Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Game Thread: Magic at Hawks: 10/20/2008, 7 PM

well my stat predictions were pretty off...But I am wicked happy to see how AJ and Lee played for us tonight...Dwight with another big offensive game, um 7 turnovers and 4PF's though, holy crap...Would like to see Dwight get those rebounds more in check...MP hasnt been uber impressive in terms of boxscore stats...would like to see some more production from him on the glass and maybe a few more points...even though he's not an offensive focal point we'll need it in the playoffs...

The Magic beat ATL! Pinch me, I'm dreaming. I don't care if this is preseason, it was an entertaining game and a good, heart-fought win.

The three biggest statements I thought were made by Rashard Lewis, Anthony Johnson, and Courtney Lee. Rashard is clearly ready to not only be the Rashard Lewis of old (Seattle), but a tougher version of himself. If 2 years ago you would of told me "Rashard Lewis had 8 boards, 3 steals, and a block the other night," I would of called you nuts. But that's what he did along with 25 points tonight. Good shooting, clutch free throws... there's just nothing to complain about from the Money Man tonight, or this whole preseason for that matter.

Anthony Johnson is just pure solid. Timely scoring, 4 boards, and most importantly 8 assists against only one turnover. Not to mention just a feel... the whole team just seems smoother and more efficent when he's in there.

Then there's C-Lee. Where did this come from!? Through 3 quarters he was having a very ordinary game. But then in the 4th quarter his game blew up on both ends and the Hawks clearly weren't ready for him to do it. C-Lee has finally arrived in the SG battle.

A mixed bag from Dwight. You'll always take 29 points, 11 boards, 2 blocks, & 2 steals. But 7 turnovers when no one else on the team has more than 2 is far too much. His free throws ended up 13 of 22. That's alright.

The only player that played that I'm really concerned about is Jameer Nelson. Bibby ran circles around him in the first half, and Jameer fouled too much. And 4 assists against 2 turnovers is kinda "meh." But to his credit he turned it up a little in the 2nd half with a couple of 3s and a couple of back-to-back assists in the 4th quarter.

That aside, wins are always good, no matter when they happen. Especially against Atlanta! Now lets hope they do that again when it really counts, that being the season opener against... these Atlanta Hawks.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

But 7 turnovers when no one else on the team has more than 2 is far too much. His free throws ended up 13 of 22. That's alright.

Thanks for the analysis, but one thing I do not agree is that free throw percentage. It is at the same level as last year, so I still hope to see him shoot better than just 59% from the line.

And about the to's, I know it has been mentioned a lot, but he has to develop his footwork, passing OR shooting skills. I'd take any of these (: If not, we should stop giving him the ball far from the rim like we did a lot last year and guess still keep doing throughout this preaseason..

quote:
Originally posted by aSnaCCanSa:

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

But 7 turnovers when no one else on the team has more than 2 is far too much. His free throws ended up 13 of 22. That's alright.

Thanks for the analysis, but one thing I do not agree is that free throw percentage. It is at the same level as last year, so I still hope to see him shoot better than just 59% from the line.

And about the to's, I know it has been mentioned a lot, but he has to develop his footwork, passing OR shooting skills. I'd take any of these (: If not, we should stop giving him the ball far from the rim like we did a lot last year and guess still keep doing throughout this preaseason..

I agree with you, that's why I chose my words carefully... I said it was alright. But not good, not good enough to hang your hat on. He made enough for us to win tonight, but you're right. If he shoots 20 free throws, he needs to make at least 14-15 of them. Not just 9-12.

And in the close games, those extra few points every game would make a world of difference.