Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Anybody wanna do a chat w/ Steve Kyler at 4:00?

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

there is no proof to suggest it alters your driving ability(like booze).

That's not quite true. While it may do so to a lesser degree than alcohol, marijuana does affect motor function. It's still not a good idea to do a lot of driving around when you're high even if it's not as bad as driving drunk.

im not saying its a good idea...im just saying that there is no proof to suggest its dangerous. also. caffeine affects motor function as much if not moreso than pot, so by that logic coca cola or coffee should be banned on the roadway...

That's ridiculous. You're not taking into account whether a drug enhances motor function or inhibits it, but whether it is affected or not.

The fact is, marijuana inhibits motor function. Saying that doesn't make you against it, and the people on the other side of this will have a lot more respect for your arguments if you acknowledge everything pot does.

Why would you say "I'm not saying it's a good idea" if it weren't a little bit more dangerous than driving sober?

Look, it doesn't matter wether marijuana is better or worse for you than alcohol. The point is that one is illegal and the other isn't. You can argue that it shouldn't be illegal and that's fine. However, these guys had to purchase these illegal drugs. What they are supporting is the cut-throat world of drug trafficking. While marijuana doesn't directly affect as many "users" as alcohol, how many people are killed during the making and distributing of alcohol????

quote:
Originally posted by Big L:

Look, it doesn't matter wether marijuana is better or worse for you than alcohol. The point is that one is illegal and the other isn't. You can argue that it shouldn't be illegal and that's fine. However, these guys had to purchase these illegal drugs. What they are supporting is the cut-throat world of drug trafficking. While marijuana doesn't directly affect as many "users" as alcohol, how many people are killed during the making and distributing of alcohol????

How many are killed during the making and distributing of Marijuana specifically? How many people are killed during the making and distributing of illegal drugs made from completely legal components? How many people are killed from the making and distributing of legal prescription drugs sold illegally?

It's easy to make blanket statements about legal drugs vs illegal drugs, but no issue is that simply defined. As for your other point that they broke the law, I don't think anyone is disputing that. The discussion is whether or not what they did should be illegal, not whether or not it currently is.

One thing I will say for sure though: I would rather deal with 1000 people on mary jane than I would deal with 1 who has been abusing adderall.

quote:

Thats one hell of a blanket statement.

Almost sounds like that commercial a while back. If you smoke pot, you support terrorism. That like this statement is completely ridiculous

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

quote:

Thats one hell of a blanket statement.

Almost sounds like that commercial a while back. If you smoke pot, you support terrorism. That like this statement is completely ridiculous

I didn't say anything about terrorism. However, before you finish the total counts for both you have to consider that the people growing and moving the marijuana around aren't doing it with union workers and shipping through UPS. That's all. Plus, again like it or not one is legal and one isn't. You can fight the fact that it shouldn't be illegal, but you can't say that an illegal product and a legal one should be judged the same way.

However, I will agree that the tax benefits would be huge if marijuana was legal. Also, that marijuana should not be lumped in with meth, crack/cocaine and some other drugs.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicNoles:

Marijuana is NOT physically addictive. It just isn't. Sorry, but your wrong.

I used to smoke daily and definitely had some subtle withdrawal symptoms, including difficulty sleeping and irritability, if I didnt. They would typically last for 2 or 3 days and then disapate. Just my experience.

quote:

I didn't say anything about terrorism. However, before you finish the total counts for both you have to consider that the people growing and moving the marijuana around aren't doing it with union workers and shipping through UPS. That's all. Plus, again like it or not one is legal and one isn't. You can fight the fact that it shouldn't be illegal, but you can't say that an illegal product and a legal one should be judged the same way.

However, I will agree that the tax benefits would be huge if marijuana was legal. Also, that marijuana should not be lumped in with meth, crack/cocaine and some other drugs.

What makes the people who grow and distribute marijuana do all those things? The fact that it is illegal. Those things will be eliminated if it is legalized.

The same thing happened during alcohol prohibition. People still wanted their booze and a black market was created to supply it to them. This lead to all kinds of violence and crime that didn't exist when alcohol was legal. When prohibition was repealed, these things went away. There's a reason gangs don't deal in alcohol today. It's legal and you can get it pretty much anywhere, so they can't control the prices and make obscene amounts of money off of it.

The same principle applies to marijuana.

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:

quote:

What makes the people who grow and distribute marijuana do all those things? The fact that it is illegal. Those things will be eliminated if it is legalized.

The same thing happened during alcohol prohibition. People still wanted their booze and a black market was created to supply it to them. This lead to all kinds of violence and crime that didn't exist when alcohol was legal. When prohibition was repealed, these things went away. There's a reason gangs don't deal in alcohol today. It's legal and you can get it pretty much anywhere, so they can't control the prices and make obscene amounts of money off of it.

The same principle applies to marijuana.

You are absolutely right, but until it becomes legal if it ever does you're part of the cycle. Again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong about marijuana being legal. However, since today it is illegal, if you buy it you are feeding the cycle.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

Go Magic.

Wow...I was reading through this thread about alcohol...then look at what pops up.

GO Magic!

*Stands up*

"Hi everyone. I'm O-Dub......and I'm.....an Alcoholic"

*Everyone claps*