Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Denton's in the HOUSE!!! Magic trying to trade for Crittenton(link)

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

All of this is speculation because we don't know if there was a 2nd rounder offered for JJ. I tend to think not since Riley had to pay 1.5 and give up 2 future 2nd's for Chalmers.

It's not speculation at all. Denton wrote that the Magic were looking to deal Redick on draft day, but a 2nd round pick is all that we were offered.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I'm not nitpicking, but Hickson went in the 1st.

I slipped. I actually meant DJ White. Sorry. Trying to keep up with a million things at work this morning.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

By the way can someone answer this for me. Why do teams trade their picks for cash before the draft. Denver came out and said they would not have traded the pick if they knew Chalmers was on the board. Well why wouldn't they prearrange the trade before the draft on a contingency that the one guy the want is not gone. Same for the New Orleans Hornets. It seems that you could leverage the pick more on draft night as guys fall down in the draft.

In a draft as deep as this one, it makes no sense. Way before the draft occured, there were rumors that numerous teams were looking to obtain 2nd round picks. Maybe the Hornets & Nuggets GMs rolled the dice and lost. Perhaps they thought that none of the players slated to fall would actually fall. They thought they were getting good value by trading their picks prior to the draft, but as it turns out they weren't.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

I'm not nitpicking, but Hickson went in the 1st.

I slipped. I actually meant DJ White. Sorry. Trying to keep up with a million things at work this morning.

You need to get your priorities straight.

About the 2nd rounder for JJ, what I was thinking about was where it was located. Are we talking about the last 10 picks in the 2nd round or would it have been one that we could have used on White, Chalmers, Dorsey?

If it's not for someone that can turn into something I wouldn't have bothered with it either even if it cost us Keyon.

quote:

About the 2nd rounder for JJ, what I was thinking about was where it was located. Are we talking about the last 10 picks in the 2nd round or would it have been one that we could have used on White, Chalmers, Dorsey?

If it's not for someone that can turn into something I wouldn't have bothered with it either even if it cost us Keyon.

Let me ask you this. Right now would you trade Dooling straight up for JJ? Because, in a round about way, that is what happened. We chose to keep JJ and lose Dooling.

And before anybody comes in and says, "you don't know what Otis was thinking". I know that there must have been a plan. Well, I'm hoping that there was a plan. You don't need to be able to predict the future (Nostradamus reference) in order to plan for the futre.

Otis knew that there were certain players we would target with the MLE. He knew what players should be available for the MLE. He likely knew that we had no intention of offering Dooling the MLE. Therefore, if you have any hope of retaining Dooling, you know you must move salaries.

A JJ for 2nd rounder trade would be very effective in accomplishing tha task.

So JJ straight up for Dooling. Would you do it?

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

2.) Denton said he couldn't gaurantee it but he thought the deal had a good chance of going down with the Magic only giving up a couple of 2nd round picks.

3.) John said he thought finality on this deal could happen within the next 2 or 3 days if it indeed does happen and it felt like it had a good chance of going down.

I'll take any & all bets at any amount anybody wants against this. Including Denton. I will bet Denton 1k against him giving me his column for a week on the DL. Name your price before noon tomorrow, I'll take it. I have takers, we will work out escrow & conditions.

When can we officially change the name of this thread to KITNO IS THE HOUSE?

Kitno, if it makes you feel good that you will win this bet have another beer on me. As is stated on the post, he didn't gaurantee anything. He said he "thought" there was a good chance of it going down like that.

Honestly, I don't care what back-ups we trade or how many picks we give up I just want one of the Grizzlies young point guards!

Sometimes I do wonder who's side you are on in this trade scenario, Kitno?

In your eyes, what would the Magic have to give up to get a deal done?

BJ, I'm j/k

I don't want Memphis to trash their team & they are my clear #2, but I don't have divided loyalty's either. It would be a great deal for Orlando, I would have liked to see it go down for Orlando, I just don't think it will, at least to that degree.

In my opinion:

1) I think Memphis values J-Crit over Lowry

2) I think it will take dumping Buckner for an expiring or a future 1st for Lowry. I think if we had Ariza is would be a no-brainer for both siides. About the only position Memphis lacks depth at is SF.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by soldjafluffy:

otis probably paid him to say that cuz we all kno otis keeps his cards close...

True, I think the whole world was stunned when we drafted Courtney Lee...

That was done on purpose to build more value for Lee. Simple math told the Magic that if a team took too early of a chance on Lee then a big they wanted like Speights would fall to them.

It worked, but it was Arthur, and the Magic never really had a lot of interest in him for whatever reason.

Can you tell me you knew Pietrus or AJ were going to sign here? Of course not, no one did.

These kind of things should be pretty obvious. It's like some folks criticize Otis blindly and in an uneducated way just to post negativity.

Memphis tried very hard to move up to 20 & 21 to nab Lee because everybody in the world knew that were he was going & Speights was gone. Seems to blow a hole in your theory and otis would have been left holding himself. Not to mention who could have possible predicted some of the stiff that went ahead of us.

We worked Lee out as a 2nd round prospect, until word began leaking that we were gaga over him, nobody ahead of us looked at him.

This is where I would have ripped you wide open a year ago, good day...

LOL..ripped me open? Wow, someone takes the internet way too seriously. Thank you for being merciful oh tough guy.

You just said Lee's value went up because Otis was gaga over him. Unless you are completely naive, you would know that no GM says they are gaga over a prospect unless it is for a reason.

If MEM moved up and stole Lee, I think it is safe to say that the Magic had other options. It is quite possible Arthur was right behind him. If Otis had drafted him, would he have been holding himself? No, you all would be Efiving each other.

And as for saying that Pietrus would be ideal here last year..big deal, we all have done that..that's not my point. My point is that no one anywhere online knew the Magic were talking with Peitrus or Johnson when it was going down.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Let me ask you this. Right now would you trade Dooling straight up for JJ? Because, in a round about way, that is what happened. We chose to keep JJ and lose Dooling.

And before anybody comes in and says, "you don't know what Otis was thinking". I know that there must have been a plan. Well, I'm hoping that there was a plan. You don't need to be able to predict the future (Nostradamus reference) in order to plan for the futre.

Otis knew that there were certain players we would target with the MLE. He knew what players should be available for the MLE. He likely knew that we had no intention of offering Dooling the MLE. Therefore, if you have any hope of retaining Dooling, you know you must move salaries.

A JJ for 2nd rounder trade would be very effective in accomplishing tha task.

So JJ straight up for Dooling. Would you do it?

I understand what you are saying and yes I value Keyon more than JJ but I don't think it is that simple. Last year we took a hit on moving the ball when Keyon came in so that we could get the defense at the point. We needed to get D and playmaking out of the point so Keyon became less of a fit for us. Looking at who we targeted (Duhon, Johnson)I think that is what they were looking at as well.

If we had a starting PG that could defend and run point, then yes I dump JJ ASAP to save Keyon. Unfortunatley we need to get both out of our backup because Jameer is weak on D.

Smack, I might be stating the obvious, but I don't think Otis really wanted Keyon back as our back-up pg, at least not at 3.5 mil/year.

Am I okay with that? Sure. IMHO, I really like the additions of AJ, MP, and CL. They all have defined roles at positions that needed makeovers.

Emory posted:

quote:
I really don't want to hijack this thread but really Military? I know Johnson isn't a sexy signing but he is solid.

Why Emory...why AJ isn't sexy? Did he beat the Dream Team? jejejeje!

...but I agree, AJ is solid, however, a little too old, and in case Jameer goes out for an extended period of time ( as he used to last season) we are in trouble!

KITNO, as I've said to you privately, I would be happy to land either Critt or Lowry. Right now, Lowry is the better player and the one I actually prefer.