Sign in to follow this  
Luke_FfS

Put away the Spanish fear!

I must have seen a different Ricky Rubio than everbody else. The one i seen a had couple good passes and was out there getting technical fouls. Now hes considered a future allstar. Maybe you guys know him or seen him more than i have so im going to leave it to that. Time to go check out his Youtube vid. You know Youtube will make him look better than Kobe.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

Whats so good about Ricky Rubio. I can see Rudy Fernandez but what did Rubio do so impressive? I can also see Juan Carlos Navarro as well. You guys make it seem like hes the younger version of Kidd and Nash. Like hes better than Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

Well, the kids is 17 years old and played well enough to be considered a good player as is. Factor in he's 17 and you would imagine why someone would be a little exited about his prospects.

quote:

I must have seen a different Ricky Rubio than everbody else. The one i seen a had couple good passes and was out there getting technical fouls. Now hes considered a future allstar. Maybe you guys know him or seen him more than i have so im going to leave it to that. Time to go check out his Youtube vid. You know Youtube will make him look better than Kobe.

I didn't see him that much either, just the two games against the USA. I thought he played very good considering who he played against.

Did I see enough to consider him the next great thing? No, I'm going by what I have read but he didn't play in a way that would make me think the accolades are not merited.

I don't know if he'll be a superstar, but he looks good and at that age, what more can you ask for. He showed more poise at 17 playing for his country in the Olympics, and a very good team that he played for. I liked the kid.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Ricky Rubio an all star PG written all over his jersey. He should be the back up PG of this team for at least 2 games before Stan sends Jameer to the bench. His icy cold blood at his age is something Howard would love to have.

Rubio clearly has alot of talent (making the Spanish squad at his age is very impressive) but there isn't a 18 year old on the planet that has "allstar written all over him." It hard enough to make that call on a 22 year old college senior.

*cough*Dwighthoward*cough*

Clearly Dwight turned out to be a decent pick but he was hardly a surefire thing. If he was, most of the experts wouldnt have been screaming for us to pick Okafor.

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

A squad of Scola, Marc Gasol, Nocioni, Rudy Fernandez and Ricky Rubio, will make it to the Conference finals any day. This guys are TOO GOOD.

I think you're on crack! I see 4 quality bench/role players and one potential All-Star. Everybody is enamored with Spain after the gold metal game, they seem to forget they got blown out by 40 a week earlier. Any team can play above their heads in one game (Giants).

I watched Juan Carlos Navarro play all last season and he had some games where he played like he did in the gold metal game. He had 4x as many games where he played as he did when Spain was blown out by nearly 40 points. Let's not turn all these foreign players into superstars because they competed in one game that was played on their terms. Perspective please. Plenty of solid players, but come on.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Ricky Rubio an all star PG written all over his jersey. He should be the back up PG of this team for at least 2 games before Stan sends Jameer to the bench. His icy cold blood at his age is something Howard would love to have.

Rubio clearly has alot of talent (making the Spanish squad at his age is very impressive) but there isn't a 18 year old on the planet that has "allstar written all over him." It hard enough to make that call on a 22 year old college senior.

*cough*Dwighthoward*cough*

Clearly Dwight turned out to be a decent pick but he was hardly a surefire thing. If he was, most of the experts wouldnt have been screaming for us to pick Okafor.

I thought the experts screaming for us to pick Okafor was a sign that Dwight was a sure thing! lolz

quote:

I must have seen a different Ricky Rubio than everbody else. The one i seen a had couple good passes and was out there getting technical fouls. Now hes considered a future allstar. Maybe you guys know him or seen him more than i have so im going to leave it to that.

I get your point.

In the media Rubio is actually overrated in the same way that Rose, Bearsley or Mayo were probably overrated before the draft.... it's just a process, sites like ESPN need this type of news to keep up the attention in the boring summer.

But this is not Rubio fault... I've seen him playing (and sometimes training) in the last 3 years, and I'm sure that he'll be a very good player.

An All-Star?

Too difficult to predict now, he's still very young, there's a lot of pressure on him, a lot of things could happen, and not every prospect become an All-Star (Kwame Brown is a very good example of failure)

The reason for all this hype are explained quite well on this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...AR2008081502337.html

quote:

Rubio started playing professional basketball for DKV Joventut in arguably the best European pro league, Spanish ACB, less than a week before his 15th birthday. He entered the realm of legend in 2006, when he led the Spanish junior national team to the FIBA Europe under-16 championship, scoring 52 points with 24 rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals in a 110-106 double-overtime win against Russia.

He has been always ahead of his age, at 15 he was playing 10/15 minutes a game in the Playoffs, doing it very well, and so on...

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

I think you're on crack! I see 4 quality bench/role players and one potential All-Star. Everybody is enamored with Spain after the gold metal game, they seem to forget they got blown out by 40 a week earlier. Any team can play above their heads in one game (Giants).

I watched Juan Carlos Navarro play all last season and he had some games where he played like he did in the gold metal game. He had 4x as many games where he played as he did when Spain was blown out by nearly 40 points. Let's not turn all these foreign players into superstars because they competed in one game that was played on their terms. Perspective please. Plenty of solid players, but come on.

I agree with you that the team above is not going to make the Finals, and that not all those players are superstar by any means, but if you think that this was only one game above their heads, you're wrong.

The strange game was the one in which they were blown out by nearly 40 points, in which they seem to have absolutely no interest in putting a decente effort to win.

This spanish team is almost the same that won the World Championship two years ago, blowing out a Greek team that had defeated USA just two days before, and doing it without Gasol.

The same team that was in the final last year in the European tournament and lose only by 1.

The core of this team has played together in the last 10 years, and they win everything at under16 and under18 level.

That's something more than only one game above their heads...

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

No doubt in my mind, a player that would fit in our system and would be realistically obtainable is Felipe Reyes.

The guy plays his azz off, and is effective inside and outside. 6'-9" and 255lbs. And even carrying that weight, he is quick and agile enough to run the floor, and drive the lane. He has a nice outside shot, and even more effective post moves.

Sure, I'd take Rubio, Garbajosa, Gasol, and Fernandez in a second. But as far as who can the Magic get, and who would fit?

Felipe Reyes by a mile.

Edit: He averaged 9.625ppg and 5.125 reb in 17.5mpg throughout the olympics.

BUMP.

This is for Smack.

Look at our guy, he's dominating the league.

http://www.acb.com/stsindiv.php?cod_competicion=LACB&co...icion=53&cod_fase=LR

Ranking is the sum of all the stats, positives and negatives.

BTW, Fran appears in only two stats.

Number of dunks, and %FG (cause 12 of his 16 buckets are dunks...)