SmackDaddy

Remaining trades:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

I know its too early to tell, but I think sooner or later,Portland will have a lot of trouble keeping heir core together. Sure they have 12 million expiring contract but would they be willing enough to go over the cap and offer guys like Oden the max when their contract is up?

Their owner, Paul Allen is the co-founder of Microsoft, he owns the Seahawks, and 2 of the biggest yachts in the world, each worth about as much as a small market franchise. No worries.

I agree with Fendi's point, if not his reasoning. I would guess that at some point a low talent team is going to offer a player like Aldridge a ridiculous deal thinking that he can be a first banana for them, and then the Blazers are going to have serious problems keeping players together without giving out very large contracts to non-allstars.

Do you remember the team Portland had in the 90's? They had the equivelent of 2 starting lineups, Jermaine O'Neal as 12th man, and the largest payroll in the league for nearly a decade.

It appears to me that they are recreating that.

quote:

Smack, you should ask our mutual friend about a certain Magic scouts opinion of Prichard, & Gabe's role in the building of that team. Interesting.

IMO, that certain Magic scout is a complete bufoon. His opinion on matters was reduced to somewhere between slightly insignificant and entirely irrelevant when he said that the Magic had no need for another big man on last year's roster with Battie coming back this year. (That was right before the Cook trade, where that particular scout backpeddled saying that Cook is exactly the type of big man that this team needed.)

Frankly, there isn't a person on this planet that can make an intelligent arguement against Portland's management being the best in the league and that includes the mastermind that is John Gabriel.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Smack, you should ask our mutual friend about a certain Magic scouts opinion of Prichard, & Gabe's role in the building of that team. Interesting.

IMO, that certain Magic scout is a complete bufoon. His opinion on matters was reduced to somewhere between slightly insignificant and entirely irrelevant when he said that the Magic had no need for another big man on last year's roster with Battie coming back this year. (That was right before the Cook trade, where that particular scout backpeddled saying that Cook is exactly the type of big man that this team needed.)

Frankly, there isn't a person on this planet that can make an intelligent arguement against Portland's management being the best in the league and that includes the mastermind that is John Gabriel.

lol, eazy breazing. Life is a little easier with unlimited resources, but nobody was criticizing KP, only crediting JG.

quote:

lol, eazy breazing. Life is a little easier with unlimited resources, but nobody was criticizing KP, only crediting JG.

Not sure I'm following you. Translation please.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

I agree, KP has done a wonderful job with the Blazers. I think KP best move was when he traded Telfair and Ratliff to the Celtics for the 7th pick, and drafted Foye, and then turnaround and traded Foye to the T-Wolves for Brandon Roy. KP second best move would have to be the Tyrus Thomas for LaMarcus Aldridge trade.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

I know its too early to tell, but I think sooner or later,Portland will have a lot of trouble keeping heir core together. Sure they have 12 million expiring contract but would they be willing enough to go over the cap and offer guys like Oden the max when their contract is up?

Their owner, Paul Allen is the co-founder of Microsoft, he owns the Seahawks, and 2 of the biggest yachts in the world, each worth about as much as a small market franchise. No worries.

I agree with Fendi's point, if not his reasoning. I would guess that at some point a low talent team is going to offer a player like Aldridge a ridiculous deal thinking that he can be a first banana for them, and then the Blazers are going to have serious problems keeping players together without giving out very large contracts to non-allstars.

nobody's going to touch portland's talents. nobody will offer them as much money as portland can and will if necessary. oden, aldridge, roy aren't going anywhere. they'd be stupid if they lose batum and rudy, bayless and webster will only leave if somebody offers them a huge deal. portland has (one of) the best ownership, the best GM (and it's not even close), the best young coach and a very talented young team where everybody fits in perfectly. they just need to find a PG. i can see a boring dynasty coming. only injuries can stop them.