Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

dorsey blows it again...

quote:
Originally posted by KLR:

I fail to see how not being a good free throw shooter is gonna turn him into an inmate.

I already posted links to him starting a bar fight, and driving with suspended liscence.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

quote:
Originally posted by KLR:

I fail to see how not being a good free throw shooter is gonna turn him into an inmate.

I already posted links to him starting a bar fight, and driving with suspended liscence.

And yet JJ is an Orlando Magic.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

If this guy has such a competetive spirit then why hasn't he learned how to make free throws, do you think he shoots 100 per day, and still can't manage to make half of them???

Yea sounds really compedetive, the practice habbits of a champion.

Don't you think you are reaching just a little bit here? Dwight isn't a good free throw shooter and no one questions his work ethic.

Some of the comments in this thread are completely inappropriate. Dorsey to the best of my knowledge has never had any brushes with the law and yet guys are talking about him like he is the founding father of the Bloods. There is a long list of tough guys, that were boy scouts off the court, that played a very valuable role on the court as an enforcer.

I would love just once to see the Magic sign a player that loves putting opponents on their ***es when they drive the lane....or in retaliation for constantly hacking at Dwight. Maybe in my lifetime I will see it.

First off we are on the same page here, or at least wanting a player to knock guys around, and enforce for Dwight alittle, That's what Augustine should be doing.IMO he has no other value, I hope he spent all offseason in the weight room. I have said this repeatedly, our team needs to spend their fouls more wisely. When playoffs came around we let teams have layups, except Dooling, and Jameer kind of stepped it up.

But 50% from the charity stripe, that's not hard.

I think Dwight is in the high 60%.

Dorsey is been below 50% in College, I think he was above for his senior year, but barely.

Listen my grandma can make 50% of her freethrows shooting them Jackie Moon style.

But if you want to compare him to Shaq, I don't think Shaq shoots 100 free throws a day either, I don't think he ever practiced like that. But Shaq had ungoddly physical talent and could make up for pathetic free throw shooting with superior on the court play. Dorsey will never have superior on the court play, Sorry I don't see that. I don't even see Rodman type of superior talent. Dorsey has a strong body, is alittle short and often misses dunks, because he dosen't have above average jumping ability either.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a guy willing to be a baddddasssssszzz out on the court, but can still make half, well let's go for more than half of the free throws they attempt.

and while I'm on the subject having Dwight out there, and playing another player with a low free throw percentage, could be very very dangerous.

Unless opponents go to a hack-a-Dorsey strategy late in games (which is easily correct and I think the league is going to make a rule change that won't allow it) he isn't going to shoot enough free throws a game for it to make a difference. Who cares if he is a 45 percent free throw shooter if he only shoots 3 a game? It would be nice to have a enforcer that has a soft shooting touch but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Dorsey knows what his strengths are and he sticks to what he does best. Thats what all good roleplayers do.

Shaq really isn't a good comparison. I'll never compare a superstar to a rookie that will likely be a roleplayer at best. If you want a comparison how about someone like Ben Wallace or even Bo Outlaw? Both are terrible free throw shooters and again I don't think anyone would question their work ethic. Some guys will just never be good free throw shooters. Have you been to a game and see the pregame shoot a round? Guys like Adonal Foyle consistently hit 15 foot jump shots....something they never do in a game. No matter how much they practice it they can't utilize it when a game is being played. The same thing could be said about your Augustine comments. The guy doesn't have it in him make up to be that kind of player. No amount of coaching or pep talks is going to change that.

Barkley started a bar fight too, he sure did suck and he's doing well in prison now, huh?

If anything, this makes me like him more. It's a summer league game, who cares, he knew it didn't matter. He was backing one of his teammates, that's never a bad thing.

I see what you are saying, I do know this If we Hypothetically speaking were able to get Sheed wallace, I'd put up with his BS, however IMO Sheed brings alot more to the Table than Dorsey.

Still at the same time If we had a whole team of Sheeds, I am not sure I'd be a fan of that team anymore. For me personally, and as a fan alot of what I root for has to do with the character of the players. I hate Dirty players, and even more than the dirty players I hate the guys that make out of adversity, only to crawl back to the criminals who made the streets they grew up on so tough, and then aid them.

Let's just put it this way I would never be a Pacers fan, if I lived in indiana, I might show up at the games, but, I'd be cheering for the away team.

quote:
Originally posted by Mooooooooooves:

Barkley started a bar fight too, he sure did suck and he's doing well in prison now, huh?

If anything, this makes me like him more. It's a summer league game, who cares, he knew it didn't matter. He was backing one of his teammates, that's never a bad thing.

My point is that they are not, Barkley included, the type of player the magic want in their organization. When I said behind bars, I was expecting you to understand an abstract concept, I don't literally mean he will end up in prision, I mean that he has chosen to align himself with that type of person, and make the kind of decisions, that could at the very least be very destracting to a team. I am not a fan of that type of guy.

I hope he does not wind up like that. All I am saying, is that he has that potential.

I can pretty much promise you though, Dorsey will not be sucessful like Barkley. Barkley had offensive game, Dorsey has none.

so the magic have stuck with good guys for the past almost two decades and it got us one eastern conference championship.. didn't the pistons get into an on court brawl one year and then somehow or another haven't been stopple as of yet by the magic? i'm not advocating us beating people up, but what did we do in this past season when dwight was getting beaten senseless under the rim?... alright those are stronger words than what happened, but dwight is a big guy, and he ended up fracturing a bone in his chest with all of the punishment he got delt. we sent gortat and garrity out there to do what? foyle as great a guy as he is, is a polite individual who advocates peace on all fronts, maybe we don't need dorsey but we need a dorsey like attitude on the team. who in here didn't want someone to shove maxiell and ratliff into a camera man when they were throwing elbows and slaps dwight's way? dwight has his image, and he's a nice guy, but i'd like to see him get fed up and throw a punch one day, not in a playoff game, but just one, just to throw one guy into a coma, just to send a message, and he needs to be more stern with other big's to set an example, but lewis/hedo aren't going to back him up in a fight, dorsey would see a hard foul from maxiell/ratliff/whoever and then when the time was right he'd make sure they got an elbow in their kidney or a shoulder to their face box out... is there anyone in here who is hating dorsey for yelling at a guy who has actually played in a basketball league? i'm not talking jv/varsity high school league, or a church league, or even an office league, i'm talking the downtown orlando paramore league, or even a pick up game in a neighborhood that has to have a cop roll by every 20 minutes or all hell would break loose? you seriously need some more attitude on the court, alot more than we have now.

i'm glad we signed peaches for this reason, i was shocked at the signing to tell you the truth, i was born and spent the first 7 years of my life in the part of the caribbean he's coming from, it's a rough and wild place, kidnappings, drugs, fights, that's the off resort night life. i thought the magic would have realized this and not signed the guy, because if anything ever went down on the court peitrus would be in the middle of it, i'll put money on it right now, if punches start flying peitrus would be throwing back something serious, i'm guessing the magic execs have only seen the part of the caribbean that are inside resort walls. and those of you reading this saying that foyle is from the caribbean, there are two kind of people from the caribbean, the person that wants to be an intellecutal and talk about the government and whatever, and the person that would beat *** at the drop of a hat.

and those of you still hung up on jj... he's like having regular mustard in the fridge, you'll use it when the spicy mustard runs out, but until then you'll keep wondering why the hell you bought it.... we need to trade him for some bbq sauce.

looks like if we ever played a game of ball between all of us i'll take soulbro and killing on my team because they understand physical play and intimidation are more important than an honor student on the court.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

and those of you still hung up on jj... he's like having regular mustard in the fridge, you'll use it when the spicy mustard runs out, but until then you'll keep wondering why the hell you bought it.... we need to trade him for some bbq sauce.

lol

Magicfreak, please explain to me how Dorsey is a dirty player. I appreciate your position, but try not to turn this guy into something he's not simply to defend your position. I mean, driving on a suspended license? Good lord.

Listen to Dorsey speak sometime. The guys well spoken & articiulate. Yes, he's from a very tought neighborhood and yes, Memphis is a tough city, but trying to define him by those singular facts is stereotyping by the lowest possible common denominators & off base.

Ask his teammates and to a man they love the guy. Why, cuz he does ish like stick up for a teammates who probably won't even be his teammate in a week.

Our players are pretty soft as marshmallows when its comes to jawing against other players. The only one the really intimidates is Howard...but he's still soft personality wise.

What exactly was Dorsey "saying" is what I would like to know. You guys are probably assuming that he was cursing or being thuggish during his so called "tirade". Situations seem different from another's point of view.

And if you guys say we need toughness..then why not this guy? He's not scared of losing money obviously. Take a look at our players?

I could go on on how the Magic never get calls because they don't curse out the refs from time to time. Theres a time for class....and theres a time for little rant. BTW, did Rashard Lewis pick up like 2 or 3 techs last season. I swear kobe picks up like 18 and 19 a year. Talk about overpaid.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

lol

Magicfreak, please explain to me how Dorsey is a dirty player. I appreciate your position, but try not to turn this guy into something he's not simply to defend your position. I mean, driving on a suspended license? Good lord.

Listen to Dorsey speak sometime. The guys well spoken & articiulate. Yes, he's from a very tought neighborhood and yes, Memphis is a tough city, but trying to define him by those singular facts is stereotyping by the lowest possible common denominators & off base.

Ask his teammates and to a man they love the guy. Why, cuz he does ish like stick up for a teammates who probably won't even be his teammate in a week.

I don't think he is a dirty player, I don't think Dorsey is Dirty, all I am really saying is that he is kind of rough around the edges, and would be a risk, because I don't view him as an intellegent guy with his off the court actions. Aside from his inability to shoot the ball any where near target, I have no problem with his on the court game.

Oh yea and for that guy cunningstunt calling me out like that, I promise if we play ball I will Dunk it Right on YOUR HEAD!!!

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

And if you guys say we need toughness..then why not this guy? He's not scared of losing money obviously. Take a look at our players?

nor is he scared of losing games with his mouth.