Sign in to follow this  
bravlady

Otis Smith may not admit it, but J.J. Redick was a big mistake

umm.. This is the NBA, everyone is overpaid. I don't care how much a person makes as long as they produce. saving about 3 million over 3 yrs will not lead to signing a quality starter on this team. We could add another scrub right now if we wanted to. Any team that chooses to save money rather than pay for good players is a team destined to fail.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

All things considered, I do believe he would have been getting lots of consideration at the mid-level and strong consideration from GS, Philly, and the Clips - although they've now made their moves - at around $7m/yr.

Ummm...

They all made their moves at 10+ million. No other teams have cap space, and the teams that did have space wouldn't use it offering a RF like Meer a contract when there are much, much bigger names available.

The MLE is 6 million, and I'm sure Jameer would get an MLE offer, but being restricted we could match it, and move on having saved RDV 1-3 million over the life of the contract.

So, in the grand scheme of things, you figure Otis overpaid by 1-3 million dollars, but at the same time also insured that nothing crazy happened, like Philly (Nelson's home town team), or GSW (needing PG help), tossing a little extra cash at Nelson just so Otis would match and end up having to pay more for his services?

All the fuss this past year seems a bit much for an overall savings of 1-3 million over the life of his contract.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

All the fuss this past year seems a bit much for an overall savings of 1-3 million over the life of his contract.

How about when compared to all the fuss about staying below the luxury tax? How about all the fuss about signing over the hill/has beens, with character issues to the vet min as being our best options?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

How about when compared to all the fuss about staying below the luxury tax? How about all the fuss about signing over the hill/has beens, with character issues to the vet min as being our best options?

Seeing that I don't believe Jameer should have received a 4th or 5th year on his deal, I'd say it comes out to more like 11-18 mill

I'd add, if I were Otis, there's about a 75% chance Jameer is playing on a 1 year deal this year which would change everything dramatically.

WoW! Nitpicking at its finest. This team has had a good summer already. Battie getting healthy, Pat Garrity done, CLEE, and Pietrus. This is an improvement on a team that went to the second round of the play offs. People want 5 allstars on this team, it ain't going to happen. We have a big 3, and all we needed was role players and depth. We are well on our way. Happiness and Bitterness is a personal choice! Chose to be excited about the season.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

The Magic had one of the 5/6 worst records in the league prior to making the Darko, Ariza, Arroyo deals. Then we went on a pointless tear and pushed ourselves to the end of the lottery.

Pointless now. But at the time, it was a big deal to all of us. It was a fun run. Darko never played better than on that streak. Hedo found himself. If those pesky flu symptoms had not come on the next year, he may have had his breakthrough season a year earlier and everything would have been different.

Oh well, like Abbie Hoffman said "nostalgia is just a mild form of depression."

quote:
3.)Not getting rid of brian hill earlier. He is the gm no matter what the owners want.

I actually agreed with quite a few of the mistakes that you listed but this one is just ignorance. RDV is Otis' boss therefore if Otis doesn't do what RDV wants he gets fired. That should be common sense.

quote:
Originally posted by lavell12:

i think the magic are the problem not jj.

At least one person in this whole forum with common sense. I owe you a cold one

Our front office is a joke, JJ has not gotten playing time, Fran didn't want to come here, and now word is they're looking at J-Will which Miami tried to (unsuccessfully) unload this season?

The real problem on this team is not JJ, Jameer or hindsight 20/20 whatifs in drafts. I am sure any shmuck on the street could be the greatest GM is he could look into the future a few years, which is essentially what you guys are doing.

The problem was three-fold:

1. Defense on the perimeter. (Magic didn't have the size or athleticism for this, they got it now.)

2. Getting a freaking rebound when we needed one. (Everyone forget the Detroit series? Second most important reason we lost. Battie and Gortat's emergence will help. At least they can box out in the PF position and aren't at the 3=point line. Not a lot of rebounds out there.)

3. Free throw shooting. (This is unacceptable. Primary reason we lost Detroit series. This does not require talent, athleticism, height. Further, Dwight was ineffective for long stretch during the Detroit series simple because he couldn't hit his free throws.)

^5 to Otis & JJ for hanging in there! JJ has really come around since the playoffs last year. His hard work is paying off for us big time~!!!

TYVM Soul Bro for bringing this back, I thought I was gonna' have to start yet another JJ thread LOL