Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

JJ and Lee can't crack Van Gundy's rotation - Schmitz

In Stan's world, it's late April or May, and spring has sprung.

The Orlando Magic have played only five games, but the coach seemingly is using his playoff rotation before the Thanksgiving bird is in the freezer.

As if the rotation couldn't get any tighter, Van Gundy played just eight men against the Philadelphia 76ers on Thursday night. Until further notice, he'll stay with eight -- something he never did last season, his first year in Orlando.

"I don't think we're anywhere near set in stone, only because there's some guys not in our rotation that can really help us," he said. "Hopefully, it will be a situation where guys [starters] will feel the heat a little bit behind them and not get too comfortable."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic0808nov08,0,7136417.story

I think SVG is making a statement to the guys...

It's up to you to win cause no ones gonna bail you out.

By playing the best 8 gives us a better chance of winning but it could be dangerous and risky.

In Stan's world, it's late April or May, and spring has sprung.

The Orlando Magic have played only five games, but the coach seemingly is using his playoff rotation before the Thanksgiving bird is in the freezer.

As if the rotation couldn't get any tighter, Van Gundy played just eight men against the Philadelphia 76ers on Thursday night. Until further notice, he'll stay with eight -- something he never did last season, his first year in Orlando.

"I don't think we're anywhere near set in stone, only because there's some guys not in our rotation that can really help us," he said. "Hopefully, it will be a situation where guys [starters] will feel the heat a little bit behind them and not get too comfortable."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic0808nov08,0,7136417.story

I think SVG is making a statement to the guys...

It's up to you to win cause no ones gonna bail you out.

By playing the best 8 gives us a better chance of winning but it could be dangerous and risky.

I generally like SVG's coaching. For example, I think the defensive plan they drew up for Elton Brand was very well thought out and executed. But, this team has to figure out how to develop its bench and the only way to do that is to close out games. Brian Cook can never get off the bench for all I care, but I think JJ, CLee and Marcin need 5-10 minutes of playing time a game. All three, particularly JJ and Lee are suffering because they are overthinking and forcing their play when they get in. If Stan can cut out a 5-8 minute slot each game where they know they will play, a la Foyle last year, I think we'll see both of them thrive because of the consistency of that. That said, it looks like Stan is going to keep playing 8 until we can win games more comfortably.

Eh at this point I can see what he's doing. The team has had a consistent problem in closing teams out so he is going to get as much practice in for the starters and rotation guys. I am fine with that but I would love for at some point, Lee to see the floor in some consectutive games because I think his skill set is similar to that of Rodney Stuckey and having that off the bench would give us a scoring kick to go along with solid defensive role players

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell_Armstrong:

I generally like SVG's coaching. For example, I think the defensive plan they drew up for Elton Brand was very well thought out and executed. But, this team has to figure out how to develop its bench and the only way to do that is to close out games. Brian Cook can never get off the bench for all I care, but I think JJ, CLee and Marcin need 5-10 minutes of playing time a game. All three, particularly JJ and Lee are suffering because they are overthinking and forcing their play when they get in. If Stan can cut out a 5-8 minute slot each game where they know they will play, a la Foyle last year, I think we'll see both of them thrive because of the consistency of that. That said, it looks like Stan is going to keep playing 8 until we can win games more comfortably.

The only way SVG changes his lineup is when a player like Bogans goes cold and yes we all saw that happen last season that is when Evans took over his slot.

Well at the the way SVG is coaching it sounds like Lee will follow Redick. I feel sorry for Lee he has a great feel for the game, but is being coached by a coach who doesn't believe in using all of his players.

Can we say burnout before the end of the season. No wonder the Magic have nothing left for the second round of the playoffs.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell_Armstrong:

The only way SVG changes his lineup is when a player like Bogans goes cold and yes we all saw that happen last season that is when Evans took over his slot.

Well at the the way SVG is coaching it sounds like Lee will follow Redick. I feel sorry for Lee he has a great feel for the game, but is being coached by a coach who doesn't believe in using all of his players.

Can we say burnout before the end of the season. No wonder the Magic have nothing left for the second round of the playoffs.

i don't know, even though they both basically missed their shots lee seemed faster and played better defense than jj, also we both know they can both hit their shots, so that isn't a problem, they have the green light to pull the trigger whenever they are open, and stan will accept the fact if they miss.

bogans being there makes both of their time non existant, not to even mention j. richardson who is wearing a suit. i'm believeing that richardson has plenty of speed and the ability to glide in the air, but alot of 2 guards these days are pretty heavy and can push guys like richardson around when they're in a half court set, richardsons' game is more of a fast paced and up and down match, if we can get into a rotation of guys like peitrus, lee/nelson, richardson, shard, and dwight we could run alot of teams into the ground, but i don't see that ever happening due to turnover issues as well as streaky playing, and not just extreme small ball but extremely thin small ball, i wouldn't mind seeing that rotation if we're ever up by 30 or knock on wood down by that margin, just to see what the extreme fast game would look like.

the major reason stan is in his 8 man rotation here is that that's basically all of our athletes on the floor that he trusts with the ball to run his system, and stans' idea of developing rookies is basically having them sit on the bench for years, we'll never really see a rookie stand out here while stan is here, he doesn't trust them at all, either that or a higher up doesn't trust them and he's just playing puppet.

as for jj, he adds an element that we already have and also makes our previous' years short and defensive lacking combinations even shorter and even worse defensively, as well as slower, because i had no idea bogans could move as quickly as he's been moving these days. i had a friend that told me he thought jj was a defensive stopper coming out of the preseason the way the paper was talking about him, and the slantintel has been pushing this idea in our fans heads for a while, which is why i've stopped reading all of their articles. they don't care what the team is, they care about what the team should look like, and jj should be out there, and it's a bunch of garbage, outside of obvious things like dwight and whatever, all of their minor points in their articles seem to be extremely biased and horrible.

i'd like to see one of our draft picks be the obvious choise to be awesome, but if they have a scratch on their permanent record then the magic say no way and pick the boring guy with a semi decent jump shot and his hair parted off to the side. including all of our draft history and c. lee might prove me wrong and i hope so, we'll have a superstar talent on our team, and a few good role players that we picked up with hard cash, but our draft pick selection makes every magic fan want to bang their head against the wall, and turns out to be a big liability, that's great that we can pick the obvious draft picks, i think my grandmother could do the same given the scouting reports, but think of great playoff teams and how well their rookies/sophmores do in their rotation, rondo/stucky/wright(miami.. alright they are horrible but he's still good), where the hell were we on all of this? someone please tell me that the scouts that are making these decisions, especially in the past, aren't the owners' grandsons, cousins kids, grandchildren's friends, because it seems like that, maybe they can all go to church together. bleh.

The point is SVG doesn't know how to use his YOUNG players. It seems like C-Lee has taken JJ's spot of low man on totem pole, regardless of talent.

I hope this 8 man rotation is an early season thing, because going that tight would be pure idiocy and just asking for our top 6 players to get totally burned out by February.

Hopefully by mid-season we'll be at a solid 9-10 man rotation that SVG can be confident in.

Until then, I hope SVG knows what he's doing.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

The point is SVG doesn't know how to use his YOUNG players. It seems like C-Lee has taken JJ's spot of low man on totem pole, regardless of talent.

I hope this 8 man rotation is an early season thing, because going that tight would be pure idiocy and just asking for our top 6 players to get totally burned out by February.

Hopefully by mid-season we'll be at a solid 9-10 man rotation that SVG can be confident in.

Your wrong. Wade, Caron & Rasual Butler and Udonis Haslem, all started for Stan, during his 2 years as HC of the Heats. Stan love to play his "Young" players, it's just that we haven't had any young players worth playing yet.

quote:
Originally posted by truth393:

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Your wrong. Wade, Caron & Rasual Butler and Udonis Haslem, all started for Stan, during his 2 years as HC of the Heats. Stan love to play his "Young" players, it's just that we haven't had any young players worth playing yet.

yeah but look at those names, jj couldn't be mentioned with any of them, i don't care what kind of dvd he puts out about shooting. c. lee looks like talent you can put time into developing, when your that young speed is your friend and he's definately that quick. that guard rotation looks like nelson/aj/peitrus/bogans with hedo playing both at times even with them on the floor, and c. lee getting some scrub minutes. i'd really like to see what richardson does with minutes though, he's talent you can develop with c. lee at the guard spots, of course it's raw speed, jumping ability, and probably crazy basketball at times, but we could use all of that. but that's just too many guys for a lineup, unless they were running into like 2 overtimes and such, but if they don't have experience you can't use them, it's an odd puzzle sometimes.