with other talented bigs. Coddling him and bringing him about slowly may not be the best way to increase his effectiveness. In my opinion, he seems to be the type of player that needs constant affirmation that he is the number one option and despite any mistakes, will continue to fill that role.

One other thing...It also seems that most of us are very unhappy about the lack of playing time that Ariza & JJ received in the opening game. Any answers from your prespective on that?

Again, in my opinion, this team has one of two options in the playoffs, play our vets in an effort to win the series, or play our young players to get them much needed experience. It doesn't seem that the two can coincide.

quote:
Originally posted by oldmagicfan:

JJ's Rotaional mistakes...now that's funny!! All year I have been watching a team get beat and it is because JJ makes rotational mistakes??? Mind you, Military Mistake, it would be different if JJ played for NC or another of your favorite teams, but he was coached by one of the best defensive coaches in the nation...you know the guy whose coaching the FIBA and Olympic team.

I can assure you JJ knows how to rotate on defense...no matter whose dumb system it is. His IQ is very high on and off the court. I am sure he can catch on pretty quickly. Let me explain this to you....everyone gets beat on defense...ah...thats how the other team scores...understand that so far? It is when it happens repeatedly that it becomes a liability...you know like Jameer does. Newbies your all alike. I don't mean as a poster just as a fan Military.

JJ doesn't get beat off the dribble very often, although he is prone to it if he is not careful.

On the other hand JJ has trouble figuring out NBA-style rotations. He gets lost under screens and him and Ariza sometimes end up guarding the same guy while the other man shoots an open 3. Ariza, as the swing defensive player on the 2nd unit, is liable to make initial rotations. JJ doesn't see this all the time and is prone to rotate to the wrong player. Whenever this happens, our whole team ends up out of position on defense.

It's one of the worst mistakes you can make on D and I've seen JJ do it more often than anyone else outside of Keith Bogans, who I pray to GOD does NOT get the nod in game 2 over JJ.

Aye Smack, we are at an understanding.

I agree that B Hill *always* waits too long to make substitutions. I'm convinced it isn't something he's even conciously doing now, he just doesn't wise up. He needs to keep better track of players that are sucking and be prepared to sub faster. You nailed it, it's that BHill has pre-arranged substitutions and he doesn't react to the on-the-court situations but 1-in-20 times.

Anyhow, we made our run with Ariza out of the game, right? With Hedo and Grant nailing some big shots and layups. Ariza didn't do much in the 1st half but receive and dunk Darko's drop-dead-awesome outlet pass at the end of the half. He looked a bit deer-in-headlights to me.

If I were coach, I'd stave off the big player adjustments until we're at home. In front of a home crowd, players like Darko, Trevor, and JJ are much more prone to playing well and under control. I'd plan out bigger changes for Game 3 and roll them out on the home court.

EDIT: I apologize for calling the entire board out for being uninformed and not being knowledgeable. This isn't really the case and the few people that keep beating the "Brian Hill Sucks" dead horse just really annoy me. Sorry guys.

quote:
Originally posted by lemonice1:

Jameer does not have the size to guard Hamilton or Billups. Bench him, start G Hill at the PG position, and have Ariza play the 2. Hill had more assists in game 1 than Jameer, Dooling, and Arroyo combined. Hill and Ariza have the size to play Billups and Hamilton. Jameer and Dooling off the bench would be a nice spark.

But to answer your question, no, Brian will not make adjustments.

Sorry, to jameer fans, buthe can

Basically, we're all frustrated. We've known all season that we are a much better team than what has been demonstrated.

Unfortunately, B Hill has either not learned many lessons during his many seasons coaching, or he has trouble applying those lessons learned to his game time strategy.

I just don't want to watch the same predictable plan followed by the same predictable results.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

EDIT: I apologize for calling the entire board out for being uninformed and not being knowledgeable. This isn't really the case and the few people that keep beating the "Brian Hill Sucks" dead horse just really annoy me. Sorry guys.

I understand your frustration as well, but the problem is that horse is not dead yet.

When SI reports you have the worst coach in the playoffs. Then you again see history repeat itself as Brian makes NO real changes to try and minimize mismatches in this series.

Detroit is a tough nut to crack and simply going with the same old lineup, game plan, and rotations that lead to a 40-43 (now 0-5 against the pistons) is just going to get us swept again.

I would like Darko to start because putting Battie in there allows Wallace and Webber to switch off on Dwight and pummel him using all of their six fouls a half judiciously. But if Dwight and Darko can play 38-40 mpg they can get Wallace and Webber into foul trouble and force Detroit to go to there bench early.

We simply don't match up on the perimeter no matter how you shuffle the rotation. Detroit's big three of Billups, Hamilton and Prince have size, can defend and score. We just don't have three wing players that can match their balance. Our only chance is to try to utilize our interior size and rebounding advantage.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

I understand your frustration as well, but the problem is that horse is not dead yet.

When SI reports you have the worst coach in the playoffs. Then you again see history repeat itself as Brian makes NO real changes to try and minimize mismatches in this series.

Detroit is a tough nut to crack and simply going with the same old lineup, game plan, and rotations that lead to a 40-43 (now 0-5 against the pistons) is just going to get us swept again.

I would like Darko to start because putting Battie in there allows Wallace and Webber to switch off on Dwight and pummel him using all of their six fouls a half judiciously. But if Dwight and Darko can play 38-40 mpg they can get Wallace and Webber into foul trouble and force Detroit to go to there bench early.

We simply don't match up on the perimeter no matter how you shuffle the rotation. Detroit's big three of Billups, Hamilton and Prince have size, can defend and score. We just don't have three wing players that can match their balance. Our only chance is to try to utilize our interior size and rebounding advantage.

That's what I'm talkin about BH. We should be the team that causes our opponent to make adjustments to match up with out bigs, rather than riding Battie for 20-30 minutes right into another loss. We should be procative rather than reactive all the **** time (and sometimes we don't even react at all).

Why shouldn't we think that Darko & Dwight together will put their bigs in foul trouble? They can't match up with us.

Rather we should play Battie so they can put us in foul trouble? I don't like it.

Chris Webber has always been a horrible defender. We should start Darko and attack which ever player that Webber is defending. When they bring in Mcdyess they would have a significant size advantage. We need to force feed the post repeatedly and wear out their interior defense. This isn't the same Pistons team from a year ago. We can score at will in the paint if our bigs get the opportunities.

I don't understand why the only guy on our roster that can match up with Prince played only 7 minutes. Brian Hill must change that tonight. The part that really confuses me is that Hill loves Ariza's game. Why he didn't give him a chance in game 1 is beyond me.

I knew that JJ wasn't going to get any time. I could see it at the end of the season when JJ's minutes started to dwindle for no apparent reason. I have a theory that the guys that are constantly running off of screens are also the best at defending players that also do it. Its why Reggie Miller who was never a good one on one defender used to give Hamilton all he wanted. I don't think JJ is going to lock Hamilton down but I really believe he can be on the floor without it hurting our team defense. If I'm wrong then pull him and no harm no foul. If I'm right we have a player that will keep the Piston defenders out of Dwights lap.

Athena are u the same person who spends most of his time posting on subjects like, "Who has the hottest wife in the NBA". Now that takes alot of Baskeball Knowledge to do that. And your cricizing someone elses opinion? Now I have heard it all!