Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

No Big man in he draft???

"Donnie Nelson said the Mavs were 'active' late in the first round and at various points in the second round. But teams wanted more cash for picks than Mark Cuban was willing to cough up.

'We didn't feel the price was right,' Nelson said."

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/picks-w...-for-mavs-blood.html

I apologize if this has already been posted. It is VERY relevant to this discussion. If Mark Cuban wouldn't shell out money for a late first or early second rounder b/c the price was too high, the price was too high, imo. Hate on Otis, hate on Cuban.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:

I actually have faith that Batie will play strong this comming year. I just feellike we as you say could use the depth, and it would not have cost much to take a shot at a couple second rounders here.

This is exactly the effed up way of thinking that Magic management has employed. A few weeks ago Otis was quoted saying something to the effect, that getting Battie back was like having an extra 1st round pick. Huh?

I'm more than a little scrared that MJ seems to be the only front office executive in the NBA that is worse than Otis now. Even McHale was able to parley his #3 pick and an expiring contract to get Love and Mike Miller.

It just sucks to see the other teams getting creative, while our GM sticks to the same old song and dance. Otis should have packed up and gone on vacation weeks ago, only to return briefly for Free Agency. With all the activity that was swirling around the NBA last night, for him not to get involved in at least acquiring a 2nd round pick, is inexcusable.

The only thing saving Otis is that we have a team that will win over 50 games again next season - I agree that we have passed on opportunities to improve.

The two biggest mistakes - not moving Garrity and Arroyo at the trade deadline last year - you could have included JJ.

And, two - not picking up another pick here in the draft - it doesn't look like there really was any maneuvering attempted. Otis has only been able to do the beyond obvious with Lewis and he blew that too - overpaying and giving up a 2nd round pick to extend the max agremeent an extra year.

He lucked into SVG. We will be good again and Otis will be recognized as a good GM, but it will eventually catch up to him.

Oh, and 3 - Darko - was stupid to loose him.

quote:
Originally posted by Big EB:

there is always free agency and trades available to pick up a nba veteran big.

That's the point I was hoping to get the playmaker through free agency of trade.

I wonder if he plans on bringing in some big guys from that second round that don't make teams to play for us in the summer league? Nah probably not that might mess up the chemistry of our summer league team.

One thing is for sure. Come Monday, we better be on the phones calling Portland (too many bigs), New York (Lee) and New Jersey (same as Portland) and maybe even Seattle (Collison).

I'm happy with the Lee selection. I think he can step in and contribute immediately. I'm also not a big fan of Arthur and I seriously question how much he would help us with rebounding and post defense....which is what we need. I think Otis is getting some unfair criticism for this pick.

He deserves all of the criticism for his actions, or more appropriately inaction, the rest of the draft. It is very difficult to get quality frontcourt help in this league. Not only could we have gotten that help last night but we could have gotten it for a very affordable rate. There is no excuse for this. I don't agree with Smack and Kitno very often but I've come around on the Otis issue. Either he is in over his head or he is completely unwilling to take chances (although I really fail to see how acquiring a second round pick is a risk). Neither one of those choices are very comforting.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

It's not that I think Hedo is Nash or something like that, it's more a comment on our situation. Jameer can't handle playmaking duties all on his own, right now Hedo is the only person that shoulders some of that load.

What I'm getting at is instead of calling up a team and saying hey how about Hedo for your rebounding defending PF, we are going to have to call up and say hey how about Hedo for your rebounding defending PF and your defending solid backup PG, at which point that team will laugh in our faces.

Yep, Can't agree more! 100,000,000,000,000,000 %

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I'm happy with the Lee selection. I think he can step in and contribute immediately. I'm also not a big fan of Arthur and I seriously question how much he would help us with rebounding and post defense....which is what we need. I think Otis is getting some unfair criticism for this pick.

He deserves all of the criticism for his actions, or more appropriately inaction, the rest of the draft. It is very difficult to get quality frontcourt help in this league. Not only could we have gotten that help last night but we could have gotten it for a very affordable rate. There is no excuse for this. I don't agree with Smack and Kitno very often but I've come around on the Otis issue. Either he is in over his head or he is completely unwilling to take chances (although I really fail to see how acquiring a second round pick is a risk). Neither one of those choices are very comforting.

name prospect from last night that could have come in and started for us at PF in front of Battie, Cook, or Augustine? I would have liked to get Dorsey, but he is a energy guy off the bench at best. There were 30 other teams that past over those guys more than once to pick some 5ppg european league bench warmer.. Are those GMs not "worthless" for not picking them? There games don't fit our style. We are not a low post, slow grind team. It's not like we past over Al Horford or Kevin Love. There will be players cut with NBA experience that we can pick up. We don't have too many SG's... Dooling may walk, Evans may walk, and Bogans can be traded.

Listen for those that think Otis will trade Hedo for a PF listen up NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Otis does not gamble he really believes we can have the same sucess we had last year with Shard at the 4. Heres whats funny, lets assume we play Toronto in 1st round again now and they get JO we will not win this series. It will take to game 4 to insert Battie in starting lineup and Hedo off bench and we still will not advance. I run a Local Baseball team and even I know you put a core together and u look at the top teams in youe league compare teams and make adjustments. Its worked for the last 10 years for me. We have been top 3 team in league for 10 years. Sitting in 1st right now. Believe me Otis has NO CLUE for now or the FUTURE...

Hedo will not be traded IMO. Because Otis is happy with being the 3rd or 4th best team in the east. It puts butts in the seats and makes him look good. He is not a championship GM. Not now and not ever. He will play it safe and we will be nothing but contenders or pretenders whichever you like.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Everyone that I was watching the draft with was saying how interesting things got when we saw that Arthur was still out there. Once we picked Lee we were saying how we needed to buy another first or a 2nd rounder to grab the 4.

Now this morning just like Smack I expected to pull up the site and find that we picked up one and I see nothing. Now we have 2 spots to fill and only the MLE to do it with (barring a trade).

What is even more frustrating is we sold our 2nd rounder last year but didn't buy one this year while teams like Denver were giving up picks in the same range for future considerations.

With every transaction, trade deadline, and draft that passes I find myself saying I just have to wait and see what happens, I don't think I need to do that anymore.

Welcome to the Dark Side

dark-side.jpg

Seriously, I'll continue taking heat for bashing Otis, just as I took it for bashing Brian Hill. Cuz Otis is equally incompetent. I don't see many people regretting the decision to fire Brian Hill & I don't bash SVG. As my sig used to say, you can call my a pessimist, try and read between the lines. I think our front office could use the Enema those words come from.