Sign in to follow this  
Mr Charisma

Has the Turnover situation been addressed?

We've added Lee, Pietrus and AJ.

We've lost Arroyo, Dooling, Evans and, worst of all, Garrity (the god of all positions).

One of the major problems of this team last year, particularly in the Detroit series, was the continuation of the turnover problems.

Do you see any significant improvement in this area?

I realize that Otis is likely not done filling out his roster yet, so it may be unfair asking this question at this time. But who said we have to be fair?

DISCLAIMER: Yeah, I know that we haven't necessarily lost some of those that I listed but, for the purpose of this conversation, let's assume I'm right (it's asking alot, I know).

We've added Lee, Pietrus and AJ.

We've lost Arroyo, Dooling, Evans and, worst of all, Garrity (the god of all positions).

One of the major problems of this team last year, particularly in the Detroit series, was the continuation of the turnover problems.

Do you see any significant improvement in this area?

I realize that Otis is likely not done filling out his roster yet, so it may be unfair asking this question at this time. But who said we have to be fair?

DISCLAIMER: Yeah, I know that we haven't necessarily lost some of those that I listed but, for the purpose of this conversation, let's assume I'm right (it's asking alot, I know).

I think that the turnover situation will be resolved when our team (Jameer, Hedo, Dwight) all of them learn to make better decisions.

I dont think the addition of some complimentary pieces fixes it. Attention to detail and proper execution takes care of it.

I would think under a second year of SVG, we will all see a better level of play, especially aspects that frustrate us all.

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

I think that the turnover situation will be resolved when our team (Jameer, Hedo, Dwight) all of them learn to make better decisions.

I dont think the addition of some complimentary pieces fixes it. Attention to detail and proper execution takes care of it.

I would think under a second year of SVG, we will all see a better level of play, especially aspects that frustrate us all.

I agree, Nat. And don't forget about Rashard. The entire core had their share of "fumblitis", "getting the ball stripped", and "throwing the ball into the hands of the opponent"...ALL OF THEM!

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

quote:

I agree, Nat. And don't forget about Rashard. The entire core had their share of "fumblitis", "getting the ball stripped", and "throwing the ball into the hands of the opponent"...ALL OF THEM!

And TMF07, that is exactly my concern. We're not talking about a player or two that struggled with turnovers. We're talking about ALL OF THEM. Why should we necessarily think that all these same guys will suddenly stop having this problem?

If our primary hope is familiarity with the system and each other, that doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies (although I'm not sure I want them either; sounds a little creepy actually).

Again, I'd like for someone to point out to me 1 guy on this roster that understands how to consistently deliver an entry pass to Dwight (and, yeah, some of this is on Dwight, too).

AJ may be able to, but I'm not sure that he and Dwight will be on the floor at the same time very often.

Hopefully Nat and yourself are correct.

the funny thing about that stupid 'dwight at point' post from a few months ago is that it's the answer, but not in the game, our old coach would make the big man run point during practice and scrimmage to learn how to pass and handle the ball better, and he'd make the point guard run center so they learned how to post up and defend taller guys, if anything the players got a better perspective as to where the ball needs to be and where it's coming from during low post passing plays, maybe the magic should do some role changing during practice.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

quote:

And TMF07, that is exactly my concern. We're not talking about a player or two that struggled with turnovers. We're talking about ALL OF THEM. Why should we necessarily think that all these same guys will suddenly stop having this problem?

If our primary hope is familiarity with the system and each other, that doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies (although I'm not sure I want them either; sounds a little creepy actually).

Again, I'd like for someone to point out to me 1 guy on this roster that understands how to consistently deliver an entry pass to Dwight (and, yeah, some of this is on Dwight, too).

AJ may be able to, but I'm not sure that he and Dwight will be on the floor at the same time very often.

Hopefully Nat and yourself are correct.

Well I do know its in our being. I think it was the first month or two of last season, we were one of the best in the league for taking care of the ball. We did get worse but it is in our being.

I just dont believe the addition of players changes our problems. Like I said, its only execution and the attention to detail that changes things like turnovers, missed free throws, etc.

This team and most of our players have been playing with a revolving door of regimes in their 3-4 years in this league. Hopefully with our staff settled and knowing where we are and what we expect, it brings a stronger will and attention to the details that will cure those ills

To add to your side of the argument, Rashard will now have a year under his belt at the PF position, which was brand new to him last year, so that experience alone should help him during the times that he is playing PF again this year.

quote:

To add to your side of the argument, Rashard will now have a year under his belt at the PF position, which was brand new to him last year, so that experience alone should help him during the times that he is playing PF again this year.

Agreed, not to mention just the time being around the coaches and the organization. I would hope that Lewis asserts himself a bit more on and off the court.

I think we have players that can really step up and lead this team and I hope Lewis can be one of them

quote:

quote:

Agreed, not to mention just the time being around the coaches and the organization. I would hope that Lewis asserts himself a bit more on and off the court.

I think we have players that can really step up and lead this team and I hope Lewis can be one of them

Yeah, honestly I'm a big Shard fan. I really hope he comes with the attitude of DEMANDING the ball this year. I know that's not been his M.O., so I'm probably asking for too much.

quote:

Except for the fact that he's not a power forward whatsoever.

I think Mr. Charisma has a bit of a point here. C-Lee's weakness coming out of college? Ball handling. And he showed that, unfortunately, in Summer League play. Pietrus has been known to fumble the ball at times too.

I think the one huge upgrade, if he has to play a lot of minutes backing up Jameer, is Johnson instead of Dooling at the point. Not that Dooling turned the ball over a lot, however he didn't get very many good shots for his teammates either. Anthony Johnson will.

I don't think Otis should be blamed or should be the one fixing the turnover problem. That's something the coach and practice would have to address. What's Otis going to do? Trade all the players for guys with less To's?

Its up to the players and the coaches to work on that and minimize the errors. I think, like most have already posted, another year together would make them better, last season they got in that groove and now they have to continue. You would think that after a couple of months playing together they would learn each other's tendencies and weaknesses. I guess not, but I don't expect it to continue much longer.

I mean, going from the last BHill year, that we averaged liek 100 turnovers a quarter, to last year, we improved a lot. During the playoffs, we could attribute it to the guys being nervous and unexperienced. That should be better as they continue to play in the postseason.

I see good things next year, we should be better.