Sign in to follow this  
chosen12

Could Grant Hill be wrong????

Agree with MRCharisma.

Not intendeed to offend the Celts but it did just that. It wasn't right, but that doesn't mean the team could have stopped them before losing the 20pt lead.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Porter should not have said what he said, but Grant's comments can be added to a very long list of excuses made by players, coaches & management pertaining to the team's struggles and underachievement.

I'm more than tired of hearing excuses like, injuries, youth, lack of energy, etc., etc. Now it's the announcers fault that the magic went flat in the fourth quarter? Give me a break Grant.

Smack, that is what I find so confounding, that Grant Hill, the class of the organization felt the need to lean on the statement as the reason for the 4th qtr meltdown. I think what he said was they have pride too! Is that why we didn't score for final 6:44??? I love the guy (GHill) but Paul Porter must have said something more than just 12 mins!!

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by Rafael17222:

I'm also on Grants side. I was at the game, and as soon as Paul made the announcement, I said to myself "Oh no he didn't!"

I would take it personal too!

So again, the PA announcer was out of place in making that statement, or how he made the statement....or both????

He said it in a manner that insinuated Magic winning the game was a forgone conclusion. He might as well have said:

"Why even bother playing the fourth quarter everyone, let's go home and celebrate!!"

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

I'm also on Grants side. I was at the game, and as soon as Paul made the announcement, I said to myself "Oh no he didn't!"

I would take it personal too!

He said it in a manner that insinuated Magic winning the game was a forgone conclusion. He might as well have said:

"Why even bother playing the fourth quarter everyone, let's go home and celebrate!!"

This is just what I thought! I don't see GHill take offense to much of anything, but PP must have rubbed it in....On the otherside that still does not excuse the meltdown!!

By Grant being upset, that's the Duke way. Their players are taught to never say anything derogatory against the opposing team in public or their players and they never intentionally do anything to embarrass the team and teammates. He learned that from Coach K and apparently it has carried on with him. JJ is the same way. No matter how much crap he took off of the other players and opposing schools he never said anything derogatory in public. Grant showed he has class.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

Grant showed he has class.

While I agree he is a class act, I'm not convinced that his motivation in being upset was quite as morally lofty as suggested.

If he had said that Porter should not have made those remarks because it was not the proper way of respecting the opposition, I would agree with you.

But he was mad at the announcer because he stressed our young players and motivated the opposition.

I still agree with his complaint, but I don't think it was for the reasons you are suggesting.

But you may be correct.

Paul Porter is NOT the scapegoat for our meltdown. He only said what we were all thinking. As far as PA announcers go, have you heard the guys from Detroit and Miami - they are obnoxious. The team froze and our coach did nothing except call timeouts to stop the momemtum. The Celtics went into a zone press and we were unable to handle it. Why Jameer even dropped a ball out of bounds with nobody closer then 10 feet. Dwight's free throw shooting has been on a downward spiral (Philly excluded) so we should not be surprised. I've sat thru many stinkers but that fourth quarter was the worst display of how to play basketball. But do you know what, we WON and are in the playoffs. It would have been a disaster if we had lost. Maybe the team and HOPEFULLY the coach have learned from this . Since the W went into the record I might actually forget this nightmare of a 4th Quarter.

quote:
Originally posted by magicmikej:

Paul Porter is NOT the scapegoat for our meltdown. He only said what we were all thinking. As far as PA announcers go, have you heard the guys from Detroit and Miami - they are obnoxious. The team froze and our coach did nothing except call timeouts to stop the momemtum. The Celtics went into a zone press and we were unable to handle it. Why Jameer even dropped a ball out of bounds with nobody closer then 10 feet. Dwight's free throw shooting has been on a downward spiral (Philly excluded) so we should not be surprised. I've sat thru many stinkers but that fourth quarter was the worst display of how to play basketball. But do you know what, we WON and are in the playoffs. It would have been a disaster if we had lost. Maybe the team and HOPEFULLY the coach have learned from this . Since the W went into the record I might actually forget this nightmare of a 4th Quarter.

Because Porters statement were viewed as out of bounds or I even heard classless, should Grant be upset because of the lack of class on Porters part, or the flatlined response to the Boston run from our boys in the 4th?

quote:
By Grant being upset, that's the Duke way. Their players are taught to never say anything derogatory against the opposing team in public or their players and they never intentionally do anything to embarrass the team and teammates. He learned that from Coach K and apparently it has carried on with him. JJ is the same way. No matter how much crap he took off of the other players and opposing schools he never said anything derogatory in public. Grant showed he has class.

Totally agree. Not saying it was an excuse for the meltdown but it was very very unprofessional for the PA to announce it TWICE during the game. Grant has the right to be upset man has class something to me is lacking nowadays in the NBA...

Grant Hill's offense is a major reason we're even in the playoffs. He has a right to his opinion. The younger so-called stars of this team - Dwight and Jameer - should stand back and look a Grant as a role model. Grant does nothing but bust his butt every night for this team. He doesn't laugh on the bench during 20 point blowouts, turn the ball over every other possession, or throw bricks every free throw. As for the number of years he's served, he can't help the injuries that he had. I'm sure if he could've helped it, he'd have played every minute they were paying him for, but he couldn't. Maybe some of you guys are the whiners who should shut up.

quote:
Originally posted by michelle7:

Grant Hill's offense is a major reason we're even in the playoffs. He has a right to his opinion. The younger so-called stars of this team - Dwight and Jameer - should stand back and look a Grant as a role model. Grant does nothing but bust his butt every night for this team. He doesn't laugh on the bench during 20 point blowouts, turn the ball over every other possession, or throw bricks every free throw. As for the number of years he's served, he can't help the injuries that he had. I'm sure if he could've helped it, he'd have played every minute they were paying him for, but he couldn't. Maybe some of you guys are the whiners who should shut up.

I think this is another case of being off point. Michelle7, the original question is weather or not Paul Porter was out of line and Grant was on point for calling him out after the game. Furthermore the original question also speaks to weather or not that was the reason for the 4th qtr meltdown, not what Grant brings to the team, etc. That question has been answered time and again.

quote:
Porter should not have said what he said, but Grant's comments can be added to a very long list of excuses made by players, coaches & management pertaining to the team's struggles and underachievement.

One, I don't see how this team has underachieved. They've won more games than last season, they've made the playoffs and they've beaten top quality opponets (at times). If you expected more than that going into the season you were one of the delusional people.

Two, I really like PP. Great old school announcer. But to announce that it would just be a matter of time (12 minutes) until the Celtics caved and we made the playoffs was disrespectful. And there's no reason to incite a team that has nothing to play for in the beginning. Was this the reason we played so poorly in the 4th? No. But openly disrespecting an opponet on your home PA system is asking for trouble. Grant Hill's been playing high level basketball his entire life, and ripping on a opponet is something you never do. Especially in the middle of a game.