Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Poll ... Better Career: Lee or Arthur?

I chose Lee because he's a more focused and more rounded basketball player in arguably the best position that he can find himself to be in. He can come in right away and start at the 2 spot and play with some terrific players taking any load off of him and allowing him to develop in his own time. Whereas, Arthur goes to Memphis who's rebuilding and even though Mayo and Gay will shoulder the scoring load, Arthur will struggle in that frontcourt with the rebounding and defense because he is undersized and has no help (not sure if Marc Gasol will help). Arthur is in a good situation to get playing time but his development will be hindered because he would have to produce immediately when clearly he's not ready.

I chose Lee. Why? The more I read about the kid, the more I like him. I think he can be a solid NBA SG for years.

I didn't choose Arthur for two reasons. First, he is a shrimp, or should I say noodle, at 6'9'' 216 pounds. I weigh more than this cat at 6'5'' and 220 pounds, and I am pretty thin. Second, his motor often is questioned.

Honestly, had you asked me yesterday who I would have rather had, I would have said Arthur. But I have changed my opinion based on the apparent readiness and skill of Lee versus the noodle-likeness and questioned motor of Arthur. Time will tell who will be the better pro.

I don't know who is going to have a better career but here is what Chad Ford said about the two players when giving an Otis a grade on our one lone draft selection:

quote:

Analysis: Lee was a "need" pick and a solid one. He can score a variety of ways, and the Magic needed a 2.

But he wasn't the best player on the board. Darrell Arthur, for instance, would have been a better pick.

I'm not down on Lee, but he's not a guy who can put them over the top.

For the record, he graded us a B- .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?c...e=DraftGrades-080627

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I don't know who is going to have a better career but here is what Chad Ford said about the two players when giving an Otis a grade on our one lone draft selection:

quote:

Analysis: Lee was a "need" pick and a solid one. He can score a variety of ways, and the Magic needed a 2.

But he wasn't the best player on the board. Darrell Arthur, for instance, would have been a better pick.

Ford is a moron. He had D. Jordan as a top 10 pick less than a month ago. And to his grade remarks, Arthur would have put us "over the top?"

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

Ford is a moron. He had D. Jordan as a top 10 pick less than a month ago. And to his grade remarks, Arthur would have put us "over the top?"

Man Soul, just last night you were raving about what a "STUD" Darrell Arthur is and how disappointed you were and how he just took over the National Championship game and what a skillful player he was.

Twelve hours made a huge difference in your opinion.

Junkie, actually I said I was okay that we took Lee. I preferred CDR but that was more out of familiarity. Yes, I did want us to trade for Arthur, too. However, after some thought, I found myself asking, "How many 216 pound power forwards make it in this league?" Even Jamison is 235+ pounds and he is a rare exception. IMO, Arthur has a huge uphill battle to climb to make it in the NBA.