Sign in to follow this  
Brian_Cook_Phan

I can't wait for the trade deadline

Precisely Echo.

There aren't too many teams out there willing to deal a piece that they value highly. We have pieces we are underutilizing that deserve a better opportunity elsewhere, and the same is true of the players that we should be targeting.

Nick Collison IMO is exactly the player we need and can go out and get.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

A year ago I would have been all about this guy. Now he is struggling to get minutes behind guys like Wilcox and Petro which makes me skeptical. I still would be ok with this trade because we need frontcourt help but he wouldn't be my first choice in a dream scenario.

Honestly, that's exactly why I would like to grab him. It's not like his abilities have disappeared. He's just on a really bad team that is stacked with PFs, and truthfully, Collison is probably frustrated that despite being top 20 in PER among PFs the last two years, management and coaching can't seem to commit to giving him a guaranteed role with the team.

He's an affordable, good character, hard working player that is obtainable.

He would be a great compliment to our roster, while hopefuly being hungry enough to prove his critics wrong.

It definitely helps our chances of acquiring him. That's what it takes to acquire a relatively young big man in the middle of the season.

My biggest concern is he doesn't seem to be that motivated when he isn't getting the minutes. Petro played much much harder than him when the Magic played them. Wilcox is a notorious coaster and he is playing ahead of him as well. If we acquired him he wouldn't be getting 28 minutes a game here either. Would he play with fire or just coast?

I guess I shouldn't overlook the fact that he is playing on a gawd awful team. That would have an effect on anybody with an ounce of competitiveness.

If Dwight's injury doesn't wake Otis up, I don't know what will. I'm almost scared that since Gortat grabbed 4 rebounds and had 4 blocks the other night, Otis doesn't see this as a priority anymore.

At this point I think we will see "Magic Sign Dwayne Jones" before we see a trade go down.

quote:

My biggest concern is he doesn't seem to be that motivated when he isn't getting the minutes.

He's still their leading rebounder.

quote:

I guess I shouldn't overlook the fact that he is playing on a gawd awful team. That would have an effect on anybody with an ounce of competitiveness.

Like I've said before, I'm not sold on this guy (altough I admit that I haven't seen a lot of his games), but as you said, playing in OKC didn't help him.

He also has three more years, so he isn't in a rush for a contract extension and seem a little disinterested.

This is not a good sign in term of character, but on the other side, being traded to a very good team which featured Dwight would surely raise up motivations in every player of the league not named Fran...

quote:

quote:

My biggest concern is he doesn't seem to be that motivated when he isn't getting the minutes.

Yes, but that really isn't saying much. He is averaging 6 rebounds a game. Granted its in rather limited minutes.

Maybe the more important question is why is Oklahoma's leading rebounder only getting 24 minutes a game? Is there something else there that we aren't seeing?

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

At this point I think we will see "Magic Sign Dwayne Jones" before we see a trade go down.

I would be fine with that too if I thought that Jones would ever make it off the DNP list.

A capsulated view of our frontcourt:

Superman - but he's injured right now and will continue to take beating after beating

Shard - a SF playing out of position that has held his own but is far from physical and not much of a rebounder

Cook - a marshmellow of a man that chucks up shots every time he touches the ball. Hot right now but could just as easily turn frigid.

Battie - an aging, injury prone professional on the downside of his career that is only capable of giving us 20-25mpg

Gortat - still unproven and untrusted big man with potential that will bolt outta here the first chance he gets to grab significant playing time and contract

*** So which one of these guys is supposed to take the pressure off of Dwight or get his back when play gets even more physical in the postseason?

quote:

quote:

I think its fair to say that Otis is addressing the needs this team has just not at the speed that most fans would prefer.

This is now our 2nd season with the same need though.

Once we let Darko walk that need was apparent, and should have been addressed in less than 2 seasons.

That is part of what is so maddening about this. What else do you need to see to know that we need board help? Last year we had the leading rebounder in the league yet we ranked 13th in overall rebounding. Last year we were #5 in defensive rebounding but, 28th in offensive boards and 13th in what we allow on the offensive glass at 11 a game, and those are 2nd chance pts. In the Det series we were slightly better at 10.4. The top teams in the league during the playoffs last year were at 9.5 and 9.6, how much difference could an extra possession or 2 have made in the Det series?

This year we are 27th on the offensive boards, 20th in what we give up on the offensive glass, and 14 over all. That is with Tony who was supposed to be the answer to our prayers on the glass.

If Dwight gets into foul trouble or as we've just seen gets hurt, we get killed on the glass all together, that was the only thing keeping Utah in that game against us. What more needs to be seen here? Does a vision of Dennis Rodman need to appear on Otis's toast in the morning? There is nothing to evaluate, we need help on the glass.

quote:

Yes, but that really isn't saying much. He is averaging 6 rebounds a game. Granted its in rather limited minutes.

Maybe the more important question is why is Oklahoma's leading rebounder only getting 24 minutes a game? Is there something else there that we aren't seeing?

As I told Kyler last week...shouldn't we judge him based upon his production over the last three seasons and not the first 20 games of yet another disappointing season on the worst team in the league?

It's not like he's old and washed up. he's still rather young and gets paid little for what he produces.

I can't remeber the exact figures, but I ran some calculations last year, and he provided the 2nd most rebounds in the league per minute per dollar paid, behind I think Reggie Evans.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think they need more offense out of the 4 which is why Wilcox gets the mins.

quote:

I would be fine with that too if I thought that Jones would ever make it off the DNP list.

That's the problem, our system right now is not supposed to take the pressure off Dwight.

quote:

*** So which one of these guys is supposed to take the pressure off of Dwight or get his back when play gets even more physical in the postseason?

IMO, the only one could be Marcin if we finally trust him and he's able to raise up his game in regular season.

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

IMO, the only one could be Marcin if we finally trust him and he's able to raise up his game in regular season.

At least every time he sees the floor he proves that he deserves a larger role.