Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

improbable trade idea(we all have 'em)

i was reading the rumor mill this morning and i came across the UTAH stories. we are all aware that boozer is going to opt out of his contract...but, he said himself he will chase the money and he prefers to stay with UTAH. apparently the jazz owner is reluctant to go into the lux. tax area. his big problem is that now deron is entering max contract area starting next year, putting them at the threshold. they are in a tough situation because they would have to let boozer walk for nothing in order to stay below the limit. to make matters worse, millsap is due a fat raise next season(he is making 757K now). basically they wont be able to keep both. they are quoted as wanting to keep millsap, however, they have another big that could very well opt out over the summer: okur. if they are really in cost-limiting mode, we may be able to rent okur much like LAC did for camby. i dont know if there would be a player that would fit SVG's plans better than okur. a legit big that can move, rebound, foul hard, and hit the 3...as well as ft's. it would be a rental more or less, but we would retain his bird rights and take a good look and see if hes worth going into the lux. limit for.

personally, a lineup that looks like dwight, okur, shard, pietrus, and jameer with turk as a sixth man sounds like a championship team to me-well worth the lux tax money. we would only have to give them 8mil in salaries to make it work...would cook take a buy out from utah if he got traded along with bogans, and someone else to make it work? we could throw in our 1st rounder to sweeten the pot, because we can use our TE to buy a better pick at draft time than what we would have normally anyway. what do you guys think? you think that otis is this savvy?

i was reading the rumor mill this morning and i came across the UTAH stories. we are all aware that boozer is going to opt out of his contract...but, he said himself he will chase the money and he prefers to stay with UTAH. apparently the jazz owner is reluctant to go into the lux. tax area. his big problem is that now deron is entering max contract area starting next year, putting them at the threshold. they are in a tough situation because they would have to let boozer walk for nothing in order to stay below the limit. to make matters worse, millsap is due a fat raise next season(he is making 757K now). basically they wont be able to keep both. they are quoted as wanting to keep millsap, however, they have another big that could very well opt out over the summer: okur. if they are really in cost-limiting mode, we may be able to rent okur much like LAC did for camby. i dont know if there would be a player that would fit SVG's plans better than okur. a legit big that can move, rebound, foul hard, and hit the 3...as well as ft's. it would be a rental more or less, but we would retain his bird rights and take a good look and see if hes worth going into the lux. limit for.

personally, a lineup that looks like dwight, okur, shard, pietrus, and jameer with turk as a sixth man sounds like a championship team to me-well worth the lux tax money. we would only have to give them 8mil in salaries to make it work...would cook take a buy out from utah if he got traded along with bogans, and someone else to make it work? we could throw in our 1st rounder to sweeten the pot, because we can use our TE to buy a better pick at draft time than what we would have normally anyway. what do you guys think? you think that otis is this savvy?

although i already said it was improbable, they would want him because he has an expiring contract that would allow them to resign millsap.

do i really have to spell it out for everyone? actually, i thought i did when i said we would trade expirings for him...

edit: besides, i think i heard somewhere that utah likes perimeter players that can shoot and play a little D...

I get that, but you're arguing against yourself.

Your argument is that if Okur opts out, Utah will be tempted to let him go because of luxury tax issues. That's all well in good, but that gives them zero incentive to take on new salary to replace him, and if they were to trade him for parts, they'd only be able to shed at most 1.8m, and that's assuming he opted out and then resigned for his same contract(doubtful to say the very least). If Utah's primary concern really was cutting salary, they'd let Okur walk and call it a day.

You've also provided zero reason why Utah would be willing to give up Mehmet Okur for Keith Bogans/Brian Cook/and filler. Bogans would be 3rd string at best on that team, and Cook would never get off the bench. Our late first round pick isn't that much incentive.

my thought is that if they were going to lose okur for nothing anyway, then getting rid of him for expiring deals/and a future pick would net them an asset for the future. granted a late first isnt great, but they could spend that on a prospect, send him away and hope he becomes a solid player. i am certain that bogans could fight with korver/miles and atleast provide a little competition for the backup spots for the 3-4 months he would be on the roster before he became a FA. as far as cook goes, one mans trash could be another man's treasure. perhaps they would like a shooting big since they would be losing their best shooting big they have. i was assuming that a buyout would possibly ensue, but like the title of the thread says, its improbable anyway.

if you are going to lose a player than is very productive for nothing, would you try to save face and get a future pick for him if nothing else?

thats the question.

I think the other aspect to this discussion is that, if Okur is on the trading block, other teams will be able to make offers that are superior to what the Magic can offer.

We don't have high draft picks to offer, and we don't have any perceived talent outside of our top 3-5 players.

So, while the Jazz might consider doing something like this if it was their only option, I'm sure that it WON'T be their only option.

Which, I'm sure, is part of the reason you labeled this as improbable.