Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Rondo Responds Well From Payton's Remarks

quote:
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo has been playing tremendously as of late, in the wake of comments made by former NBA point guard Gary Payton.

Payton compared Rondo to players who ride superstars to rings, while doing little more than waving towels from the bench.

"I respect the man's game, I'm just saying, man, he got put into a situation," Payton said in November.

Rondo endured a horrific 5-for-24 shooting span over three games that started just before Payton's remarks.

"He's been playing well. Ever since Gary Payton been hating on him, he's been playing great," teammate Kendrick Perkins said. "But that's Rondo. We know what he could do. Now he's just really starting to show it."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55838/20081206/r...rom_paytons_remarks/

GP I know you're better than this. Rondo is one of the best PG in the eastern conference, and one of the most underrated player in the league.

quote:
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo has been playing tremendously as of late, in the wake of comments made by former NBA point guard Gary Payton.

Payton compared Rondo to players who ride superstars to rings, while doing little more than waving towels from the bench.

"I respect the man's game, I'm just saying, man, he got put into a situation," Payton said in November.

Rondo endured a horrific 5-for-24 shooting span over three games that started just before Payton's remarks.

"He's been playing well. Ever since Gary Payton been hating on him, he's been playing great," teammate Kendrick Perkins said. "But that's Rondo. We know what he could do. Now he's just really starting to show it."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55838/20081206/r...rom_paytons_remarks/

GP I know you're better than this. Rondo is one of the best PG in the eastern conference, and one of the most underrated player in the league.

wow, GP is officially hater of the year. If Rondo is riding coat tails to rings then what was GP doing at the end of his career? He sure enough wasnt good enough to get a ring on his own or with Kemp. I just lost alot of respect for that man.

quote:
Originally posted by InsideoutO:

wow, GP is officially hater of the year. If Rondo is riding coat tails to rings then what was GP doing at the end of his career? He sure enough wasnt good enough to get a ring on his own or with Kemp. I just lost alot of respect for that man.

What Payton did is more similar to what Cassell did last year. Not saying that Rondo is not deserving, but having Garnett/Pierce/Allen on your team does put you in a better position that most young PGs in this league.

Rondo is a better than average point guard, but the point Payton made was completely valid.

Rondo is in a situation where nothing is asked of him, and no team in the league will spend more than 90 seconds game planning for him. Any positive contribution Rondo makes is gravy, and that's it.

Switch Rondo and, lets say Andre Miller, and Rondo would be averaging about 13/5. More points, far fewer assists, and the offense would be stagnant.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Rondo is a better than average point guard, but the point Payton made was completely valid.

Rondo is in a situation where nothing is asked of him, and no team in the league will spend more than 90 seconds game planning for him. Any positive contribution Rondo makes is gravy, and that's it.

Switch Rondo and, lets say Andre Miller, and Rondo would be averaging about 13/5. More points, far fewer assists, and the offense would be stagnant.

Are you sure about that? Doc Rivers relies on Rondo defense, and his abilty to penetrate, and kick out to the open man, and I must add that he's one the best rebounding guards in the league. I think that alot to ask out of your PG.

quote:
Switch Rondo and, lets say Andre Miller

So your saying that the Celtics, would've won a championship, with Andre Miller last season? I don't think so. Rondo played a big part for the Celtics in the finals.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Are you sure about that? Doc Rivers relies on Rondo defense, and his abilty to penetrate, and kick out to the open man, and I must add that he's one the best rebounding guards in the league. I think that alot to ask out of your PG.

quote:
Switch Rondo and, lets say Andre Miller

So your saying that the Celtics, would've won a championship, with Andre Miller last season? I don't think so. Rondo played a big part for the Celtics in the finals.

There's a difference between being asked to do something and doing it. Rondo is a good, albeit rapidly becoming ridiculously overrated, defender. That doesn't mean the team would die if he were a mediocre defender. In other words, his defense isn't something that's really relied on, which was my entire point. Ditto for his rebounding.

And as far as his penetration goes, he's about the 3rd best penetrater on his team. Again, it's nice, but not what they rely on.

As for your second point, no, I wasn't saying that, you know I wasn't saying that(since I'm assuming you have at least 3rd grade reading comprehension levels), and your effort to attribute something to me and attack it is juvenile at best and downright stupid at worst.

I was saying that if Rondo was in a situation where teams were gameplanning against him specifically and not treating him as an afterthought, his game would suffer and he'd get exposed for being a very limited offensive player who takes too many risks on defense. Much like what's happened to Andre Miller this season.

To answer your assertion, or rather the assertion you attributed to me, no, they wouldn't have won a title with Miller, because nothing about Miller's game would've fit the Celtics identity on either side of the ball. But if you took a player of equal talent to Miller, but who had a skill set that better fit the Celtics, someone like Brian Shaw with better defense, then that Finals ends up more lopsided than it already was.

quote:
There's a difference between being asked to do something and doing it.

So Doc Rivers isn't asking Rondo to do these things?

quote:
and your effort to attribute something to me and attack it is juvenile

Look who's talking, that what you're known for buddy.