Sign in to follow this  
killakuma

Dwight Howard, broken sternum?

I hear it on espn news. He's only out for a couple more weeks. They say he got hurt in the Detroit series.

I don't have a link but they said he's fine.

This thread was uncalled for!!

Seriously though, it freaked me out right away.

Injuries are really the only thing that will stop this guy, he is going to win a championship one day!

Dwight Howard was forced to sit out practice Saturday due to a stress fracture of his sternum, an injury he sustained during the Orlando Magic's second round playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons.

"It's a six to eight week recovery time, and this is the sixth week," said Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski, who expects Howard to be fully healed by the time the team reconvenes for training camp July 21.

Still, the injury is worrisome for the Americans, who are planning to go to Beijing with just three big men -- Howard, Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer. If Howard were to aggravate the injury, that lack of front-line depth could become a major issue.

Howard said he sustained the injury when he collided simultaneously and was sandwiched between Jason Maxiell and Arron Afflalo of the Pistons. Doctors told him it is an injury typically incurred by hockey players.

"It hurts. I haven't been able to really do anything since the playoffs, but it'll be all right," Howard said. "I should be fine by the time we start training camp. That's what the doctor said. So there's no worries for me or the staff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3465434

This injury is a a pretty annoying one when it comes to the long term judging from the one person I know that had one. My father broke his sternum at work and even though it healed he still has pain and discomfort there occasionally. I really hope this doesn't limit Dwight's mobility and beastliness.

I would strongly suggest he doesn't bother with the Olympics, stay home and heal up this summer.

quote:

I would strongly suggest he doesn't bother with the Olympics, stay home and heal up this summer.

I would love to see Howard skip Olympics and training onli on FT shooting, but I'm pretty sure he has a strong will to go anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

After this, I'd prefer he sit out the Olympics, no Dwight this season and the Magic are doomed.

I was looking forward to Howard versus the World. Part of me hopes he still plays, but yeah, I hear ya.

Any further injury to Howard would be devastating. I guess that goes without saying.