Sign in to follow this  
JSicamore

Why the Magic suck at drafting, did you see Rudy Fernandez play??

Now you see why I was baffled at the Magic's incompetence of not getting Rudy Rodriguez 2 years ago? Most of you had no idea who he was when I posted about this player a few months ago.

Hopefully after watching the Olympics now you know who Rudy Rodriguez is.

The incompetence of the Orlando Magic at drafting is appalling (Lee was an easy one, sorry boys but that doesn't count, my grandma could've made this pick). I'm happy we now have someone like Lee, hopefully in 2 or 3 years we could be comparing the two.

Rudy could've been had for almost nothing (he was drafted by PHX 2 years ago and sold for pennies to Portland (who knew they were getting a steal). The guy reminds me somewhat of Penny Hardaway.

So he was from Spain and the Magic might have gotten some fan backlash for picking another Euro after the Fran stupidity. Well, so what?? Otis didn't do shat that draft anyways!

By the way that 17-year old Spanish PG is a stud. See how good a team plays when the offense is controlled by a PG who doesn't take all the shots and can defend?? At times I couldn't tell who was the 17 year old, him or Chris Paul. The kid plays like he's 27, not 17.

Watch and learn! We're not going anywhere with Jameer Nelson, sorry boys

PS: Feel free to hate on my comments all you want

Now you see why I was baffled at the Magic's incompetence of not getting Rudy Rodriguez 2 years ago? Most of you had no idea who he was when I posted about this player a few months ago.

The incompetence of the Orlando Magic at drafting is appalling (Lee was an easy one, sorry boys but that doesn't count, my grandma could've made this pick). I'm happy we now have someone like Lee, hopefully in 2 or 3 years we could be comparing the two.

Rudy could've been had for almost nothing (he was drafted by PHX 2 years ago and sold for pennies to Portland (who knew they were getting a steal). The guy reminds me somewhat of Penny Hardaway.

So he was from Spain and the Magic might have gotten some fan backlash for picking another Euro after the Fran stupidity. Well, so what?? Otis didn't do shat that draft anyways!

By the way that 17-year old Spanish PG is a stud. See how good a team plays when the offense is controlled by a PG who doesn't take all the shots and can defend?? At times I couldn't tell who was the 17 year old, him or Chris Paul. The kid plays like he's 27, not 17.

quote:
Originally posted by JSicamore:

Who is Rudy Rodriguez? Would he be some sort of Spanish combination player equivalent of like, I don't know, Johnsaiah Stockthomas, or something?

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

We didn't even have a draft pick two years ago.

As far as Rubio, I was impressed. Very smooth, plays under control. It will probably be a few years before he's in thee NBA however.

My bad.. I think it was last year's draft then

We had (2) an early to mid pick used on a player we later traded away for cash, and then a very late one, where we picked Radmanovic and also traded him away for cash. That's all Otis did that draft. Remember his famous quote "this team doesn't need to get any younger", "I'm happy with the team we have". With that mentality, no surprise he sat on his behind and didn't even take a look a blossoming talent such as this Spanish player.

Fernandez was sold to Portland for chunk change (PHX already had Barbosa)(I personally think Rudy is already a better all-around player),

Heck, just for the money the Magic got out selling those 2 picks, they could've gotten him!

I hate posts like this. It's simple to look back a year or two ago and say we suck at drafting because we didn't pick up a certain player.

Each player is a prospect during the draft. You don't know how a player's game (especially international level) will translate to the NBA.

I could play this game all day long.

Detroit sucks at drafting because they chose Darko over Wade and Bosh

Utah sucks at drafting because they picked Humphries over Al Jefferson

Furthermore, Fernandez was picked 24th in the 2007 draft. We didn't have a first round pick that year - Detroit had it.

It's kinda hard to pick up a player when you don't even have an opportunity to draft him.

Courtney Lee was a pick your grandma could've made?

He was projected as a 2nd rounder. If he turns out well, Otis gets 100% credit for a good pick.

why so serious jsicamore? we already know we dont really excel at drafting when we dont have a top pick. and lets give clee some time b4 we annoint him the ROY shall we?

quote:
Originally posted by noypi_magic:

why so serious jsicamore? we already know we dont really excel at drafting when we dont have a top pick. and lets give clee some time b4 we annoint him the ROY shall we?

Aren't these two kind of contradicting each other? Lighten up, nobody is crowning him ROY. I'm personally gunning for MVP. Of the Finals.

i actually just like to use my favorite line of the movie you know.icon_wink.gif i dont know how it contradicted, jsicamore said clee is a shoo in HOFamer so i said hold your horses for a moment. or did i not correctly analyze things?

quote:

Fernandez was sold to Portland for chunk change (PHX already had Barbosa)(I personally think Rudy is already a better all-around player),

Just in case some of you are unfamiliar with this term, I will explain:

Chunk Change - Loose change used to buy rocky road ice cream.

Chunk change can be found in common areas, such as; stuck in the cushions of a couch, on the floor at the arcade, laying around the dresser in the bad guys hide out, treasure chests in old forgotten pirate ships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxCAEay5b_I

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

We didn't even have a draft pick two years ago.

As far as Rubio, I was impressed. Very smooth, plays under control. It will probably be a few years before he's in thee NBA however.

My bad.. I think it was last year's draft then

We had (2) an early to mid pick used on a player we later traded away for cash, and then a very late one, where we picked Radmanovic and also traded him away for cash. That's all Otis did that draft. Remember his famous quote "this team doesn't need to get any younger", "I'm happy with the team we have". With that mentality, no surprise he sat on his behind and didn't even take a look a blossoming talent such as this Spanish player.

Heck, just for the money the Magic got out selling those 2 picks, they could've gotten him!

Radmanovic? Am I missing something from my Magic History?