Sign in to follow this  
TheRevTy

Brian Schmitz

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2009/01/cheap-shot-by-h.html

This guy is the worst reporter I have ever seen. Seriously, he is just awful. Read this:

quote:
I don't want to say that pro athletes are pampered these days, but when the Magic were playing in Minneapolis, they took a bus from their hotel to the arena. . . . .that was around the corner. Across the street. I mean, Stan Van Gundy could have stayed in his room and yelled instructions to them.

Ok, first of all, there aren't any hotels THAT close to the Target Center. There just aren't. Second, it was a whopping 15 degrees that day, with a windchill that was painful. It was absolutely freezing. Third, Minneapolis isn't exactly the safest city. He wants our players walking down the street in downtown? Not to mention the gear they had to carry. Yep, they're just pampered. (Schmitz goes on to say that he took the Skyway. So in other words, you just wanted to fill space and use a recycled joke.)

But this is the part that made me disgusted:

quote:
Well, I can only hope that Bill Ingram of Hoops World has skin as thick as rawhide. We'll see how he likes being embarrassed.

Writes Ingram: "I was in Orlando covering a game last season and Dwight Howard pulled me aside as if he has some big secret to share. He asked me if I had seen the movie "Back To The Future," which of course I have. He then pointed at a member of the Magic media corps. Nothing else had to be said. I couldn't help but join Dwight in laughing hysterically, as the person he had pointed out had crazy flowing white hair - just like the character "Doc Brown" from the movie.

That's one example of the carefree, funloving atmosphere you find in Orlando, though I could give many others."

Why didn't he then? All the barbs being tossed in that dressing room by teammates on other teammates would have really reflected the "fun-loving atmosphere" wouldn't it? Afraid the players wouldn't like it, Ingram?

Here, Ingram, let me help you out: Jameer Nelson calling Anthony Johnson "no neck" and mocking him by pulling up his collar to his ears. Howard telling Keith Bogans he needs lotion on his "ashen head." Nelson poking fun at Hedo Turkoglu's stomach pooch. Bogans saying he can't pry the ball from Turkoglu's hands for shots. Howard imitating GM Otis Smith's walk.

But in an effort to suck up to Howard, jock-sniffing Ingram denigrates a long-standing member of the Magic media and a friend of mine unnecessarily.

Howard zings everybody --- sometimes going overboard in a comedy club that passes for a lockeroom --- and most of it is good-natured.

But you also have to have the good sense to keep it in-house at times. Ingram traded writing how "Dwight Howard pulled me aside" in exchange for embarrassing a colleague and weakening the credibility of Hoops World, a basketball Website I have respected because of Steve Kyler.

What? Seriously? I don't think Ingram was intending to offend anyone. What a joke. Can we fire this guy? Seriously, can we petition the Sentinel? Or the mayor? Or anyone?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2009/01/cheap-shot-by-h.html

This guy is the worst reporter I have ever seen. Seriously, he is just awful. Read this:

quote:
I don't want to say that pro athletes are pampered these days, but when the Magic were playing in Minneapolis, they took a bus from their hotel to the arena. . . . .that was around the corner. Across the street. I mean, Stan Van Gundy could have stayed in his room and yelled instructions to them.

Ok, first of all, there aren't any hotels THAT close to the Target Center. There just aren't. Second, it was a whopping 15 degrees that day, with a windchill that was painful. It was absolutely freezing. Third, Minneapolis isn't exactly the safest city. He wants our players walking down the street in downtown? Not to mention the gear they had to carry. Yep, they're just pampered. (Schmitz goes on to say that he took the Skyway. So in other words, you just wanted to fill space and use a recycled joke.)

But this is the part that made me disgusted:

quote:
Well, I can only hope that Bill Ingram of Hoops World has skin as thick as rawhide. We'll see how he likes being embarrassed.

Writes Ingram: "I was in Orlando covering a game last season and Dwight Howard pulled me aside as if he has some big secret to share. He asked me if I had seen the movie "Back To The Future," which of course I have. He then pointed at a member of the Magic media corps. Nothing else had to be said. I couldn't help but join Dwight in laughing hysterically, as the person he had pointed out had crazy flowing white hair - just like the character "Doc Brown" from the movie.

That's one example of the carefree, funloving atmosphere you find in Orlando, though I could give many others."

Why didn't he then? All the barbs being tossed in that dressing room by teammates on other teammates would have really reflected the "fun-loving atmosphere" wouldn't it? Afraid the players wouldn't like it, Ingram?

Here, Ingram, let me help you out: Jameer Nelson calling Anthony Johnson "no neck" and mocking him by pulling up his collar to his ears. Howard telling Keith Bogans he needs lotion on his "ashen head." Nelson poking fun at Hedo Turkoglu's stomach pooch. Bogans saying he can't pry the ball from Turkoglu's hands for shots. Howard imitating GM Otis Smith's walk.

But in an effort to suck up to Howard, jock-sniffing Ingram denigrates a long-standing member of the Magic media and a friend of mine unnecessarily.

Howard zings everybody --- sometimes going overboard in a comedy club that passes for a lockeroom --- and most of it is good-natured.

But you also have to have the good sense to keep it in-house at times. Ingram traded writing how "Dwight Howard pulled me aside" in exchange for embarrassing a colleague and weakening the credibility of Hoops World, a basketball Website I have respected because of Steve Kyler.

What? Seriously? I don't think Ingram was intending to offend anyone. What a joke. Can we fire this guy? Seriously, can we petition the Sentinel? Or the mayor? Or anyone?

I happened to be online about the time he posted it...I was shocked...I sent a link to Steve...don't know where Kyler is since it is New Years day.

Hey Rev, I'm not trying to make fun of anybody and Dwight was obviously just having fun but,...any idea whom the Sentinel reporter was they were teasing?

Wow, what a joke. I didn't realize that saying someone looked like Doc Brown was considered embarrassing him. Especially since the man Dwight referred to was never mentioned by name or even what paper he was affilitated with.

Schmitz has embarrassed one person and one person only with this blog and that is himself. He is a disgrace to the rest of the media. He now posts incendiary blogs with the sole purpose of generating web hits (and it worked because like an idiot I clicked on the link).

Potvak gets fired and they keep this clown around. Thank God for Denton.

now BS has offended me my saying that someone that looks like the great American thespian, Christopher Lloyd, has been embarassed. BS should be ashamed of himself and now owes Doc Brown an apology.

Seriously, did this guy from hoopsworld run over his dog or something?

Wouldn't a guy who has long, flowing grey hair kind of realize he looks silly? I mean, he clearly isn't Fabio, or even JJ. Man, this guy is such a joke.

I was wondering what ever happened to Povtak. What's the story behind that one? Was he really fired? I liked his post-game reports. I like Denton too but he doesn't post much of anything to speak of.

From Steve Kyler in his Morning Report...

quote:

Misunderstood: Rarely do I encourage swinging at a pitch in the dirt, but in this particular instance, I feel it's necessary. This week our own Bill Ingram ran a piece talking about the Orlando Magic's reluctance to trigger a trade. In this piece, Bill goes on to give an example of a locker room chemistry that is truly uncanny in NBA circles, and shares a story about Dwight Howard and how he makes fun of virtually everyone, almost all the time. Now, the Orlando Sentinel's Brian Schmitz took exception to that story on a couple of fronts, namely Brian saw the story as a- sucking up to Dwight and b- making fun of a long standing and hard working member of the Magic media group. While Bill's intension was neither, it just comes off that way. So let me be clear for both parties, because they are both good friends of mine and are people that have a lot of mutual respect for each other. The Orlando Magic have a very unique chemistry, most of that is fueled by Dwight who requires the Magic locker room to be more like a high school cafeteria

Tony Battier ?!?!?

Good post, though.

Kyler took the high road on this one, which is a road that Brian Schmitz has never seen or even looked for.

I admit that I was one of the respondents to Schmitz's blog.