Sign in to follow this  
Strepsil

What About 2010 ??

I think when referring to being unsuccessful, people mean what Otis HASN'T done (not what he HAS, which as you listed, is terrific) regarding his lack of moves in the off-season, especially when other teams were making moves, we were just sitting here watching some boats go by.

Which we're STILL doing!

GO GET US A POINT!

quote:
Originally posted by NJ_MagicFan:

I think when referring to being unsuccessful, people mean what Otis HASN'T done (not what he HAS, which as you listed, is terrific) regarding his lack of moves in the off-season, especially when other teams were making moves, we were just sitting here watching some boats go by.

Which we're STILL doing!

GO GET US A POINT!

But what people don't think about is that not making moves doesn't make a bad GM...trading Pau Gasol for scrubs makes a bad GM. One sided trades are not the effect of having a great GM, it is the because a GM is bad and the other GM, in the case the Laker's, is a lucky one. Otis hasn't gotten lucky yet and frankly, I'm fine with that as long as we keep winning

I completely agree, but I was just stating that there's an obvious hole in our armor, and it's been there for quite some time, and during the times when teams were making trades and moves, Otis wasn't. It's only based on that fact. We need a solid Point, and it just seems like it's been nursed for a while...

BUT you're right, better wait on something to pop up that can benefit rather than force something -- but at the same time, God Forbid Jameer gets hurt in a playoff run, and we're back to going into top-notch games with uncertainty in our line-up and questionability for winning the game.

I would say it's vital for the future success of this team that we get this Point added asap.

NJ_MagicFan, what are you're thoughts on Courtney Lee becoming the third point guard? I mean he'll probably lose all his playing time with the return of Pietrus so he will just be waiting for an injury to occur

Kramer, the name's Drew, so feel free to call me by that!

As far as Lee goes, I think he is developing as we speak. His past few showings have been solid for where he is right now, but you've gotta look at it this way:

If we make a good run, say ECF, this year, and Jameer gets injured, are you comfortable with either A.J. or Lee LEADING THIS TEAM and running the court? Granted, Lee might develop extremely quickly and play top-caliber by then, but that might be a bit of a push from where he is now, don't you think? And A.J. is a veteran, but he doesn't have the steam and assist power that we need from a point. And to be totally honest, Jameer needs to focus more on his main goal as a point guard: ASSISTS, NOT scoring (although it is great that he's had good scoring showings since he's been back from injury). You can score big numbers as a point, but his main objective is to feed the ball, drive and kick out, create possessions, etc... Nash has high-scoring games, but he'll also give you 10+ dimes.

That's why I think we need to get a well-seasoned point as soon as we can.

quote:
Originally posted by DontPushMe:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

All I have to say is if the Lakers can trade left overs for Pau Gasol, so can the Magic.

Remember, Otis convinced the Knicks to take Steve Francis. Otis is becoming the most underrated GM in the NBA.

Only time will tell.

Otis made that ONE good move (beating isiah thomas is something to be proud of) and has apparently made a career out of it. Look at everything else he has done besides that, its been one mistake after another.

Drafting Lee and signing Pietrus seem to be good moves but only time will tell there. Lee was the pick everyone had us taking, and even in the Pietrus thing he originally wanted Duhon, so its hard to give him a ton of credit for falling backwards into those moves.

Exactly my point why he is so under rated. People like you magnifying the bad and not acknowledging the good. Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Post Shaq:

Otis Smith: 52 wins Magic reached second round.

Before Otis: Most wins 45 in 1997. Never reached second round.

Otis Smith: Keep up the GREAT JOB!!!

Go Otis!! GO MAGIC!!!

Welcome to our friend from France. Who's your football team?

As far as the otis argument, he's got a plan and a theory for how to build this team. Shooting, chemistry, role players and staying under the luxury tax. Will it win a title? Who knows, but the results so far make me want to give him a shot.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Well to list his successful moves:

The resigning of Jameer Nelson for next to nothing , the resigning of Dwight Howard, the signing of Rashard Lewis , the faith he placed in Turkoglu paying off, the drafting of Courtney Lee, the signing of Pietrus, stealing Van Gundy from the Kings, and making a team that isn't only going to win 55+ games, but will have a core intact for at least 4 seasons. Successful? I'd say so

yeah... btw, i just saw elvis on the petrol station

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Well to list his successful moves:

The resigning of Jameer Nelson for next to nothing , the resigning of Dwight Howard, the signing of Rashard Lewis , the faith he placed in Turkoglu paying off, the drafting of Courtney Lee, the signing of Pietrus, stealing Van Gundy from the Kings, and making a team that isn't only going to win 55+ games, but will have a core intact for at least 4 seasons. Successful? I'd say so

yeah... btw, i just saw elvis on the petrol station

No one will claim that Otis shouldn't have waited on that extension, but it would be very difficult to argue right now that Jameer's play this year isn't worth the 5.55m he's making.