Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

What Percentage of Max Players Earn Their Money

So with all of the talk about VC, Rashard Lewis, and Gerald Wallace I was wondering out of the Top 30 players in the NBA in accordance to salary how many of those are worth it. Also keep in mind that Lebron, Bosh, Wade, and Carmelo are still playing under their rookie contracts this year and all have their teams in the playoffs and are worth it.

TOP 30

1. Kevin Garnett $21m

During his current contract he has been to the Western Conference Finals once and has won an MVP award. Even though they have missed the playoffs the last 3 years he is clearly worth the money. He plays on the team I hope the Magic do not become.

2. Allan Houston $20.7 m

Injured and retired so definitely not worth it.

3. Michael Finley 20.2 m

Released to avoid the luxury tax and is now a role player except when playing the Magic. Not worth it.

4. Shaquille O'Neal 20.0 m

Shaq is a once in a lifetime talent so even though he is grossly overpaid on the downside of his career I would contend he is worth it due to the fact they did win the championship last year.

5. Chris Webber 18.3 m

Parlayed some playoff success in Sacto to an albatross of a contract that the Kings were able to move to the Sixers who had to buy it out. Was clearly mailing it in with Philly and knee injuries have taken away most of his offensive abilities. Not worth it.

6. Allen Iverson 18.3 m

Led the Sixers to the Conference Finals in 2001 but did not take them any further. Kind of like Kevin Garnett East. I would say he is worth it.

7. Jason Kidd 18.08 m

Let the Nets to two conference finals but have not been there since. Definitely makes his teammates better but is aging and slowing down. Based on production per salary I would say he is not worth it.

7. Jermaine O'Neal 18.08

He is tough because at the time of the brawl the Pacers killed the Pistons in the game and were clearly the best team in the East. The organization as a whole has imploded around him and with bad roster moves have taken away all the talent around him. I would say he is worth it.

9. Kobe Bryant 17.7 m

He needs no explanation and is without a doubt worth it.

10 Tim Duncan 17.4 m

Also needs no explanation and is defintely worth it.

11. Brian Grant 17.4 m

Wow just wow. Whoever this guys agent was needs to be enshrined into the bad contract Hall of Fame. Boston and LA split this masterpiece and he is definitely not worth it.

12. Starbury 17.3 m

A me first point guard who has only led no team to any type of playoffs success in his entire career. Proclaimed himself to be the best point guard in the NBA and was then abused by Jason Kidd the next day. Without a doubt not worth it.

13. Grant Hill 16.9 m

To injured to ever realize his potential. Not worth it but not his fault.

13. T-Mac 16.9 m

Has become a complete player in Houston who actually gives a crap and makes his teammates better. Never led a team out of the first round of the playoffs but that could change this year. Worth it

15. Jalen Rose 16.04 m

Based on his quotes he should be worth it.

On the VC trade: Did they trade him for Richard Jefferson

On if he would trade VC: Well I tried to do the trade on my PlayStation and it would not go through so I do not know what to tell you.

Also is a legitimate contender for best dressed in the NBA. But on the court not worth it.

16. Ben Wallace 15.7 m

Could have had Tyson Chandler for 5 m less and 8 years younger. Productivity had dropped the last 3 years. Not worth it.

17. Eddie Jones 15.7 m

Never been more than a role player on minor playoff success teams. Not worth it.

18. Antawn Jamison 15.01 m

Hard to say. He is a really good player but not a spectacular one. I would say not worth it.

19. Vince Carter 15.01 m

Can score at will but often just relies on his jumpshot. This postseason will tell alot for me as they have the best opening round matchup of all lower seeds. Mailed it in in Toronto for 2 years or so and he is the best of the bunch in this years free agent crop. Not worth it.

19. Dirk 15.01 m

Should win the MVP this year and should have won the championship last year if not for the meltdown in Game 3 and the clutch officiating of the refs for DWade. Favorite to win it this year so he is worth it.

19. Paul Pierce 15.01 m

He is hard to pinpoint because Boston has been through so many management teams and coaches. I would say based on individual ability and 4th quarter play he is worth it.

22. B-Diddy 15.07 m

Can be worth it when he wants to play and not just chuck up 3's. Way to injured and erratic to be worth it to me.

22. Shawn Marion 15.07 m

The matrix may be the best defensive player in the league and is a great player. Fills his role well on Phoenix and was good there even with Starbury. Worth it.

22. Steve-O 15.07 m

Steve-O proved to be a headcase and is one of those guys who thinks he is much better than he actually is. Coaxed a GM to trade for him because he got into a fight. Unbelievably not worth it.

25. Ray Allen 14.6 m

I have dreams often wet about Dwight kicking the ball out to him and him just draining 3s all night long. The best pure shooter in the NBA. Worth it.

26. Elton Brand 14.2 m

The perpetual good player stuck on a bad team. Came within one game of making it to the conference finals last year and tailed off this year due to the playoff run and then time with team USA. Definitely one of the top power forwards in the league. Worth it.

27. Larry Hughes 13.4 m

Turned one good season in Washington into this much money. After striking out with Ray Allen and Michael Redd the Cavs panicked and just handed the money to the next best guy without considering he does nothing to help Lebron. Not worth it.

28. Michael Redd 13.3 m

Great shooter who when he is on can be unstoppable. I would have liked him team with Lebron because they would have fed off each other so beautifully. Just because guys like him are so hard to find I would say he is worth it.

29. Joe Johnson 12.7 m

Not worth it based on what Atlanta gave up to get him. Now their ownership and front office is in such disarray that they cannot sign or trade for anyone to help him. A Magic killer indeed but not worth 12 m a year.

To review that is 14 out of 30 who are earning their money. In short you have a little less than a 50% chance for a max or near max player to work out. All of these guys were great players when signed but future returns have not turned out to well for alot of them. It will be tough sledding out there and I guess my point is we can argue VC, Lewis, or Wallace all day but you just do not know. I guess Wallace would be my choice based on age, future performance, and effort. It would also be cheaper and alot easier to move him if something were to happen.

So with all of the talk about VC, Rashard Lewis, and Gerald Wallace I was wondering out of the Top 30 players in the NBA in accordance to salary how many of those are worth it. Also keep in mind that Lebron, Bosh, Wade, and Carmelo are still playing under their rookie contracts this year and all have their teams in the playoffs and are worth it.

TOP 30

1. Kevin Garnett $21m

During his current contract he has been to the Western Conference Finals once and has won an MVP award. Even though they have missed the playoffs the last 3 years he is clearly worth the money. He plays on the team I hope the Magic do not become.

2. Allan Houston $20.7 m

Injured and retired so definitely not worth it.

3. Michael Finley 20.2 m

Released to avoid the luxury tax and is now a role player except when playing the Magic. Not worth it.

4. Shaquille O'Neal 20.0 m

Shaq is a once in a lifetime talent so even though he is grossly overpaid on the downside of his career I would contend he is worth it due to the fact they did win the championship last year.

5. Chris Webber 18.3 m

Parlayed some playoff success in Sacto to an albatross of a contract that the Kings were able to move to the Sixers who had to buy it out. Was clearly mailing it in with Philly and knee injuries have taken away most of his offensive abilities. Not worth it.

6. Allen Iverson 18.3 m

Led the Sixers to the Conference Finals in 2001 but did not take them any further. Kind of like Kevin Garnett East. I would say he is worth it.

7. Jason Kidd 18.08 m

Let the Nets to two conference finals but have not been there since. Definitely makes his teammates better but is aging and slowing down. Based on production per salary I would say he is not worth it.

7. Jermaine O'Neal 18.08

He is tough because at the time of the brawl the Pacers killed the Pistons in the game and were clearly the best team in the East. The organization as a whole has imploded around him and with bad roster moves have taken away all the talent around him. I would say he is worth it.

9. Kobe Bryant 17.7 m

He needs no explanation and is without a doubt worth it.

10 Tim Duncan 17.4 m

Also needs no explanation and is defintely worth it.

11. Brian Grant 17.4 m

Wow just wow. Whoever this guys agent was needs to be enshrined into the bad contract Hall of Fame. Boston and LA split this masterpiece and he is definitely not worth it.

12. Starbury 17.3 m

A me first point guard who has only led no team to any type of playoffs success in his entire career. Proclaimed himself to be the best point guard in the NBA and was then abused by Jason Kidd the next day. Without a doubt not worth it.

13. Grant Hill 16.9 m

To injured to ever realize his potential. Not worth it but not his fault.

13. T-Mac 16.9 m

Has become a complete player in Houston who actually gives a crap and makes his teammates better. Never led a team out of the first round of the playoffs but that could change this year. Worth it

15. Jalen Rose 16.04 m

Based on his quotes he should be worth it.

On the VC trade: Did they trade him for Richard Jefferson

On if he would trade VC: Well I tried to do the trade on my PlayStation and it would not go through so I do not know what to tell you.

Also is a legitimate contender for best dressed in the NBA. But on the court not worth it.

16. Ben Wallace 15.7 m

Could have had Tyson Chandler for 5 m less and 8 years younger. Productivity had dropped the last 3 years. Not worth it.

17. Eddie Jones 15.7 m

Never been more than a role player on minor playoff success teams. Not worth it.

18. Antawn Jamison 15.01 m

Hard to say. He is a really good player but not a spectacular one. I would say not worth it.

19. Vince Carter 15.01 m

Can score at will but often just relies on his jumpshot. This postseason will tell alot for me as they have the best opening round matchup of all lower seeds. Mailed it in in Toronto for 2 years or so and he is the best of the bunch in this years free agent crop. Not worth it.

19. Dirk 15.01 m

Should win the MVP this year and should have won the championship last year if not for the meltdown in Game 3 and the clutch officiating of the refs for DWade. Favorite to win it this year so he is worth it.

19. Paul Pierce 15.01 m

He is hard to pinpoint because Boston has been through so many management teams and coaches. I would say based on individual ability and 4th quarter play he is worth it.

22. B-Diddy 15.07 m

Can be worth it when he wants to play and not just chuck up 3's. Way to injured and erratic to be worth it to me.

22. Shawn Marion 15.07 m

The matrix may be the best defensive player in the league and is a great player. Fills his role well on Phoenix and was good there even with Starbury. Worth it.

22. Steve-O 15.07 m

Steve-O proved to be a headcase and is one of those guys who thinks he is much better than he actually is. Coaxed a GM to trade for him because he got into a fight. Unbelievably not worth it.

25. Ray Allen 14.6 m

I have dreams often wet about Dwight kicking the ball out to him and him just draining 3s all night long. The best pure shooter in the NBA. Worth it.

26. Elton Brand 14.2 m

The perpetual good player stuck on a bad team. Came within one game of making it to the conference finals last year and tailed off this year due to the playoff run and then time with team USA. Definitely one of the top power forwards in the league. Worth it.

27. Larry Hughes 13.4 m

Turned one good season in Washington into this much money. After striking out with Ray Allen and Michael Redd the Cavs panicked and just handed the money to the next best guy without considering he does nothing to help Lebron. Not worth it.

28. Michael Redd 13.3 m

Great shooter who when he is on can be unstoppable. I would have liked him team with Lebron because they would have fed off each other so beautifully. Just because guys like him are so hard to find I would say he is worth it.

29. Joe Johnson 12.7 m

Not worth it based on what Atlanta gave up to get him. Now their ownership and front office is in such disarray that they cannot sign or trade for anyone to help him. A Magic killer indeed but not worth 12 m a year.

To review that is 14 out of 30 who are earning their money. In short you have a little less than a 50% chance for a max or near max player to work out. All of these guys were great players when signed but future returns have not turned out to well for alot of them. It will be tough sledding out there and I guess my point is we can argue VC, Lewis, or Wallace all day but you just do not know. I guess Wallace would be my choice based on age, future performance, and effort. It would also be cheaper and alot easier to move him if something were to happen.

Hey I am on fire today. I have never had any posts moved before but that might be two today. Anyway that is fine to move it I just put it here since it kind of relates to the Magic since they could very well be giving out some max money this summer. Anyway I like that you mods keep the boards clean so do what you do.

Excellent post Drain-O! The only one on your list that I kind of disagree with you on is Joe Johnson. The Hawks definitely gave up too much to get him but simply based on his contract I think he is worth his salary. He is on my short list of players that I would like to see the Magic get that has a contract that big.

None, they're playing basketball. When I look at things like this I just think of people I no and how hard they work.