Sign in to follow this  
jack l j

what about ariza

quote:
Originally posted by Luke_FfS:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

No, I just don't think any of them will ever be all-stars. Hell, none of them are even in the top 3 players on their own teams. And since this board is entirely too predictable:

Memphis: Gay, Mayo, Conley

Milwaukee: Jefferson, Redd, Bogut

Portland: Roy, Aldridge, Oden

Agree with the concept, corrected one name.

Whoops! Thanks for the pickup. It's corrected.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
there isn't a single player out of that draft who looks like they'll ever be an allstar, and yet probably a solid half of the players in those two rounds are in their team's rotations. It's bizarre.

I guess you haven't hear of Rudy Fernandez, Ramon Sessions, and Marc Gasol.

No, I just don't think any of them will ever be all-stars. Hell, none of them are even in the top 3 players on their own teams. And since this board is entirely too predictable:

Memphis: Gay, Mayo, Conley

Portland: Roy, Aldridge, Oden

Memphis: Gay, Mayo, Gasol

Portland: Roy, Aldridge, Fernandez

Conley isn't even the best PG on the Grizz, and we haven't seen Oden play a full game since college.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Or is it that they continue to hire folks that line up perfectly with their philosophies, thus only changing the faces of the franchise as opposed to its methodologies?

I have long held the belief that the Magic troubles are upper level management/ownership.

It's the way SVG coach's and that is not going to change. I read where he is considered old school coach in the NBA. Meaning other teams get their younger players involved in the game, not just relying on the established NBA players as SVG does.

Drunk It was well known that the 07 draft was the prize of the last 20 years. Oden was the jack pot (although he has been injured) and you had two classes years players coming out since high schoolers werent allowed to enter the nba. We traded a pick in a the deepest draft in 20 years and a 10 million buck slot (which could have signed a top tier free agent) for darko and then let him go.

As for jameer I fail to see the reason in locking him in to a long term deal early when he is under sized, cant shoot, bad shot selection, poor distributor, horrible defense point guard who never pushes the ball up court. Ill give him credit for the toronto series where he was good but in general he is not a starting pg and wouldnt start on over half the teams in the nba which makes me wonder why he is a long term guy...a al pat garrity.

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

Drunk It was well known that the 07 draft was the prize of the last 20 years. Oden was the jack pot (although he has been injured) and you had two classes years players coming out since high schoolers werent allowed to enter the nba.

The 2003 draft class laughs at this statement.

The '07 class was remarkably deep in mid-level talent but had little on the front end or back end. That's what I found so interesting about it. There were only 1 or 2 all-star caliber players, but there weren't very many out right failures either.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Or is it that they continue to hire folks that line up perfectly with their philosophies, thus only changing the faces of the franchise as opposed to its methodologies?

I have long held the belief that the Magic troubles are upper level management/ownership.

It's the way SVG coach's and that is not going to change. I read where he is considered old school coach in the NBA. Meaning other teams get their younger players involved in the game, not just relying on the established NBA players as SVG does.

It has nothing to do with SVG. It has to do with the decisions of the upper echelon of management. They set the tone. The Magic Organization is a reflection of them, it is now, and it has always been.

We got lucky enough to get the top draft pick two years in a row, and STILL couldn't win a title. That had nothing to do with SVG. We have squandered pics, talent, cash, nothing to do with SVG.

You may not like Otis, but I will say that Otis is not the problem. Remove Otis, and some other former player, nice guy, with ties to the team/family will take his place. It's the prevailing culture of the Organization that is at fault.

Until that changes, the Magic will be what they have always been... a team of nice guys who compete, sometimes enough to get your hopes up, sometimes not, but most likely not in serious contention for a title any time soon.

Man guys,the management is the one to blame here..They have been horrid over the last 10 years or so..I just brought this up on realgm.. Here are somethings that will never cease to amaze me..

Keyon Dooling and Corey Maggette & Cash for A future first from the Clippers..

Releasing Ron Mercer and Chauncy Billups, whilst trading Ben wallace for an injured Grant Hill..

Trading Mobley(Our best players BEST friend and main reason our team was even okay.) for Doug Christie.

Trading Ariza for an overweight shooting PF and an expiring SG..(When everyone knew Ariza could be special)

Trading Gooden and Verajo for Battie.

Trading Miller for Gooden.(At the time, T-mac said if Miller was ever traded he would highly consider retiring and playing basketball..)

Not to mention there are SOOO many more..This management has been carried by the first overall draft picks they have had..Dwight,Shaq,Penny...... It's quite pathetic how this front office has screwed up soo many times.

The one thing that never leave my mind (Even though hind sight is 20/20)

Billups

Mac

Miller

Duncan(Could have offered more money without Ghill)

Ben Wallace

Bench, Atkins,Mercer and so on..Not to mention Maggette still could havebeen here..UGH, oh well..

quote:
Originally posted by magicfanejc42:

Man guys,the management is the one to blame here..They have been horrid over the last 10 years or so..I just brought this up on realgm.. Here are somethings that will never cease to amaze me..

Releasing Ron Mercer and Chauncy Billups, whilst trading Ben wallace for an injured Grant Hill..

Trading Mobley(Our best players BEST friend and main reason our team was even okay.) for Doug Christie.

Trading Ariza for an overweight shooting PF and an expiring SG..(When everyone knew Ariza could be special)

Trading Miller for Gooden.(At the time, T-mac said if Miller was ever traded he would highly consider retiring and playing basketball..)

Not to mention there are SOOO many more..This management has been carried by the first overall draft picks they have had..Dwight,Shaq,Penny...... It's quite pathetic how this front office has screwed up soo many times.

Billups

Mac

Miller

Ben Wallace

Bench, Atkins,Mercer and so on..Not to mention Maggette still could havebeen here..UGH, oh well..

I can't see faulting them for the G.Hill beginning. It was a great idea to go after Hill, Duncan, and T-Mac. Hind sight is 20/20, but at the time, that was a good move.

My issue if more about the type of player they look for, the type of good-guy attitude that reflects well on the face of the organization, but always seems to be more nice guy than tough guy on the court.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfanejc42:

Billups

Mac

Miller

Ben Wallace

There's a whole lot of ignorance in this post. For starters, we offered Duncan a max deal and he didn't take it. We couldn't have offered him more than we did, because the salary CAP didn't allow it.

Also, a huge number of the blunders you're accusing the team of are only blunders in retrospect. No one realized Grant Hill's injury would sideline him forever.

Miller was traded because the team had to fill holes, and he was the team's only tradable piece.

Maggette was traded because the team wanted CAP space. That should be obvious.

quote:
Originally posted by hilltopper06:

It is not a coincidence that players get better away from Orlando than when they are here. We do not develop bench players or give them consistent PT, so it is no surprise that the ones with any talent flourish elsewhere.

And J.J. Redick'll be next.

By the way, they sure do seem to be using a guy by the name of Keyon Dooling the RIGHT way in New Jersey, aren't they..

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

By the way, they sure do seem to be using a guy by the name of Keyon Dooling the RIGHT way in New Jersey, aren't they..

Only if you judge by just the last two games. Before that he was mostly awful, and shooting like 27%.